Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Are the 80s still really considered modern?

It was 25 years ago and other than production run, the 80s have everything in common with the cards before them and nothing in common with the cards after them. Topps cards in '55, '65, '75 and '85 were printed and cut the same way. Picture on one side and one color on the cardboard back with stats. Then they were distributed in wax packs with gum. '95, '05 and '14 saw none of that. Glossy pics with high tech printing. No gum, Foil, holograms, inserts and tamper proof packaging. What criteria for the cards themselves separate the 80s from what came before as opposed to the major differences in what came after?
To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15

Comments

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Yes...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I have collected Topps from 1948 to 2014. Folks should collect what they like or what they relate to best. If you are collecting as an invetment, that is something different altogether.
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I hear "modern," I think of glossy cards and inserts, 1995 or later, but that's just me. I wouldn't consider 1982 topps modern by any means, though I wouldn't necessarily categorize it as "vintage," either.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    Comic book collecting uses the following (for the most part):

Golden Age (1938-1950)
    Silver Age (1956-1970)
    Bronze Age (1970-1985)
    Modern Age (1985-Present)
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, I think this is an exercise in semantics. Modern is going to have a different meaning to each person. Maybe....

19th century
    Pre-War
    Post-War
    Post-Gum

?

For the longest time I considered post-1980 as "modern" but if we all want to decide that post-1990 is now modern, that's cool with me.
  • Options
    scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    Maybe there can be a division between 'Modern' and 'Vintage'. We can call it the 'Overproduction Era'.
  • Options
    I wonder myself. I kind of use the 30 year rule. So a moving target...it would be nice if we had a standard.
  • Options
    It changes of course - in autographs, to me, something from 1980 is in no way vintage. But, I am 44. Vintage might be anything before you were born - still different for all.

Eric

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    When kids started placing there cards in penny sleeves to keep them mint they gave birth to junk modern wax and that happen in the 80's.
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    For me it's when the 4th major manufacturer hit the scene. So 88 for me. By 89 we had Upper Deck join the fray, and then it was a mess, at least 5 brands running and then it was Stadium Club and Ultra, etc. added to the mix. That was the beginning of the end of what I knew to be card collecting. Quality was up, but so was price and selection, making a constant guessing game for the buyer/collector, and it was all so mass produced that none of it had value.

Perfect timing for me to head off to college and leave collecting mostly behind me, until recently.

Though it's even more of a mess now. Just too much crap to choose from.

For the most part, Heritage and Archives are the only modern I really like.

One guys opinion.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I think the term 'modern', in this context, refers to the approximate year in which people began to realize that the current year's cards carried monetary value. Where you want to draw that line I don't know, but clearly a kid breaking a pack in 1954 had a different perspective on that pack's contents than a kid cracking a wax pack in 1986.
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Vintage>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Modern

It's a sliding scale, depending on the current year and how
    old you are.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like R.C.'s "Post-Gum"

• Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    What was the last year to have gum? I think 1991-92 OPC hockey still had gum in it.

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    For me "modern" is once baseball was integrated, so basically when Bowman and Leaf started in '48.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>For me "modern" is once baseball was integrated, so basically when Bowman and Leaf started in '48. >>

Yeah but you're a dusty old fart.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When I hear "modern," I think of glossy cards and inserts..... >>

Exactly this!!!

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>For me "modern" is once baseball was integrated, so basically when Bowman and Leaf started in '48. >>

Yeah but you're a dusty old fart. >>

Said the guy with the old peoples ailment

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Dementia isn't just for old people.
  • Options
    The 1980's should be referred to as the steroid era.

Players were on steroids.
    Card companies production were on steroids.

Anything per-1979 is vintage in my book.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭✭
    Traditionally the modern era was 1981-present...today well, yeah it does get a bit more complicated. 1992 is probably when the idea of inserts really took off though.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Not sure about cards, but do know that neither Arthur or Anthony are modern...or mint
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    postmodernism presumably became an accepted term of our culture in the late 20th century, so anything which preceded it was modern. anything which preceded modern was pre-modern and anything which follows postmodern is post-postmodern. there is also a period of deconstruction somewhere in there, as well as a little black hole known as nap.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Unfortunately, I think this is an exercise in semantics. Modern is going to have a different meaning to each person. Maybe.... >>

Huh!?!?!

• Options

<< <i>Not sure about cards, but do know that neither Arthur or Anthony are modern...or mint >>

My centering is a bit off.
  • Options

<< <i>I like R.C.'s "Post-Gum" >>

+1
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Not sure about cards, but do know that neither Arthur or Anthony are modern...or mint >>

My centering is a bit off. >>

Top to bottom or left to right? image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    So from what I gather from the group, there are several schools of thought. The least compelling to me are the "because I said so" and "it's when I quit collecting as a kid" approaches. I do appreciate them being brought up since it's what many people use. Then there is the relation to the collecting trends and state of mind of the collectors. While that's not my preference, it does apply a specific criteria for someone to use within the decision making process, which is really what I think should be there.

I'm not sure what to think of Anthony's call on '48+ being modern. I need something different for current 1 of 1 lottery tickets at $100 a pack vs my '65 5 cent pack. Somehow AARP collectors seem like a different crowd than the kids in the LCS today. My gut also tells me that all the senior citizens should have been born before the time we are using the word modern in collecting. Admittedly, that's arbitrary.

Then there is the distinction that goes with the cards and packaging. I personally can't get away from this idea as a breaking point. If the 80s need a sub classifiaction for some, I can see that. There is the change in attitude, but also the addition of the other card companies. And of course '83 fleer packs boast that there are pictures on both sides of the cards inside!

Aurthur, I like post gum! It's clean and allows for the grey transition that is the reality of the situation. 1990 topps fits the old cards in terms of actual product, while '89 upper deck fits with the newer. The gum is a clear indicator.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Top to bottom or left to right? image >>

I think both for most of us. We really just need to avoid that (MC) tag.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forget.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Top to bottom or left to right? image >>

Top to bottom. I'd say conservatively I'm a PSA 5(ST)
  • Options
    Vintage to me is a term in which it represents to me the late 60's and earlier. The fact that there are plenty of sealed wax still out there from the 70's even (maybe not through BBCE but its out there being stored away) to me doesnt count as vintage. When i see cards from 1975 for example, i dont classify that as vintage. As someone mentioned, its like the golden era of baseball - when the world was compleely different and not every home had more than 1 tv and such. Vintage was a time period when it comes to cards, yet i see a toy from the early 80's and i have no issue calling that vintage - i dunno. At the end of the day, no - i do not consider (baseball cards at least) from the 80's vintage.
  • Options
    According to the PSA set registry, a modern set/issue is anything 1970 or later..

Set Registry Winners

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>According to the PSA set registry, a modern set/issue is anything 1970 or later..

Set Registry Winners >>

But if you used that for unopened then virtually all unopened is considered modern
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>According to the PSA set registry, a modern set/issue is anything 1970 or later..

Set Registry Winners >>

But if you used that for unopened then virtually all unopened is considered modern >>

True. I wasn't suggesting it was accurate or should be used as the demarcation point between vintage and modern; it was more of just an observation on PSA's part.