Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I'm crushed. . .

coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
imageimageimage

I've been working on the certified set of 1878 8TF Morgan die varieties for 20 years. I know where a certified MS-64 example of a VAM 9 resides since 2001. In 2004, a certified example of VAM 9 in MS-63 passed through a Smythe auction. I was underbidder. This year, an NGC-62 example sold as part of Eric Newman's collection. I missed that sale, but the same coin reappeared in the market in PCGS-63 with no provenance on the insert. It quickly sold privately before I got a chance to see it in hand. Oh well, whats another 10 years of waiting for another to appear . . . image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Comments

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Hang in there you'll get it sooner or later...

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    wow! good luck! isn't that the one with a recorded mintage of something paltry like 303?

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    That's the "first die pair" variety, right? Testing my limited VAM knowledge.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, what you really need to do is get off you arse and Cherrypick one. Specimens in holders are in limited quantity, as you know, but since there are no major diagnostics for the variety, i.e. Die breaks, cracks, cuds, etc, most people overlook it. Since you know the key diagnostic (kidney bean shaped feathers @ lower right wing, IIRC - working off hand here), you possess knowledge that 95% of dealers do not.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    NFC coin has an AU-55 on the bay
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, 20 years---That is some real PATIENCE, which is something that I have been losing more and more, as of late. I doubt that I could wait another two much less TEN! I hope that something turns up for you sooner rather than later. Things have a way of presenting themselves, when you don't expect it (and, yes, GOOD things, too! ) image

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a big proponent of specialization and patience...but you have taken both to an extreme. If I were you, I would either get more aggressive and find out who owns those coins and reach out to them with an offer they shouldn't refuse; or I would find something else to collect.
  • Options
    NewRoseNewRose Posts: 309 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm a big proponent of specialization and patience...but you have taken both to an extreme. If I were you, I would either get more aggressive and find out who owns those coins and reach out to them with an offer they shouldn't refuse; or I would find something else to collect. >>

Some people like the hunt. If I was the OP and I finally got the coin, it would be a bittersweet "now what" moment for sure.

Successful BST transactions with: copperhunter (2010), Tdec1000 (2010), barrytrot (2011), kaz, (2011), Metalsman (2011), jimineez1 (2020), U1chicago (2020)

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm a big proponent of specialization and patience...but you have taken both to an extreme. If I were you, I would either get more aggressive and find out who owns those coins and reach out to them with an offer they shouldn't refuse; or I would find something else to collect. >>

Some people like the hunt. If I was the OP and I finally got the coin, it would be a bittersweet "now what" moment for sure. >>

Yes, but I'm pretty sure it's a bittersweet "now what" moment that the OP wants to experience sooner rather than later.

The thrill of the hunt is a big part of what makes this hobby fun...but other big parts are the find and ownership.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Some people like the hunt. If I was the OP and I finally got the coin, it would be a bittersweet "now what" moment for sure. >>

Yes, but I'm pretty sure it's a bittersweet "now what" moment that the OP wants to experience sooner rather than later.

The thrill of the hunt is a big part of what makes this hobby fun...but other big parts are the find and ownership. >>

Yes, I totally agree with MLC. The thrill of the hunt is nice but it can be very tiresome and anti-climactic. The pride of ownership and satisfaction of completion/success is HUGE IMHO. It's hard to imagine a 'now what' scenario, as there will always be upgrades, more esoteric/common dates & even proofs to pursue & collect. I believe that you can feel a sense of accomplishment with still plenty to do such as I outlined. If you REALLY feel like you've gone as far as you can go, then just keep what you have and start a new series. That way you can have your cake and eat it, too, so to speak.

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

The thrill of the hunt is a big part of what makes this hobby fun...but other big parts are the find and ownership. >>

Yes, I totally agree with MLC. The thrill of the hunt is nice but it can be very tiresome and anti-climactic. The pride of ownership and satisfaction of completion/success is HUGE IMHO. It's hard to imagine a 'now what' scenario, as there will always be upgrades, more esoteric/common dates & even proofs to pursue & collect. I believe that you can feel a sense of accomplishment with still plenty to do such as I outlined. >>

If you REALLY feel like you've gone as far as you can go, then just keep what you have and start a new series. That way you can have your cake and eat it, too, so to speak. >>

AND . . . when you quit searching, just when you least expect it, a nice example will practically fall right into your lap, so to speak . . .

Best of luck ! ! ! image

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Don't fret, as others have eluded to just keep at it and one day it should happen.

I just came to terms and closed on my white whale coin after about 6 years of day dreaming. Not only is my rarest coin it is the new center piece to my trade dollar set. You never know what a new day will bring. image

Happy hunting
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, but I'm pretty sure it's a bittersweet "now what" moment that the OP wants to experience sooner rather than later. >>

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Ouch, that really hurts. I've had a similar experience of missing a near unique piece. All you can do is let the owner(s) know you're a willing buyer and to remember you when they decide to sell. And remember, EVERY coin sells eventually.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next time nuke bid. There is no option.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with either the nuke bid option or contacting the current owners with a prime offer they likely will not refuse.... I do not like long waits....Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with either the nuke bid option or contacting the current owners with a prime offer they likely will not refuse.... I do not like long waits....Cheers, RickO >>

RickO makes a good point. Perhaps making a "prime offer" may be just enough to shake the coin loose. And even if he doesn't accept, your offer will stay in his head. And when the time comes that the owner needs funds, you'll be the path of least resistance.

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To those of you advising the "nuke bid" approach, are you aware of what Mint State examples of VAM 9 go for on the very rare occasions they appear? (Hint: Ignore what Greysheet says for 1878 8TF and skip down to 1879-CC. That's a better starting point, although I'd be surprised if a PCGS-63 or 64 went that low.)
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>To those of you advising the "nuke bid" approach, are you aware of what Mint State examples of VAM 9 go for on the very rare occasions they appear? (Hint: Ignore what Greysheet says for 1878 8TF and skip down to 1879-CC. That's a better starting point, although I'd be surprised if a PCGS-63 or 64 went that low.) >>

This is what the OP has chosen to collect. I have to assume he knows the price he has to pay.

If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the OP is an experienced VAM collector who is well aware of what a major prize a VAM 9 is in Mint State, and what such things cost.

But my post was not directed at him, but rather for the people who are advising him to take the nuke bid approach. Do they understand that could be a five-figure proposition?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, the OP is an experienced VAM collector who is well aware of what a major prize a VAM 9 is in Mint State, and what such things cost.

But my post was not directed at him, but rather for the people who are advising him to take the nuke bid approach. Do they understand that could be a five-figure proposition? >>

Well, if that's what it takes, then it should be expected. If not, then maybe it's time to start collecting something else. If you can't run with the big dogs, then you'd better stay on the porch. I mean that in the sincerest way possible and with no disrespect.

• Options

<< <i>Yes, the OP is an experienced VAM collector who is well aware of what a major prize a VAM 9 is in Mint State, and what such things cost.

But my post was not directed at him, but rather for the people who are advising him to take the nuke bid approach. Do they understand that could be a five-figure proposition? >>

No, I did not / do not know the value of various VAMs although I don't see how that changes things. If coindeuce is a significant collector of VAMs, I must assume he's up for a five-figure proposition.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the suggestion is that five-figures is a lot, isn't that the definition of nuclear? Nuclear options are not without consequences.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Continue with patience. It's how all truly great sets are built. It takes a combination of money and opportunity, neither of which happen quickly image
    Doug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file