Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

USA: copper-nickel three-cent piece, 1880 proof

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
USA: copper-nickel three-cent piece, 1880 proof

PCGS PR64, cert. #29545093. Ex-"liberty.coin", eBay, 6/26/2014. Mintage: 3,955.

I've always liked the look of proof 3cNs for their relative affordability. True, they're probably not too far behind Indian cents and Liberty nickels as far as the more commonly-encountered 19th century proofs go, but I always kind of wanted one. And so now I have one. I like proofs from the late 19th and early 20th century, but that's not a field I can play in very often, due to budgetary constraints. Though it has no fancy colors, it does look nice and frosty. I think it appears to have some nice near-cameo contrast. Maybe it just missed the CAM designation, who knows. I suspect it may be correctly graded at PR64, but then again, I've seen some subtle-contrast coins that got the CAM designation. Perhaps I'll try resubmitting it one day, and even if it doesn't go CAM, I'll get TrueView images for it. In the meantime, I'm happy with it the way it is.

Larger obverse picture (1000 x 1000)
Larger reverse picture (1000 x 1000)
PCGS cert verification page
PCGS priceguide trends
Numismedia priceguide trends

Wikipedia links:
Three-cent piece (US coin)
James B. Longacre (designer)

When posted here, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    (Edit- I put the commentary that was here into the description above.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    I like it image

Eric
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty coin.
    Larry

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it Lord M! The business strike 1880s were low-mintage too at 21,000 pieces.

Best Regards,

George
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin!
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin LordM...Congratulations....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful low-mintage and cameo 3CN proofs can be had for not much money, particularly in the 1880-89 range.

Very nice, Rob!
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've always liked the look of proof 3cNs for their relative affordability. >>

+1

the triglyph has always blown my mind on this issue and still does.

nice newp

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    I like these coins. I like them so much that I own way too many of them.
  • Options
    Ah, good. I think dpoole approval on a 3cN thread is akin to getting the nod from Rick Snow after you've posted an IHC. image

• Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on a fine addition to your collection.image

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always liked the Proof 3c nickels. Several years ago I started the set, but didn't finish it. Most are relatively inexpensive for a 19th century proof coin, and Robbie at Reeded Edge can find them with ease for his customers.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    I have one like it on sale on ebay now but is a PCGS PR65+. Same date and looks.
  • Options
    This coin has been in hand a while now, and I like it. I don't think it's a CAM contender after all, but a nice brilliant proof. Correctly graded, IMHO.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in agreement that it's a graphically beautiful design and a sweet example by my humble estimation.image
    Congratulations on the new addition and thanks for sharing this...

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice addition! I've only got one early proof myself, liberty nickel in 64cameo. I'll be looking for more soon.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice eye appealing proof example. Looks really close to cam from the pics Rob.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I too luv the coin.. There seems to be alot of proofs around at not so out of reach oor us average collectors.. Me i am trying to put together a pcgs xf 45 1861 set.. It is quite the challenge not only finding coins but coming up with the cash for these beauties

I luv your posts.. Keep em coming my friend
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like that coin with it's near-cameo attributes. Congrats!
  • Options
    JGnumismaticsJGnumismatics Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Very cool addition, I just got rid of my pr66 of the same date
    JG Numismatics
    Check out:
    coinsinnh.com
    or just type in JGnumismatics into google
    PCGS/NGC Authorized Dealer
    CAC Authorized Dealer
    ANA Member
    CSNS Member
    FUN Member
    Roundtable Trading member

References: USMarine6,Commoncents05,Timbuk3, lunytune2,Goldcoin98, and many more

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file