Home U.S. Coin Forum

An Intimate Encounter With The National Numismatic Collection at the Smithsonian LOTS OF PHOTOS

valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭
WARNING: THIS IS LONG AND VERY PHOTO INTENSIVE

Last year at Summer Seminar, a “Behind The Scenes” tour of the National Numismatic Collection was donated to the YN Benefit Auction by the then-Collections Manager Robin Einhorn. The lot was won by Glenn Holsonbake (ponyexpress8), and then donated to myself and another YN, Luis (coincast.) On Tuesday, Luis and I were finally able to make it to the Smithsonian and take advantage of the opportunity.

Our tour was given to us by the new collections manager, Hillery York, who was a very welcoming and knowledgeable host. Hillery was just out of grad school and was very enthusiastic about the collection, planning a new exhibit, and restarting traveling exhibit programs to coin shows.

Upon arriving at the museum, we were met by Hillery in the lobby (the museum had not opened yet, so the building was very quiet) and, after we were signed in with security, Hillery led us up the elevator to the 4th floor of the museum. We wound through several hallways and offices until we reached the Numismatics area. Hillery led us through a good sized numismatic library, and then through a smaller one, before we reached the vault door. Hillery let us in and we then followed her in and were signed in as officially entering the numismatic vault.

The “vault” itself is a very large room, probably 2500 sq ft, filled with several metals cabinets, each holding large trays that house coins and that can be pulled out. Hillery brought us to a large table where she had already pulled 35 coins and 1 piece of paper, and Luis and I spend at least an hour admiring and talking about these great coins, each working through the coins individually and showing each other coins we thought were extra special. Most of the coins were in the special museum holders NGC made for the collection that can be opened when the coins need to be accessed, but nothing was graded.

Here are several highlights. While an iPhone and overhead fluorescent lights come very close to the crappiest setup possible for taking pictures of coins, I’ve included several photos to try my best to show the coins in hand. The photos are a mix of my own and some are from Luis as well.
Let the show begin:

The first coin I picked up was the Judd-19 Copper striking of the 1794 Dollar, and this was a coin that I fell in love with, and actually was my favorite coin of the day and a coin I kept picking up over the next hour. The surfaces are fully PL and, though the copper has toned fairly dark, it is absolutely drop dead gorgeous, at least to my eyes. The eye appeal and pop of the coin, combined with its fantastic history, made it an absolute highlight.

This photo is close to garbage, but the best I could get to show the PL

The second coin I picked up was the J-1917 1907 Ultra High Relief $20 pattern on the reduced diameter planchet. I had seen this coins identical brother (there are 2 known, both in the NNC) on display at the Smithsonian previously and fell in love with the coin. It is remarkable just how fantastic this coin is, truly a work of art. Next to the reduced diameter coin was a normal sized ultra high relief. To put into perspective just how cool some of the coins were on this table, I just took a quick glance at the normal sized ultra high relief before moving on.

Here are both coins:

Next was the 1838 O Proof Half dollar. This is one of 6 coins estimated to have survived. This was a cool coin, but I had gotten to see the Eliasberg coin at the past FUN show, so I was a bit numb to this coin, but nonetheless a remarkable coin!

At this point, Luis passed me a 1907 No Motto $10 Indian, previously from the Hauck collection, and this coin absolutely knocks your socks off. It was without a doubt the nicest Indian, and most probably the nicest gold coin I’ve ever seen. It had to at LEAST be a 69... I took a video of the coin to be able to show the crazy luster, and posted it to youtube. Check it out, I promise you will enjoy it.

Youtube

After this, I looked at three of the Saints that Hillery had pulled for us: a 1933, 27-D, and 30-S. The 33 is a famous coin and was awesome to hold, as well as the 27-D. I’d grade both coins as 65s. The 30-S, while not as rare as the other two, was a superb gem, Lou graded it 68 and I graded it 67. We settled on 67+!

In addition to this, we saw one of the 1822 $5, but I stupidly neglected to take a photo!

Next up was an assortment of Proof Gold. WOW was all I could say. The unique 1826 proof $5 was gorgeous and one of the highlights. 1857 Proof $3, 1 of 6 estimated. Amazing. The unique 1860 J-272a Paquet Reverse Proof $20. Awesome.

A Brasher Half Doubloon was next, unique in this denomination, but practically the same design as the Brasher Doubloons that are seen occasionally. The EB punch on the half doubloon was on the top of the Eagle’s right wing. It was cool to see this after seeing the NGC 63 Doubloon that sold at FUN this year.

I then moved on to the 1792 Copper Patterns: the silver center cent, birch cent and copper Disme. All three were absolutely amazing to hold for their history and rarity. The Disme was especially phenomenal, in immaculate condition and appearing PL. It was gorgeous!

Another highlight from the first set of coins was the 1891 Pattern Dime, Quarter and Half dollars. It was cool to see the Quarters and Halves with the clouds above the eagle on the reverse, a design both Luis and I thought was nicer than the reverse without the clouds.

There were several other amazing coins in this first batch we saw, but I couldn't take photos of all of them because I wanted to actually be looking at the coins, not my iPhone the whole time.

Hillery had also pulled three Massachusetts silver coins that were “in the raw,” including an oak tree that was absolutely awesome! She also had pulled one of the $100,000 gold certificates. How cool to hold in hand!!

Hillery also pulled out on the large trays of errors in the NNC. There was a lot of cool stuff- broadstrikes, large center brockerages, clips, wrong planchets. All cool stuff!

After we had spent a good amount of time with these coins and the note, Hillery led us over to one of the metal cabinets. On the trays in this cabinet, the Numismatic staff had begun to plan out their new exhibit that will be opening next summer. The exhibit will be much, much larger than the current “closet” of an exhibit the museum currently has. Hillery pulled out each tray at a time and showed us some great coins and numismatic exonumia that they are placing in the exhibit, including some spectacular ancient currency from Asia, a piece of the first sheet of currency ever printed (from Japan if I can recall correctly but am not 100% positive,) amazing Ancients, Russian and other world coins. The US coins that are being placed in the exhibit are amazing as well, including 18th century gold, proof gold and amazing type. One coin in particular that I loved was this 1838 Proof 50c, one of a mintage of only 5! Note that this coin is completely raw, and is not in an NGC museum holder. The NGC holders were reserved for the 100 “Top” US coins in the NNC. The fact that this proof half was not in a holder, and isn’t considered in the “Top 100” should speak volumes about the coins that are deemed “Worthy” of the holders!

Hillery then pulled out another drawer, which had a cardboard box sitting on it. She removed the top of the box, revealing this amazing necklace. She assured us, the diamonds are real lol

Two other items that are going to be in the new exhibit that I found very interesting were this die impression of a Saint, and this original sketch by Gobrecht. There were also plasters and sketches done by Goodacre for the SAC $1.

The following coins are all being put in the new exhibit!

As we finished up with looking at the material for the new exhibit, Hillery asked what else we wanted to see, at which point Luis asked to see the Mercury Dime patterns. Hillery knew just where to find it: inside a special safe in the center of the room. You’ve got to remember that we are already in an ultra secure vault, and these coins are now locked up in a safe, about 5 feet high or so and only 2 feet wide. The coins in here had to be special- and they were! There was more proof gold than I’ve ever seen, 1 of the 3 1854 S $5, a drop dead amazing Lafayette $1, patterns and so much more. It was amazing to be able to go through, shelf by shelf and look at all these coins! I’ll admit, I’ve been writing this for 4 hours now and am getting a little lazy, so I am just going to post pictures. Perhaps I will go in and put some opinions in soon.

After going through this safe, it was getting late and our time with the collection was over. Hillery walked us out of the vault and we headed down to the coin exhibit on the ground floor, checking it out before heading to other parts of the museum.

This experience was absolutely amazing, and something I will remember forever. Handling these coins was jaw dropping.

I want to thank Hillery York for hosting us and Glenn Holsonbake for giving us this opportunity.

Talking with Hillery, she asked that we share that this collection is not meant to be locked up and inaccessible to numismatists. While it may take a bit of time to set up a visit, she said that the Numismatic staff is happy to accommodate Numismatic researchers view coins and visit the collection.

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file