Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I love all the ancients, but I'm throwing out an ebay rant...

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
And, this is why I was trying to stay off ebay.

1. I list a coin
2. I sell a coin (6/21)
3. I get paid for a coin (6/21)
4. I ship a coin to the paypal address (using ebay generated, paypal addressed, USPS shipping) (6/23 around noon)
5. I get an email from ebay (6/23 just before midnight) that they cancelled the winning buyer's bid and the buyer is NARU.

REALLY???? After the paypal clears, and after the shipment, ebay 'cancels the sale'. Does that mean they are avoiding the seller protection crap. UGH. The buyer was new, but did have some positives, and it's not an uber-valuable coin, but still. If I get a paypal chargeback I will have quite the customer service meltdown. Grumble.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes. imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Well, the plot thickens.

It turns out the post office marked the package as 'delivered' when they emptied the collection box. So, online, it looks as though the package was delivered immediately upon collection. The buyer started a paypal claim as soon as he saw that, and I'm wondering if that is why he is NARU'd. I went to my post office, unfortunately the package really was sent, and hopefully they will be updating the online status.

Very strange....and nice I live in a town the post office is 2 blocks away!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, the plot thickens.

It turns out the post office marked the package as 'delivered' when they emptied the collection box. So, online, it looks as though the package was delivered immediately upon collection. The buyer started a paypal claim as soon as he saw that, and I'm wondering if that is why he is NARU'd. I went to my post office, unfortunately the package really was sent, and hopefully they will be updating the online status.

Very strange....and nice I live in a town the post office is 2 blocks away! >>

Unfortunately you really have to watch the postal clerks when they scan your packages as it is very easy for them to accidently scan your package as delivered instead of accepted. I have caught my clerks mistakes several times.
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, the plot thickens.

Very strange....and nice I live in a town the post office is 2 blocks away! >>

Yuck. I kind of feel for the new buyer if that's the case. I don't blame him for contesting that the package was "delivered." But usually even if updated wrongly on the web, the package usually makes it to its destination. Give it a little time before you flip.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    This must be the week of stupid ebay things.

I took my daughter for a walk in the park on Sunday and we walked to the lakefront park from our house. When we got to the play areas, there were other kids so she took off to go make friends and play on the swings and what not. Being Sunday, I had some low value auctions ending that I wanted to check in on. All Farthings from George VI and stuff, like $2-10 a piece.

After bids were adjusted and a few coins paid for, I saw she was still playing so I did a search to see if anything tantalizing was ending in the next half hour or so to keep me busy while we hung out at the park. I searched for Imperial Russian and was poking around that when she came running over and said, "Dad, I'm hungry. Can we go make dinner?" It was 6:40pm so I said sure and we walked home. iphone went into pocket and I didn't think twice about ebay or coins or anything.

So I am home making delicious spaghetti and salad and garlic bread and once meat has been browned and added to sauce and is simmering away, I feel my phone buzz in my pocket and I look at my email account to see what I have won from the auctions that should have ended in the last 30 minutes. (It's around 7:20pm now.)

1931 1/4d $2.83.
    1919 1/4d $1.36.
    1924 1/4d $1.27.
    1989 Proof Gold Commemorative of Gorbachev and Vaizensker meeting in Bonn, Germany $795.00.

Wait, wut?

Now being the recipient of a spoof phishing email before, I forwarded the email to ebay's spoof account. Imagine my surprise when I logged into my ebay app to pay for my farthings when I saw that this sweet sweet 1989 commemorative was my most recently purchased item! Even better was my max bid:

$96,266.

Pleasant amusement went into full blown panic.

Many emails were fired off to ebay and the seller and luckily, considering that I have no negative feedback and that there is a pretty standard pattern on my purchases of being 95% mostly under $50, I think there was no confusion from their end that something stupid happened. The seller and I agreed to cancel the sale via email and ebay closed the purchase.

The only thing that I can think that happened was that if I didn't close out the ebay app when I started walking home from the park with Fi, then my legs walking must have pushed enough buttons to not only enter a maximum bid of $96K but to also submit it. Thank God for an intelligent understanding seller.

Also, what a dumb way to end a Sunday.
  • Options
    Well, I would have gotten freaked too if I was new and saw the 'delivered'. Unfortunately I had dumped it in the slot so no clerk interaction. My PO is very small and only a couple blocks away and full of nice people and the line is generally short. I actually like going in there, so I wish I'd taken it in by hand.

Even so, it's strange. I updated the paypal claim with what the PO said, but no documentation yet....and as far as I can tell the tracking online hasn't been updated (though I have paper copies of 'real time' tracking showing it's on the way) and oddly the guy has closed to paypal complaint. REALLY weird, how does he know I'm being truthful? Oh well, at least I know in the end even if the online tracking doesn't get straight my PO will print up a real copy for me and I can send that to Paypal if the claim gets reopened.

I just can't figure out now why he closed the complaint, and why he is still NARU. When I try and pull the listing up on an app I can't even see the sale details anymore, only on the full site version...so ebay has washed their hands of this apparently. It still irks me they would negate a sale days after the auction closed and the item shipped...as though it's no longer a sale.

Well, time will tell and I don't think I'll have to join the ranks of those missing the coin and the funds. My local PO will give me the documents I need...and what they show on line is not necessarily the updated version. What a pain though.

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Cathy, the ONE document that you need is delivery confirmation if your parcel has been sent to a US address. Sorry to hear about your troubles.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Yikes, I'm glad you're seller understood! Having called more than one person on the phone with my phone in my pocket ('tush' dialing), I totally understand.

Thanks Dimitri, I'm sure in a couple days I'll have that, but it's been odd all the way around.

The eBay rant part is more that they retroactively cancelled the sale AFTER payment, postage paid (ON eBay), and shipping notification. Seems like a snake way to get out of a 'seller protection' situation.