Home Metal Detecting
Options

June 21, 2014: 1872 IHC, Merc and vintage razor

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭
Got out with a buddy on Saturday. We hit a new area at first. He found a nice gold ring, but I got about 75 cents. We then tried a second place and found an IHC...just another regular ol' IHC it seemed. Then got a 1930 Merc. Also at this place got a vintage Ever Ready razor. This thing is no joke... weighs 71 grams - 2.5 ounces! You must have had some serious muscles to shave with that thing. Looks to be 1920s maybe?

Got the IHC home and thought a 72 was showing at the end. Got it under magnification and it was! 1872! Now of course in this condition it's a "filler-quality" coin. But it replaces an 1872 that was stolen before too. Nice to have another stolen detector find replaced (makes the 2nd this year after a 3cent silver popped out). HH all! P.S., I don't get the feeling that "musketball" is all that old.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice finds..... that IHC could use an alcohol rinse and a soak in EVOO for two weeks..... followed by a short acetone soak and rinse in hot running water. This process will remove all crud and stop further degradation.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Rare round object from the 1800's! Great stuff! image
    Looks like plenty of detail left on the IHC. Could clean up quite nicely. Would be great to see "after"-pictures if you pursue that.

Congrats on the silver too!

The razor is an interesting and unusual find.

-Z
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoa! A semi-key IHC! WTG! (Say that sentence out loud and it sounds like poetry, LOL.)

Glad that was a vintage safety razor and not a vintage straight razor! I wouldn't wanna dig the latter! image

(I did find a loose razor blade, once. Rusty, but still sharp enough to have caused myself some injury, which fortunately didn't happen.)

I'd tend to concur with your "1920s" guess on the razor, but of course do not know that definitively.

That IS a lead ball, right? And not a vintage clay marble? If so, it would be a musketball. But why wouldn't you think it was that old? It has some decent patina on it, and resembles some I've found on CW and Rev War era sites. Even though they came out with the Minie bullet just prior to the Civil War, I think round musketballs continued to be used up into the late 19th century, for hunting. So yeah, maybe it's not Colonia-era old, but it's still gotta be pretty old, surely.

Sharp little Merc. I always like finding the pre-1934 ones. Even moreso when they're in higher grade like that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.