Home Precious Metals

First rough test

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
Testing with cheaper blades because the expensive blades are expensive. Need some micro files and a little practice.

COA

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    be sure to hang on to the scrap 90%

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭
    The Eagle would look cooler cut out.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I broke the expensive 61 tooth blade in seconds so practicing with rougher blades. I do see a lot of them
    are cut from the back design. The lightness feel of the coin afterwards is very weird.

Going to drill a half inch hole in a half dollar soon and shape on the sizer it into a ring.
    COA
  • I thought de facing or destroying coins was against the law???? Isn't that why folks are not allowed to melt wheat cents????? I don't know.........

Tom
  • CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought de facing or destroying coins was against the law???? Isn't that why folks are not allowed to melt wheat cents????? I don't know.........

Tom >>

It is against the law to deface coins weth intent to defraud such as altering dates or adding or removing mint marks.
    The law prohibiting melting coins was to prevent coins being destroyed in the coin shortage. Silver coins were exemped since they weren't circulating anyway and were treated as a commodity.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check some sites on the web. Some people do this for a living (I see them sold at fairs etc.) and will recommend some good blades/sources for you. Cheers, RickO
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a guy I see at some of the art fests I go to around here that does these. Are you using a dremel or a regular drill?
  • CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I drilled start holes w a regular drill, and then a jewelers saw (small coping saw) with micro blades. Hey, the dremel may be my needed cleanup and finishing tool.

<< <i>There's a guy I see at some of the art fests I go to around here that does these. Are you using a dremel or a regular drill? >>

COA
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time I think it's time to SELL silver…. I see it getting scrapped and people bring me more, and I remember our "coins".

A steady hand will master it quickly.