Home U.S. Coin Forum

about buying 'cleaned' coins

So often when you see a coin for sale, if it's slabbed, it'll contain the qualifier "cleaning", or "cleaned", or "improperly cleaned" -- the verbage just depends on which grading company is doing it. Sometimes the alleged cleaning is hard to detect, especially from photos. Other times, it is quite obvious. But grading companies never make a distinction on the level of cleaning--whether it is just a "mild" cleaning, or whether harshly done. But regardless, the qualifier is there, which will scare away many potential buyers, or at the very least, cause one to think twice about buying it, or put in a very low offer. But realistically, just how much does cleaning de-value a coin? And for non-slabbed coins, is suspicion of cleaning enough to deter you from wanting to purchase it? Is it like baseball cards, when there's a qualifier, it automatically lessens the value by two grades--regardless of how badly it's been cleaned? What’s the “rule of thumb” when it comes to buying a cleaned coin?

Comments

• s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    I am mostly a gold guy, so I will comment on PCGS or NGC gold coins that are "cleaned."

Cleaned, slabbed gold tends to sell at a small premium over melt. They are verified genuine, but the
    cleaning reduces the collector value.

It becomes trickier if the coin is actually rare. I see a lot of Charlotte and Dahlonega coins on eBay that
    are "cleaned." They are hard sells, as those collectors greatly prefer non-problem coins.
    The discount is around 40% or more.

• stevepkstevepk Posts: 238 ✭✭✭
    If it's an expensive coin, I will typically stray away from any coin in a genuine holder. However, it the coin is valued at $200 or less and I like the coin, I will buy it. Most coins from the 1800's have been cleaned at least once anyway. Back in the 1960's and prior, cleaning coins was not frowned down on to the extent it is today. Any coin from the 1800's that is blast white has been dipped at least once. Some coins were dipped or even cleaned decades ago, retoned, and currently are in genuine 'problem' holders for being cleaned. Finding coins in problem holders with very mild cleanings can be a great way to find attractive coins at much better prices. If you are working on a set, you may as well crack the coin from the holder and put it in your album.

I've seen plenty of coins in problem holders described as 'cleaned' that can only be detected by a well experienced trained eye. If the coin is significantly less expensive than its problem-free counterpart and you want to crack it out for your album, why not?

In my opinion, there is no 'rule of thumb' when buying cleaned coins. Some are so mild that just about any numismatist will still take pride in ownership. Some are so harsh that I would not buy them at any price because they are an eyesore. For me, it depends on the value of the coin and the appearance of the coin. Anything over a few hundred dollars needs to be in a graded holder for me. I need to know I can sell it if necessary. I've been told problem coins are harder to sell.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My qualifier "It's Bullion" if cleaned as I don't collect rare gold.
  • RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find that most of the cleaned coins here and there are labelled "old cleaning" <Smile>
    Pete
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    The rule of thumb is buy them if you like them, but don't expect to be able to resell them without taking a loss. Many collectors will not even consider cleaned coins. Dealers know this and their bids reflect how hard it is to move them. Many dealers ask near the no-problem coin price, but wholesale bids might be 50% lower or more. This means retail buyers buying from a dealer or at auction will tend to pay, way over the wholesale levels, often 100% or 200% over (eg typical $100 or 150 wholesale selling to a dealer, around $300 winning bid). Of course there are exceptions for hard to find coins, bullion value, and lightly cleaned coins where album collecting is popular, or for a person buying bulk deals near a wholesale price.

• Thanks for your replies! Seems to me that it would be good if grading companies would include some kind of "level of cleaning" with this qualifier. For example: "c1" could indicate a light cleaning, perhaps long ago, with the overall appearance only slightly affected. "c2" could indicate moderate, more noticeable cleaning, particularly with an 8x or stronger magnifier. Then finally, a "c3" cleaning would indicate the more obvious and harsher cleanings, which significantly detract from the coin's appearance. As it is now, with no such "level" assigned, it is up to the beholder to decide how severe the cleaning is--and ultimately how much it affects the value. I just don't believe that ALL "cleaned" coins should be given the same stigma--it should depend on just how badly they've been cleaned, and the overall eye appeal.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleaned coins of any kind are "problem" coins. Many of these can now be found in "genuine" holders.

Many slabbed and graded coins have been "dipped" or otherwise treated (think of various gold hoard coins). Do you want them? That is a decision you will have to make on your own. Personally, I would pass on them.

When you buy a problem coin you make someone else's problem your problem.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Here is my cleaned coin story.

About 4 years ago I found a 1901-S quarter while metal detecting. Other than a rinse with water it has not been cleaned. As is typical with silver coins found by metal detecting it quickly started to get a few tarnish streaks. It was labeled cleaned by another TPG.

While a "problem" coin it is one that I am happy to have
    I live in my own world. But it's OK, they know me there.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RedTiger has the best analysis ... Resale of cleaned coins is difficult at best, unless the coin is a rarity. If you are only a collector, mild cleaning could be a good buy at a low price.... but understand that retention is necessary.... any sale would likely be a wash or a slight loss. Cheers, RickO
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone here have a sure fire way of detecting cleaning?? It seems to be a problem with me at times and I know for sure it's a problem with most. I use a bright light in a dark room and hold the coin off away from the light and tilt the coin until the lines are visible. This seems to work pretty good as the light tends to bend around the hair lines. Does anyone else have a method they want to share??
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is my cleaned coin story.

About 4 years ago I found a 1901-S quarter while metal detecting. Other than a rinse with water it has not been cleaned. As is typical with silver coins found by metal detecting it quickly started to get a few tarnish streaks. It was labeled cleaned by another TPG.

While a "problem" coin it is one that I am happy to have >>

Awesome! Pics?
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certain coins I have and will buy cleaned. I agree there should be a distinction between cleaned and damaged, for me the distinction is visible hairlines. The worst obvious cleaning I have intentionally purchased was on an R5 bust half and I paid about 33% of the normal value.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To the OP's point, there are varying degrees of cleaned.
    I would not buy a polished up, heavily hairlined coin unless I really needed it, and it was priced at a very steep discount.

However, I was happy to buy an 1823 N-2 large cent from the Steve Ellsworth in PCGS holder labeled Genuine-Cleaned.
    My guess is the obverse was lightly wiped a very long time ago, otherwise the color and surfaces look pretty natural. As this is a coin
    thats normally dark and pitted and seldom found above Fine, I had no problem paying the discounted price.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I have been watching cleaned/details certified coin auctions recently. I did see a couple of coins labeled with "harshly cleaned" designations. Several of the cleaned coins with eye appeal getting high bids. I started off watching over 60 auctions and now down to seven that I may bid on. Eliminated a lot of damaged coins. Artificial toning, bent, lacquered, etc.

• AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is cleaned but still has good eye appeal.

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2021 7:01PM

Cleaning basically reduces a saint's value to "old bullion" unless it is rare.
    I just got this one for a small amount over melt. Here is a TrueView so you can see what is considered cleaning.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rollerman said:
    I find that most of the cleaned coins here and there are labelled "old cleaning"
    Pete

I use that often. I want to accurately describe a coin as cleaned, but there’s a big difference between bright and cleaned yesterday versus lightly cleaned 100 years ago and retoned. Both cleaned, but to greatly different degrees.

To the OP: NGC will designate “harshly cleaned” on coins that deserve it.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

@ReadyFireAim said:
    I just got this one for a small amount over melt. Here is a TrueView so you can see what is concidered cleaning.

In the photos it overall looks nice. I’d bet there’s a patch of hairlines somewhere the photos don’t show, possibly the upper left obverse field above the rays.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buying cleaned coins is sort of like buying a house alongside a freeway. While you may enjoy it while you own it, when/if you decide to sell, expect to get hosed.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

@ReadyFireAim said:
    I just got this one for a small amount over melt. Here is a TrueView so you can see what is concidered cleaning.

In the photos it overall looks nice. I’d bet there’s a patch of hairlines somewhere the photos don’t show, possibly the upper left obverse field above the rays.

Sorry, but I wouldn’t buy the double eagle even if the price was low. If it was below bullion price I might just to flip it. I have enough problems….I don’t need to acquire one too!

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

All metal detector find coins have been cleaned by their surfaces abrading with the silica in the soil they are found in.The only metal detector coin finds that escape this cleaning by nature are those found on top of the ground before they have begun a descent into the ground.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't always trust the grading companies opinion as to a coin being cleaned. More than once I have had coins that were labeled as cleaned be regraded as problem free.

Trade $'s
  • MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steve1124 said:
    Thanks for your replies! Seems to me that it would be good if grading companies would include some kind of "level of cleaning" with this qualifier. For example: "c1" could indicate a light cleaning, perhaps long ago, with the overall appearance only slightly affected. "c2" could indicate moderate, more noticeable cleaning, particularly with an 8x or stronger magnifier. Then finally, a "c3" cleaning would indicate the more obvious and harsher cleanings, which significantly detract from the coin's appearance. As it is now, with no such "level" assigned, it is up to the beholder to decide how severe the cleaning is--and ultimately how much it affects the value. I just don't believe that ALL "cleaned" coins should be given the same stigma--it should depend on just how badly they've been cleaned, and the overall eye appeal.

Wouldn't this be an example of buying the holder and not the coin? I would think that you should do your own assessment of the level of cleaning.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people have a lot of difficulty determining if a coin has been cleaned. Especially if very lightly cleaned.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never ever bought a certified coin that was labeled a problem coin. Nor would I ever even consider buying a cleaned or problem certified coin.

I would rather purchase a problem free lower grade coin, than a higher grade details coin.

However, several years ago I submitted an 1801 half dollar that I bought in 1985 for $86. It came back Genuine "Tooled" AG details.

That 1801 is the one and only certified coin in my collection that is a problem certified coin.

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steve1124 said:
    So often when you see a coin for sale, if it's slabbed, it'll contain the qualifier "cleaning", or "cleaned", or "improperly cleaned" -- the verbage just depends on which grading company is doing it. Sometimes the alleged cleaning is hard to detect, especially from photos. Other times, it is quite obvious. But grading companies never make a distinction on the level of cleaning--whether it is just a "mild" cleaning, or whether harshly done.

NGC will designate coins as "harshly cleaned" and I assume "cleaned" for less scrubbed coins. Here's a coin sold in an auction ten years ago labeled as "harshly cleaned" by NGC. It has since been cracked out and is now on eBay described by the seller as "lightly cleaned".

3 rim nicks away from Good

@Barberian said:

@Steve1124 said:
    So often when you see a coin for sale, if it's slabbed, it'll contain the qualifier "cleaning", or "cleaned", or "improperly cleaned" -- the verbage just depends on which grading company is doing it. Sometimes the alleged cleaning is hard to detect, especially from photos. Other times, it is quite obvious. But grading companies never make a distinction on the level of cleaning--whether it is just a "mild" cleaning, or whether harshly done.

NGC will designate coins as "harshly cleaned" and I assume "cleaned" for less scrubbed coins. Here's a coin sold in an auction ten years ago labeled as "harshly cleaned" by NGC. It has since been cracked out and is now on eBay described by the seller as "lightly cleaned".

This is funny because it takes an incredible amount of heavy hairlining for NGC to whip out the harsh designation. I've seen it very rarely, and I've seen a lot of badly cleaned coins in NGC plastic. I don't want to know what that seller considers harsh.

@Herb_T said:

@airplanenut said:

@ReadyFireAim said:

Sorry, but I wouldn’t buy the double eagle even if the price was low. If it was below bullion price I might just to flip it. I have enough problems….I don’t need to acquire one too!

Nothing about what I said indicates you should buy the coin. That said, unless the photo is really hiding something, it's undeniable that the cleaning is light at worst.

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Russell12 said:
    I'll buy a cleaned slabbed coin with good eye appeal to breakout for my album. It does bother me how a lot of collectors look down their noses at cleaned coins. I would rather buy affordable, good looking key date cleaned coins for my albums. The coins I have broken out don't look cleaned to the naked eye and it fills the album hole.

I agree, and I think non-collectors would prefer to see an album filled with attractive cleaned coins that show considerable detail, rather than an album filled with worn "original" coins of equivalent value.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

@Overdate said:

@Russell12 said:
    I'll buy a cleaned slabbed coin with good eye appeal to breakout for my album. It does bother me how a lot of collectors look down their noses at cleaned coins. I would rather buy affordable, good looking key date cleaned coins for my albums. The coins I have broken out don't look cleaned to the naked eye and it fills the album hole.

I agree, and I think non-collectors would prefer to see an album filled with attractive cleaned coins that show considerable detail, rather than an album filled with worn "original" coins of equivalent value.

With all due respect, my collection is primarily built for me, but after that, it's for other collectors to enjoy. If a vintage car guy spent years working on a car he'd get a meh response from me because I don't care about cars. I may be able to superficially appreciate it, but not the way another car guy would. It would be a shame if he valued my lack of interest above the enthusiasm shown by someone who understands what they're looking at.

• Russell12Russell12 Posts: 193 ✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:
    shown by someone who understands what they're looking at.

There is what I mean talking about talking down. I know what I am looking at, just disagree, doesn't mean I am wrong.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see the cleaning, ( and they always distract) , but someone else admires the hole being filled.... especially at a steep discount to problem free. (When problem free is just too much$).
    Our host keeps watch over them, like our friends ATS. Most levels of cleaning and conserving are a byproduct of attempting to "fix" a problem, in the first place. Maybe the TPGs should designate between dirty and cleaned , especially from XF 40 to AU 50. But we know they're dirty, naturally like we know they're cleaned, naturally.

As it were.... budgetary constraints keep them alive in the market. I have a few examples I can think of in the Lincoln cent series and the Walking Liberty half series.

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dave99B said:
    Buying cleaned coins is sort of like buying a house alongside a freeway. While you may enjoy it while you own it, when/if you decide to sell, expect to get hosed.

Dave

If you pay a reasonable price for a cleaned coin, why should you expect to get hosed when you decide to sell?

@Russell12 said:

@airplanenut said:
    shown by someone who understands what they're looking at.

There is what I mean talking about talking down. I know what I am looking at, just disagree, doesn't mean I am wrong.

That's not talking down. If you show me a vintage car I may be completely impressed or unimpressed, but it's because I have no idea what I'm looking at and my opinion is uneducated; my opinion shouldn't matter to an expert. Same with coins. You can disagree with me and that's fine--we can disagree. But impressing someone who doesn't know what they're looking at isn't the mark of having something that is impressive/attractive/whatever. Impressing someone who is knowledgeable and can truly appreciate all aspects of what they're looking at gives much more credence to quality. And if you like it and someone else doesn't, that's fine. But if your choice is impressing someone who knows what they're looking at or impressive a novice, I'd take the expert every time.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG - True, if you 'buy right' you may be able to avoid getting hosed, buy that's a pretty thin market, unless you are talking about a very rare coin. Appreciation is much better with straight graded material, IMO.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2021 3:13PM

@Russell12 said:

Welcome to the forum!

Why should it bother you that I don’t wish to have cleaned coins in my collection? Why does such a preference indicate that many are a snob? I would think that the widespread desire for originality would be to your favor (and thus not bothersome) so that you can acquire cleaned coins readily and relatively inexpensively.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • RexfordRexford Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Russell12 said:

To me a cleaned coin by definition cannot have good eye appeal or be good-looking. Cleaning is unattractive.

• ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2021 3:43PM

I now have three Cleaned/Details labeled coins on my bid list for this week:
    1877 Seated Liberty Half XF Details
    1889 Seated Liberty Dime AU Details
    1907-D Barber Half VF Details
    Plus two low grade quarters
    1923 Standing Liberty F12
    1939-S Washington AU58.

@Rexford said:

@Russell12 said:

To me a cleaned coin by definition cannot have good eye appeal or be good-looking. Cleaning is unattractive.

It's a continuum. A coin with a small area very lightly cleaned long ago which has since retoned may look almost entirely original, where some original coins may be downright ugly. I agree with you in general and for the majority of coins, but I'm not going to say it's completely by definition, because there's too much of a range of possibilities to generalize. That said, under very few circumstances would I consider buying a cleaned coin--I think I have only one slabbed as such, and I don't regret the purchase, though if (yes, if) the opportunity presents itself sometime down the line I may replace it with an original example--and I'd also steer away from the unattractive but original example.

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevepk said:
    If it's an expensive coin, I will typically stray away from any coin in a genuine holder. However, it the coin is valued at $200 or less and I like the coin, I will buy it. Most coins from the 1800's have been cleaned at least once anyway. Back in the 1960's and prior, cleaning coins was not frowned down on to the extent it is today. Any coin from the 1800's that is blast white has been dipped at least once. Some coins were dipped or even cleaned decades ago, retoned, and currently are in genuine 'problem' holders for being cleaned. Finding coins in problem holders with very mild cleanings can be a great way to find attractive coins at much better prices. If you are working on a set, you may as well crack the coin from the holder and put it in your album.

I've seen plenty of coins in problem holders described as 'cleaned' that can only be detected by a well experienced trained eye. If the coin is significantly less expensive than its problem-free counterpart and you want to crack it out for your album, why not?

In my opinion, there is no 'rule of thumb' when buying cleaned coins. Some are so mild that just about any numismatist will still take pride in ownership. Some are so harsh that I would not buy them at any price because they are an eyesore. For me, it depends on the value of the coin and the appearance of the coin. Anything over a few hundred dollars needs to be in a graded holder for me. I need to know I can sell it if necessary. I've been told problem coins are harder to sell.

Good write up

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarkKelley said:

@Steve1124 said:
    Thanks for your replies! Seems to me that it would be good if grading companies would include some kind of "level of cleaning" with this qualifier. For example: "c1" could indicate a light cleaning, perhaps long ago, with the overall appearance only slightly affected. "c2" could indicate moderate, more noticeable cleaning, particularly with an 8x or stronger magnifier. Then finally, a "c3" cleaning would indicate the more obvious and harsher cleanings, which significantly detract from the coin's appearance. As it is now, with no such "level" assigned, it is up to the beholder to decide how severe the cleaning is--and ultimately how much it affects the value. I just don't believe that ALL "cleaned" coins should be given the same stigma--it should depend on just how badly they've been cleaned, and the overall eye appeal.

Wouldn't this be an example of buying the holder and not the coin? I would think that you should do your own assessment of the level of cleaning.

It's a paid appraisal.. from a neutral 3rd party, it would be nice if they offered a Net grade opinion

Why dont we just do our own authentication and grading too?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@Dave99B said:

Dave

If you pay a reasonable price for a cleaned coin, why should you expect to get hosed when you decide to sell?

Bingo.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• RexfordRexford Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

@Rexford said:

@Russell12 said:

It's a continuum. A coin with a small area very lightly cleaned long ago which has since retoned may look almost entirely original, where some original coins may be downright ugly. I agree with you in general and for the majority of coins, but I'm not going to say it's completely by definition, because there's too much of a range of possibilities to generalize. That said, under very few circumstances would I consider buying a cleaned coin--I think I have only one slabbed as such, and I don't regret the purchase, though if (yes, if) the opportunity presents itself sometime down the line I may replace it with an original example--and I'd also steer away from the unattractive but original example.

If it’s cleaned enough to get a Cleaned designation, it’s cleaned enough to be unattractive, because the cleaning is visible and significant. I also usually find retoning to be unattractive.

@Rexford said:

@airplanenut said:

@Rexford said:

@Russell12 said:

If it’s cleaned enough to get a Cleaned designation, it’s cleaned enough to be unattractive, because the cleaning is visible and significant. I also usually find retoning to be unattractive.

I have seen coins labeled cleaned where I've been baffled, or where it took a significant amount of looking to find just the right angle to barely see it. Some retoning looks awful. Some retoning look all but original. Again, I'm not defending more than a tiny minority of cleaned coins, nor am I saying I'd be a buyer, but they aren't all awful. The cleaning most certainly need not be significant to garner the designation.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel that the severity of the cleaning should be stated. I don't mind buying a lightly cleaned coin at the right price but I stay away from the Brillo Pad stuff. Or anything close to it.

• stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe a good amount of folks own cleaned/wiped, coins and not know it.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:

@MarkKelley said:

@Steve1124 said:

It's a paid appraisal.. from a neutral 3rd party, it would be nice if they offered a Net grade opinion

Why dont we just do our own authentication and grading too?

I do. But I own a lot of slabbed coins because my opinion matches that of the TPG.

• remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

I collect Mercury Dimes, & see cleaned & details graded 16-D's, both 21's, 26-S, & other semi key dates with asking prices for what I consider seriously stupid money. These buyers are paying big bucks to fill that hole in the Whitman album! I would never consider buying a cleaned Merc, or any coin, for any of my collections.

Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file