Home Metal Detecting

June 8, 2014: Two silvers, Buffalo, IHC and a clock winder?

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
Had a chance to get out today to a place I hit last week. Lately it seems like silver has been scarce, so I was really hoping some would show up. Seemed like it was wheat cent after wheat cent, then got an IHC, and in one hole got a signal that pulled a deep piece of iron, went to put the dirt back and saw a nickel on top. Turned out to be a buffalo and was just a chance find.

Also got a ring that looks to be silver. It was in the ground a while and there's no flaking, so I'm calling it silver. It's a small "knot" ring.

Later on got a pocket spill of 4 more wheat cents. Come on! Need silver. Then got another wheat cent 5 feet later. Rechecked and then got a merc! Then got another wheat cent.

I'm thinking that one piece is maybe a clock winder? There is a square opening at the bottom. Any thoughts?

HH all!

Comments

• WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Nice finds as always. Can't help on the mystery piece.

I haven't gotten out in a while. Spent some time yesterday creating a small test garden in my back yard. Planted a silver Roosie 6 inches down, a clad Roosie at 4 inches, and a modern pull tab at 5 inches. I also plan to read my detector's manual more. I need to learn more about my machine.
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks WhteTornado!

What kind of detector are you working with?
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks WhteTornado!

What kind of detector are you working with? >>

I have a Tesoro Cibola.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep...that is a clock winder key.... nice finds...Cheers, RickO
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats why I consider wheat cents weeds, they're very annoying.

Cool finds!
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im glad ya got silver in there pcgs, wtg
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another nice collection of finds. I have found one clock winder key and that was at a one room school site.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice.

Whatsa date on the Merc?

<< <i>I'm thinking that one piece is maybe a clock winder? There is a square opening at the bottom. Any thoughts? >>

While I agree that "clock key" is probably a solid theory, I suppose it's also possible that it could have been on an old gas lamp? But yeah... probably a clock key/winder.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice.

Whatsa date on the Merc?

<< <i>I'm thinking that one piece is maybe a clock winder? There is a square opening at the bottom. Any thoughts? >>

While I agree that "clock key" is probably a solid theory, I suppose it's also possible that it could have been on an old gas lamp? But yeah... probably a clock key/winder. >>

Hey LordM, the date is 1939-D.

Haven't found a clock key/winder so let's call it that!