Home U.S. Coin Forum

Was bidding on and winning this 1795 Flowing Hair 50¢ by our seller friend centsles worth the gamble

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
He claims the coin is an AU55, which we all know is a total farce, but even a VF30 is worth around $5,000 in PCGS plastic.

I almost wish I took the gamble, as he offers a 14 day return policy.

Would you take the gamble? 122 bids with 22 bidders was the final.

If I won, I'd take the coin down the road and show it to Julian, and then he could say yea or nea.

Hammer: $5,000

eBay Link

Comments

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't tell much from the photos, but I like your plan
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are scanner images

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    I would be worried about an older repair (such as holed/plugged).....don't like the look of the lower obv which corresponds to the upper rev

hope I'm wrong..

www.brunkauctions.com

• BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    It looks whizzed/polished.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no

Tom

• CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭
    No guts, no glory.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Polished, cleaned, then sauteed with white wine and yellow onions in a frying pan image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It did not sell, the winning biddr at 100% activity with senseless, just his shill. But did you expect any different at $5k? >>

Dead on Realone.........

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Does eBay still do nothing to obv. shillers???
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It did not sell, the winning biddr at 100% activity with senseless, just his shill. But did you expect any different at $5k? >>

Dead on Realone.........

image >>

Wow! That is TOTAL shill. Why is this guy not expelled from eBay?

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow! That is TOTAL shill. Why is this guy not expelled from eBay? >>

image IT's known as the "99.3% positives of 160,000 feedbacks guy who puts a lot of money in our coffers" selective enforcement rule of slutBay. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without even reading beyond the second post, this was my guess. Man, it wasn't even a guess! Centsles has gotten so brazen he lists, sells and relists the same coins over and over again. Sometimes the same bidder wins the same coin twice! A while ago I put together a comprehensive package of this seller's shilling and sent it to Ebay and nothing happened. It's not worth the effort.
  • lostincoinslostincoins Posts: 4,278
    If they will not pull counterfeit coins why would they yank this guys privileges considering the number of transactions. You are better off not buying it as I bought something from him one time and had one heck of a time for the return. The description did not match the coin.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If they will not pull counterfeit coins why would they yank this guys privileges considering the number of transactions. You are better off not buying it as I bought something from him one time and had one heck of a time for the return. The description did not match the coin. >>

This is news to me.
    When did eBay change their policy in not pulling counterfeit coin auctions?
    That definitely is a step backward. Sorry to hear of this.

peacockcoins

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If they will not pull counterfeit coins why would they yank this guys privileges considering the number of transactions. You are better off not buying it as I bought something from him one time and had one heck of a time for the return. The description did not match the coin. >>

This is news to me.
    When did eBay change their policy in not pulling counterfeit coin auctions?
    That definitely is a step backward. Sorry to hear of this. >>

They are but we've had some painful and some frustrating failures recently.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...I bought a coin from this guy once...ONCE!!!!!

Erik
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it is very unfortunate for us all that talent and morality are not more closely related.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Talk about not even trying to hide the shill!
  • liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually sold him a $6k coin once. It was in an XF details-altered surfaces holder. He cracked it and put it in one of his own goofy NNC holders as straight grade AU55! I followed it for about 3 months and he "sold" it 3 times, all for less than he paid me. After ebay fees I am guessing he lost money on that deal.
    liefgold
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I believe the seller knows what he is doing, and he is selling the coin, perhaps the answer lies there.
    LCoopie = Les
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard that he does know what he is doing and I believe he does. Back when I tinkered with ebay, I used to go to his auctions, which always numbered in the hundreds, and search the term "original." I then bid on those coins which were described as original. If he called a coin original, it was! I noticed that he either stopped or dramatically lessened his use of that descriptor.

Tom

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Since I believe the seller knows what he is doing, and he is selling the coin, perhaps the answer lies there. >>

What are you telling me, that it is impossible for this genius to screw up at times? >>

no
    LCoopie = Les
  • slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    No possible way someone didn't try already to get that into PCGS plastic.
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A years ago I bid on a piece of bust gold in a details holder due to a tiny scratch (from another seller). It had a nice original looking patina. I was the underbidder to Mr. centsles. When the coin re emerged from his headquarters in its NNC slab is was bright from a dip but the scratch was still there. Not sure if he turned a profit on it.
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    You can't tell much from their scans. You have to just take a chance and return it if you don't like it in hand.
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've actually picked up a couple of coins from the guy that I am very happy with...he does seem to run an odd combo of fairly legit auctions along side the
    dubious stuff that gets posted here every now and then. But, just like almost any other seller on ebay, you got to sort the good from the bad image

imageimage
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A $5000 coin in third world plastic sold by someone alleged to be working with shills. What could possibly go wrong?
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With no retractions then eBay made the FV Fees right, so what the incentive to anti shill?
  • GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    that one is not worth it. Reverse looks ex-Jewlery.
  • jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭
    I think I won that one in August. $3900. Yeah, I play the game. 90% or more go back. But I have scored handsomely on occasion. Lately not so much. At one time, I thought I had his grading and descriptions somewhat figured out. But lately, I'm not so sure.

BTW I sent that one back. Unusual coin. Obv was actually nice. Reverse appeared to have environmental issues. She fetched something like $5600 a week later.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't do E-bay. Don't ever buy a coin without either seeing it myself or have someone I trust look at for me. That being said, there are a handful of people from whom I would not buy anything under any circumstances because they are fundamentally dishonest, or worse.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A $5000 coin in third world plastic sold by someone alleged to be working with shills. What could possibly go wrong? >>

You forgot the part about the seller being an expert grader ( AFAIK, he actually is)
  • numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

The images are gone from the Ebay listing....
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does eBay still do nothing to obv. shillers???

Shills can do a pretty good job of lubricating the wheels of commerce for them.ebay gets 10% of the final value,PayPal 3%,shill won auction or not.I can't comment on the coin itself since images appear to have been pulled.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've actually picked up a couple of coins from the guy that I am very happy with...he does seem to run an odd combo of fairly legit auctions along side the
    dubious stuff that gets posted here every now and then. But, just like almost any other seller on ebay, you got to sort the good from the bad image

imageimage >>

That is a neat little overstrike! Don't think I have ever seen one of those before!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    I purchased a coin from centsles one time. Let me say that again... I purchased a coin from centsles one time.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • I bought a coin from him returned it as it was very badly cleaned and he put me on his block listimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file