Home U.S. Coin Forum

1964-D Washington Quarters w/ Transitional 1965 Reverse (Ty C)

2»

Comments

• NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    Boy, this thread, the way it keeps coming back to page one, sure brings me back. I was still in school, playing 'ball (GOD I miss THOSE days of bashing heads), I pretty much had just 'graduated' from being a newb (was a member for about a year, give or take a few months), when Type B's/C's were HOT (and BOY, was I still wet behind the ears). This was really the first series I actually LEARNED about, STUDIED, and actually RETAINED that knowledge, and was able to put together a rather killer, high grade set...thankfully, they were still out there, unnoticed in unattributed holders. I'd swear, if I didn't know any better, this is an attempt to bring them back to the forefront (NO complaints....the '61 'B' in MS66 has tumbled from $1.150 to $700....the higher grade examples should STILL be 'up there', but the 'run' to beat the attribution fee rise brought them out of the woodwork). It was a great ride, a very SHORT ride (and I recall a very profitable ride, as far as selling them on the 'bay, even the MS64's.....a grade that you now can't even GIVE away now, unless it's a '56 'B' or '64-D 'C', which this thread is about), but a great ride, nonetheless. Will this 'series' EVER catch fire like it did, what, 4 years ago???

Mitch, I notice the '64-D 'C' in MS66 conveniently jumped to $5,000....image
    I'll come up with something.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Notsure. That was a nice account. I have no issue with the latest valuation of these Ty C quarters in MS65/66. In fact, I would pay 80% of guide today sight-seen to buy another example for my collection. WCQX... are you paying attention. image. Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin that Mitch snapped up was in a very advertised auction by Heritage and that is just what this series needed. This help promote the coin and helps drive the demand and value as we all just witnessed. My thought are this was just the first in several adjustments we could see for this '65 reverse type coin. What a pleasure it is to see this take place image I mean folks are looking and talking....... What is this type C reverse? What, there is a type B, let me check that out.....

Very neat to see this is our time of collecting! I also see the MS65's got a small bump image
    Ken
  • I sold an MS65 Type C example in PCGS MS65 for around $2,500 and this was the first MS66 to my knowledge ever offered for sale. I think it caught people off guard only a few that have ever tried to find one know how rare they really are and that was an absolute rip to get that 66 so cheap IMHO I am not aware of anyone that would sell a Type C in MS66 for $5K.... I would not sell mine for that.

I have not purposefully graded anythig less than MS65, Choice BU is still highly desirable for the error and variety collector but they prefer to get them without the extra $35 +/- slabbing fees for the grading and variety attribiution services, like them raw so they can examine and store them easier.

I think the gem examples are solid investments. This is a short silver set of only 10 coins that im my opinion will continue to get more popular the supply is not that deep and the demand gets larger as people get educated about them.

I have collected them almost 20 years and was happy without the demand, was funner to find them unatributed and that will not be the case so much anymore.

Translation ... the Price Guide, if anything, probably needs to be a little higher, not lower, on MS64 and higher pieces.

I just publicly offered 2x the hammer price of a Heritage auction coin (and we know they do a sensational job selling coins for their consignors) that sold less than 2 weeks ago and got rejected out of hand by one of the two owners of the other two coins in the pop report. My offer still stands though should the remaining owner of an MS66 coin want to come forward to sell off his/her coin at double the hammer of a major recent auction.

Two thumbs up for the Price Guide editor, J. Hernandez. He did a very good job analyzing this particular coin to get the Guide as accurate as any Guide out there in the hobby today for this Ty C coin. Like WCQX, it is really immaterial to me what the Guide shows for this or nearly any other top pop Washington quarter (other than my desire to have the series accurately represented). I started building my set in 1983 (31 years ago), have held on to maybe 98% or 99% of the top coins since then and do not plan on selling any set coins for at least another (18) or (19) years when we reach the 100th Anniversary of the Washington Quarter. On rare occasion (since 1999), I have let a coin or two go from my state quarter/National Park set to help a fellow collector trying to build out a world class set and I let some MS68 silver quarters go way back when to help me fund my Pattern Liberty Nickel collection. The one coin I regretted selling (the 1949-P MS68) I bought back when D. Poole sold his spectacular collection.

It should be interesting to see the Price Guide on these Ty C quarters in the year 2032 image

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two thumbs up for the Price Guide editor, J. Hernandez. He did a very good job analyzing this particular coin to get the Guide as accurate as any Guide out there in the hobby today for this Ty C coin.image

Well Maybe you can help me out, I have sent a couple emails to Mr Hernandez with the Results from the Sale at Heritage and Ebay for the 1943 s Washington Goiter with a POPULATION of 12.

Three Months ago and the Guide is still showing 250 for the MS 65. How many Type C coins are Graded? I believe the numbers are higher than 12. Just in case you talk to him could you please ask Why?. Thanks Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
    1Tommy. I would be happy to discuss the Goiter quarter with Mr. Hernandez. I had little personal interest in owning the coin at even half the price of the Heritage auction. It just did not excite me like this transitional quarter. And, of course, raw pops often mean very little when it comes to pricing varieties, errrors, etc. I am in the market for a high quality MS67RD 1972 DDO Cent and would be happy to pay "five figures" for it. On the other hand, there are other interesting Lincoln cent varieties that have half or a fifth the pop of the 72 DDO in MS67RD and I would not pay "four figures" for many of them. But, I am not telling you something you did not know already.

Wondercoin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file