Home Metal Detecting
Options

The Kids and My Rolling Metal Detecting Finds

We get "points" (basically dollars) at work for promoting good work. After reading these threads - and other forums - for about 6 weeks now I decided on the following:

You are required to use these "points" in increments of 100 points - so I ordered:

Garrett Ace 250 for $213
Garrett 6.5 x 9" Coil Cover - $14.95
Garrett Edge Digger - $33.96
Garrett Camo Diggers Pouch - $10.16
Garrett Environmental Screen Cover - $14.95
Garrett Ace Carry Bag - $14.95

Then I found a $5 coupon code to get me back under the $300 mark. I think that's a pretty good way to start. I know if I get into it I'll need to get a pin pointer too.

I had a question on clad. Is there an easy way to know which dimes/nickels/quarters contain silver? I know I'll want to separate those years out if possible from the general clad. Other than separating silver out - how else should I organize them? do you guys separate the pre 1982 pennies out (I think that's the right year) because they have more copper?

Sorry I'm about as new as you can get and would welcome any advice you guys have. I'm really looking forward to getting started and my kids are excited to go out with me as well. Was just curious how you guys go about sorting out your targets.

One last question re: plug digging. I've been watching lots of youtube videos on how to porperly dig a plug as to not harm the land or kill the grass? Some say use your digger - go at a 90 degree angle and cut a circle then pull it up to prevent killing grass. Others I've seen do a half moon cut and pull it up. Does the depth of the target dictate which is better....like the first scenario for deep targets and the latter for shallow ones perhaps?

Collect HOF Autos and Anything Raiders.

"In Al We Trust!"

Looking for Autos of HOFers Charles Bidwill, Tim Mara, Joe Carr, Fritz Pollard, Guy Chamberlin & Bill Hewitt

Comments

• Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Pre-1965 dimes and quarters are 90% silver. Nickels from 1942-1945 are 40% silver. Pre-1982 Lincoln cents don't really matter unless they are some kind of error coin. Wheat pennies are keepers from the 1930's and earlier.

Keep in mind you could also buy some Whitman coin folders and fill slots in them even with modern coins. Your kids may like that.

Enjoy and happy hunting! image

Edit to address the question about plug digging. What I tend to do is dig a half-moon up to a horseshoe circumference. I don't usually go any further round than that. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are digging mostly post-64 coins learn to use a screwdriver. You won't leave any brown spots when the grass in the plug dies in hot weather. You will have a better chance of not having a problem on public grounds.
  • Options
    raiderguy10raiderguy10 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you are digging mostly post-64 coins learn to use a screwdriver. You won't leave any brown spots when the grass in the plug dies in hot weather. You will have a better chance of not having a problem on public grounds. >>

Can you elaborate on this? What do I do with the screwdriver to help keep grass from dying. Does the plug kill the grass?

"In Al We Trust!"

Looking for Autos of HOFers Charles Bidwill, Tim Mara, Joe Carr, Fritz Pollard, Guy Chamberlin & Bill Hewitt
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    Usually silver coins come out of the ground looking like silver (not to be confused with newly dropped clad). Clad that has been in the ground tends to turn brown or other colors. I keep all wheat cents but spend the pre-82 coppers.

a pinpointer will save you a bunch of time and well worth considering.

I dig a 3-sided square plug and flip it like a hinge. put any extra dirt on a cloth.

Happy hunting!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I used to hunt parks/lawns, I always carried a bottle of water (for drinking and plugs).... when I put the plug back in the hole (three sided usually), I would water it gently (summertime).... this required a large bottle since I am also a water drinker. Get the pinpointer, it will save a lot of extra digging and make for smaller plugs.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I ordered a pin pointer separately today....will be getting that before I get the detector. I can see wasting a TON of time between the plug and the hole digging for an item so I agree - it's almost a necessity.

Thanks again for the advice.

"In Al We Trust!"

• Options
    I use the screwdiver to probe for the coin or whatever. When I hit something you can use the tip of the screwdriver to bring it to the top or use your finger. If you are in an area like pcgs69 that has alot of good coins the screwdriver would scratch them and then you might use the plug. Just don't digh a great big hole in the ground.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice again guys. One more question.... When you dig a three sided plug do you dog at 90 degree angles so you don't kill roots, or what type of angle do you use. Or does it depend how deep the target is? I've read if you dig at 45 degrees like you'd think you'd be inclined to do it'll kill the grass

"In Al We Trust!"

• Options

<< <i>Thanks for the advice again guys. One more question.... When you dig a three sided plug do you dog at 90 degree angles so you don't kill roots, or what type of angle do you use. Or does it depend how deep the target is? I've read if you dig at 45 degrees like you'd think you'd be inclined to do it'll kill the grass >>

I tend to dig at 90 degrees, then use a sort of scooping motion to free the plug from the earth. I imagine that 45 degree digging would cut the roots of the sod, thus killing that patch of grass.
  • Options
    Well I'm all in now lol.

I purchased a cheap Cen-Tech pinpointer from Harbor Freight. $16.99 + tax. Purchased a Swtich at radio shack (Part # 275-1565) and a new knob for the sensitivity on the outside (Part 274-403). I also increased the internal sensitivity so instead of the 1/2" to 3/4" standard setting I'm hitting over 2" now. It's not a Garrett, but for $23 or so it seems like it'll be a pretty good bridge until I get a Garrett and until I know if I am dedicated enough to want to spend the $ on a Garrett.

I also ordered a $30 bounty hunter jr for my kids. That way they can come with me so I don't have to feel guilty. And if both they and I like it they can have my Cen-Tech for when they go digging in the sand after I upgrade.

I'm pumped and ready to go....now just need to get the darn thing in hand already image

"In Al We Trust!"

• Options
    Great.... sounds like you are excited....it is a great hobby...can be frustrating at times, but stick with it..... lots of good things to find. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is one I "screwdrivered" hit the eye towards the rim... Never cleaned it
    This coin is in my dansco 7070 type album

[URL=http://s98.photobucket.com/user/musky1011/media/002-28.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely the most common problem with diggers is excitement when they find a coin. They take their
    muddy/dirty/grimy fingers and rub the coin to see the date. OH MY, do not do that! Quickest way to lose
    value is improper cleaning!! Don't scratch the coin!

I carry a water bottle (not for drinking and will fill from a pond or such if needed) with just a small hole
    in the cap. When I find a coin I squirt water on the coin to see the date. NO rubbing. Into the pouch
    and to home and a nice gentle soak in warm water and the crud usually just falls right off.

Don't CLEAN coins.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Good point....many coins have been damaged further by improper cleaning/handling during or after recovery.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    The kids bounty hunter came in today. They wanted to try it so we went to the park. Boy did they love it. VERY impressed with how it operates for kids.

"In Al We Trust!"

• Options
    That's a pretty good haul for the first time out image Looks like that park is worth a return visit.
  • Options
    It's a 20 acre slab of land that had about 15 parks, volleyball courts, park shelters, etc. That was from two playgrounds but we will be back there a lot.

Kid pulls up a pull tab and asks what the heck this thing is. I said you better get used to them

"In Al We Trust!"

• Options

<< <i>Kid pulls up a pull tab and asks what the heck this thing is. I said you better get used to them >>

Great response
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    got a nice laugh out of your pull tab conversation!

that's a good haul for starters. keep us posted on your other finds
  • Options
    For sure. I'll turn this thread into my rolling finds thread once my detector comes in.

I think once they pulled the plane out of the woodchips they were hooked. Now they realize you just never know what'll be under that signal.

"In Al We Trust!"

• Options
    The pull tab that you found is an antique one. image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Barber dime Musky1011 posted is a classic example of why I do NOT recommend the screwdriver recovery technique, especially for beginners.

True, some people are wizards with it and can get a coin out of the ground almost invisibly, but I'd rather make a plug.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    That's an excellent haul for the first time out! Congrats!

Regarding your plug question: I dig them straight down, leaving plenty of soil in the back (so it's roughly U-shaped when viewed from above).
    I also use a piece of plastic for putting any soil on if further digging is needed, and from which I can neatly pour the soil back into the hole afterwards. Unless the ground is totally dry (which can make the plug crumble), a hole can be dug without leaving any trace.

Key is to pinpoint carefully so you have the target in the middle of the hole. It gets hard to keep things tidy if you have to start poking into the walls of the hole.
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Here are some of our first finds. All we have done so far are playgounds. It's a lot of easy practice and the kids can go play after they are finished detecting with their bounty hunter jr.

Here is the sterling cross. Stamped 925 on the clasp but can't see it in the pic:

The kids first find other than bobby pins and nails with their bounty hunter jr

This is pretty cool. Looks like part of a necklace:

A local outdoors store - SCheels - gaming tokens:

Some kind of name badge looking thing (minus the spot for a name)

Way random #1 - a collector spoon from Manitoba, Canada

Charm Bracelet - Little girl liked this one:

Son is a Harry Potter fan, so loved this even though I'm not sure what it is

Another charm:

Way random #2 in the parks of North Dakota....a 50 cent Chilean Peso...

A ring with a diamond cross (fake I'm assuming of course)

(ignore the hideous pinky finger)

"In Al We Trust!"

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool stuff.

"Fake" is an obvious assumption on a lot of these rings, but you never know.

A buddy of mine found one marked "PLT" with some big, gaudy "diamonds" in it last year. He thought "PLT" meant "plated", and that it was a cheap rhinestone ring.

It was platinum, and the diamonds were real. I think it appraised for something like $6K. Maybe more than that.

You never can tell.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    nice stuff, reminds me of when I started in 86. to avoid making plugs, I have moved to digging in zero grass areas. find yourself a nice empty lot in the old part of town. I use a 3 prong digger and a shovel. I still fill my holes in.