Home Sports Talk

Odds LeBron James leaves Miami.

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
Do you think when his stint is up in Miami he will move on? Cleveland,Lakers. I seem to recall a reporters opinion some time ago that he may go back to Cleveland to bring his hometown a championship. The Cavs recently did fire their coach. Possibly to get a new coach more to LJ's liking.
Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I seem to recall a reporters opinion some time ago that he may go back to Cleveland to bring his hometown a championship >>

That didn't work the first time. I wonder what makes them think it will now or anytime in the future?
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭✭
    I've heard Cleveland is a dump. South Beach or Cleveland.....you pick. How about L.A. Kobe will not be around forever....actually he's not really around now.
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> I seem to recall a reporters opinion some time ago that he may go back to Cleveland to bring his hometown a championship >>

That didn't work the first time. I wonder what makes them think it will now or anytime in the future? >>

Ditto.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the Heat win the title this year he stays put. If they lose he may move on.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well they lost "Big Time" so I guess he moves on. Thing is.......it's not an automatic title where ever he goes! That was proven is this finals. Team basketball is always better.

The Spurs showed just how true the team concept is!image
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>Well they lost "Big Time" so I guess he moves on. Thing is.......it's not an automatic title where ever he goes! That was proven is this finals. Team basketball is always better.

The Spurs showed just how true the team concept is!image >>

LeBron is on hell of a team player- the problem this year, was that his team was too old and broke down and even when he tried to take over, it was useless. He winds up in Dallas. heh
  • bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    10% he stays with the Heat, he would look really good in green...
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume that LBJ either is a fairly smart guy himself or that he has people around him who are smart. If so, then he or they would likely want to see his career path lead in a direction where when he retires from playing the game he will be sufficiently well liked, well connected and desirable to have around the sport (as an ambassador, owner, etc.) so that he can become a transcendent figure (like MJ or Magic). To accomplish this he will also need to have more rings on his fingers than 2 and will need to have more individual awards.

To get more rings, LBJ will need to have a strong supporting cast around him that maximize the chances that his team will make the Finals and wins another 3-4 titles at a minimum. LBJ is 28 or 29 or even 30. So he is likely more than half way through his career. He does not have much room for error when it comes to who he will play for. He can always make lots of money off the court through endorsements, etc. He may well want to consider taking less money in salary so that the team he plays for can sign players who will make a good supporting cast.

We shall see if LBJ chooses to opt out and go elsewhere or whether he chooses to stay with the Heat.

Doesn't he have until the end of the month to decide to opt out or not?
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He wants to play for the Spurs but they play team ball.
  • Just seen on the philly news that the sixers would love to see him on the team. I just don't think he would humor it but money talks and **** walks..
  • ashabbyashabby Posts: 471
    I think it will be based on how much help he can get. Wade is about done. Body can only take so much at that level. Even James body will break down if minutes stay high.
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've heard Cleveland is a dump. South Beach or Cleveland.....you pick. How about L.A. Kobe will not be around forever....actually he's not really around now. >>

I live outside of cleveland and it isn't as bad as you may think, yes it has bad areas but so do other cities. And if you haven't been there don't believe everything you hear....I worked downtown for 34 years and survived..... as for Lebron, he isn't from cleveland anyways, he's from akron.......and to be honest who cares if he comes back here or not....life will still go on.

al. born and raised in cleveland area
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESPN and other print media are reporting "the king" is considering Miami as well as Cleveland. Here we go again.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    One report had it as a 90% chance that he'd be returning to Cleveland. I lost a lot of respect for him the way he organized the Big 3 in 2010 (given that the plan seemed to be hatched as far back as 2006). If he returned to Cleveland, he'd get a little bit more respect from me, and I imagine, the public in general.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    This is the reason why LeBron should NOT come back to Cleveland... I mean come on, how embarrassing.

Honestly, as a Cavs fan, I don't want him to come back. He's no hometown hero, he's just another spoiled "I in team" player who chokes when it counts. Sure he has done, and still does, a ton of great things for the city of Akron. This doesn't make him special... a ton of pro athletes do this for their home town. Yet here he goes again, getting Cleveland fans' hopes up. Say he doesn't come back, the fans will be heartbroken yet again. He's not reeling me in again. I don't care what he does. He's just another player to me.
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He wants to play for the Spurs but they play team ball. >>

+1

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
    If he does return to Cleveland one has to wonder how many, if any, championships he will win.

<< <i>If he does return to Cleveland one has to wonder how many, if any, championships he will win. >>

zero... point... zero...
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill Russell won a boatload of championships. Michael Jordan made it to 6 NBA Finals and won six. LBJ won a couple, lost a couple. If LeBron wants to elevate himself in the ranks of the greatest there are two things he must do. One is go back to Cleveland and two is win more championships. If he goes elsewhere and aligns himself with who he feels are the best players it will not enhance his stature even if he wins more titles. He will only appear as a mercenary.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

He's going back to Cleveland... smh.
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bill Russell won a boatload of championships. Michael Jordan made it to 6 NBA Finals and won six. LBJ won a couple, lost a couple. If LeBron wants to elevate himself in the ranks of the greatest there are two things he must do. One is go back to Cleveland and two is win more championships. If he goes elsewhere and aligns himself with who he feels are the best players it will not enhance his stature even if he wins more titles. He will only appear as a mercenary. >>

One title for Cleveland would do a lot for his legacy no matter how select people feel about his initial decision to leave the Cavs.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Bill Russell won a boatload of championships. Michael Jordan made it to 6 NBA Finals and won six. LBJ won a couple, lost a couple. If LeBron wants to elevate himself in the ranks of the greatest there are two things he must do. One is go back to Cleveland and two is win more championships. If he goes elsewhere and aligns himself with who he feels are the best players it will not enhance his stature even if he wins more titles. He will only appear as a mercenary. >>

One title for Cleveland would do a lot for his legacy no matter how select people feel about his initial decision to leave the Cavs. >>

Exactly. Haven't we realized how fickle fans can be? If the Cavs win the East (which is quite possible in a wek conference), you can bet your bottom dollar he will be a hometown hero again.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Cleveland it is.
  • steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    Speaking as somebody born and raised in the Cleveland area and now lives half way across the country, I can understand the feeling of "wanting to go home".
    This was not strictly a basketball decision. If your not from Northeast Ohio, it's difficult to explain what it would mean IF he were to get a ring for Cleveland.
    1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
    If he does indeed bring a championship home, all will be forgiven. Everybody loves a winner. And for a city devoid of any sports championship in years, this will even be more so due to this.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Whatever is true motivations (PR, money, whatever) I think it's cool he went back "home." I hope he's successful bringing them a championship. It's not like I have to worry about him beating my SacTown King's in the NBA finals so I have no problem with Cleveland winning it all one of these years!