Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

SSCA - Waiting For Fresh Deep Sea Treasures - How Long ....... ?

FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
Alright, the long wait for the Saddle Ridge Hoard has finally ended. For those who have decided to pass
perhaps some well preserved Deep Sea treats will be in order.

Any word on whats being recovered from the SS Central America? Any idea when some Coins might be
on sale and what the going price will be?

How have the previous pieces done on the market? For those that missed out on the first round maybe the
next wave will be of interest.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no interest in either group of coins.... I realize some collectors are attracted to this type of provenance, just not for me. I would really be excited about finding such a lost gold coin myself though.... that would be a thrill... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Alright, the long wait for the Saddle Ridge Hoard has finally ended. For those who have decided to pass
    perhaps some well preserved Deep Sea treats will be in order.

Any word on whats being recovered from the SS Central America? Any idea when some Coins might be
    on sale and what the going price will be?

How have the previous pieces done on the market? For those that missed out on the first round maybe the
    next wave will be of interest. >>

The only way I would have any interest in the Saddle Ridge Hoard is if I had found it.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love seeing rarities thought gone forever come to back from extinction. The California gold bars and territorials in particular are fascinating.

I don't see any value in the provenance, though. I don't really care where they came from. Just like I don't care if a coin in my collection was shipped from NJ or WA or TX. What difference does that make? It was in a tin can on a California ranch, or was in a coin cabinet in a temperature controlled room, or was at the bottom of the sea. What has that to do with the coin itself (assuming no shipwreck effect, conservation, yadda yadda)?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    I keep dreaming of some classic old gold in hi-grade at a low price. Some of those MS66 Saddle Ridgers were really
    in beautiful condition but way too pricey. Probably I'm just dreaming but maybe a $20 SSCA Coin might give me
    what about I'm looking for?

In the end maybe I'll have to settle for a good old classic reissue from the US Mint. Those modern Buffaloes and
    Eagles are nearly perfect and are priced very close to bullion. And no worries about doctoring. A big plus.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    We should get a report in the next two weeks on what they have found so far besides the first 5 gold bars and gold coins. They said it will take up to 4 months to recover everything, but may take longer.
  • Options
    Looks like a legal storm is brewing. It might take years to resolve the battle.

• Options

TTT

Its been a while since I heard anything about the latest SSCA Recovery. Anyone got any good news about the Coins?

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2017 3:23PM

...I don't know much about any of that...but I bet I could watch your Avatar .gif for over an hour without breaking my smile ;)

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my customers bought the finest 1886-s $10 from saddle ridge , paid over 50k. Got to be the finest $10 Lib I have ever seen, but because of the hype associated with the sale, he might be lucky to get 35k if he had to sell it today

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are they back out there at the wreck site this summer?

It's been a few years since they have recovered any more gold, hasn't it?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the Odyssey Maine Exploration website- unless they haven't updated the site; it appears there hasn't been any salvage efforts since September of 2014? There's a lot of cool information, salvaged cargo inventory, news, other shipwrecks, etc.

http://www.shipwreck.net/sscaoperationaloverview.php

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I said three years ago....unless I find it myself, I have no interest in such provenance.....Heck, some coins I already own, may have been handled by desperado's, or part of a stage coach hold up.... I don't care. No way would I ever pay a provenance premium. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file