Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭✭
    Only NGC and PCGS coins to be sold on the site? interesting. Must also be a member of several reputable organizations to sell. Makes to much sense!! I hope they eat eBay's lunch. Looks like they are trying to keep out the riff raff. eBay could be in serious trouble........

From the Amazon sell your coins page:

Please review Collectible Coins category requirements before submitting your request.
    Sellers must meet the requirements listed below in order to be eligible to apply to sell products in the Collectible Coins category. Meeting these requirements does not guarantee that Amazon will grant approval for selling in Collectible Coins:
    1.Sellers in the Collectible Coins store must have membership in one or more of the following associations:
    •PNG, ICTA, PCGS or NGC
    •ANA, PNNA, FUN and other regional numismatic club memberships are acceptable when accompanied by a membership in PNG, ICTA, PCGS or NGC.

2.Sellers must be on the Professional Selling Plan.
    3.Images must comply with our image guidelines and be at least 500px on the longest side.
    4.Current sellers must have an order defect rate below 0.75%.
    5.All products must be authentic, and a majority of products must be authenticated and graded by one or more of these companies: PCGS, NGC, CAC.
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For true, active collectors, I'm not sure this means much to us from the "buy side". I notice that at least one dealer is selling at a higher price on Amazon than on their own website. (Word to the wise....check at the source site first!!)

On the other hand, if they are able to sell to non- or dabbler collectors through Amazon, it could put some pressure on supply and prices.

It could be interesting...
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (Yawn.....)

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • 5.All products must be authentic, and a majority of products must be authenticated and graded by one or more of these companies: PCGS, NGC, CAC.
    When did CAC start slabbing and grading coins? I missed this some how?

I wounder if Amazon understands that just because you have a membership it does not mean you are ethical. In my area we had a dealer who was taking the invintory and putting in in the garbage, coming back later to get them , then claiming a loss on them.
  • Here is a link to an example of these requirements, seems to be working lol link
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is a link to an example of these requirements, seems to be working lol link >>

Thanks for the link. Not exactly what I was expecting but it's good to see how the standards get translated to offerings.
  • It will take time for them to get it figured out. The press release states that their are only 75 of the top rated US dealers in that certified section. It appears that the certified section will be what they consider to be the elite dealers like David Laurance etc. The main issue I still have is the format is horrible for listing coins, it is hard to contact the sellers, it is hard to narrow down search results etc....
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are HOF coins on Amazon but not in this new Collectible Coin Store rather Collectibles and Fine Arts. In fact there aren't any in the new store.LINK to HOF Listings Coins could have been listed for a while I just never looked before. Now that I have it doesn't look any harder than Ebay and looks just a good on the page.

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the same inventory as Ebay, just vastly smaller and including generally some of the nicer examples.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given the number of counterfeits out there, I think there may be an opportunity for a marketplace with fewer counterfeits. Perhaps Amazon would be one.
  • pcunixpcunix Posts: 620

<< <i>Here is a link to an example of these requirements, seems to be working lol link >>

I love the "Grading Provided By US Mint" image

Good to know that they are in that business now.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Only NGC and PCGS coins to be sold on the site? interesting. Must also be a member of several reputable organizations to sell. Makes to much sense!! I hope they eat eBay's lunch. Looks like they are trying to keep out the riff raff. eBay could be in serious trouble........

From the Amazon sell your coins page:

Please review Collectible Coins category requirements before submitting your request.
    Sellers must meet the requirements listed below in order to be eligible to apply to sell products in the Collectible Coins category. Meeting these requirements does not guarantee that Amazon will grant approval for selling in Collectible Coins:
    1.Sellers in the Collectible Coins store must have membership in one or more of the following associations:
    •PNG, ICTA, PCGS or NGC
    •ANA, PNNA, FUN and other regional numismatic club memberships are acceptable when accompanied by a membership in PNG, ICTA, PCGS or NGC.

3.Images must comply with our image guidelines and be at least 500px on the longest side.
    4.Current sellers must have an order defect rate below 0.75%.
    5.All products must be authentic, and a majority of products must be authenticated and graded by one or more of these companies: PCGS, NGC, CAC. >>

And, the following (copied from the above) is why ebay won't die as a coin outlet. It is also why people will be complaining about Amazon as well.
    You won't get the rips you hotly want when it is a dealer or knowledgeable seller. You won't get people who find coins from their parents, etc, that just want a simple/easy outlet to get rid of them.

Each business has its place. There should be protections, but to make the hoops to jump through more and more....well, it will remove a lot of the folks who want to sell. As a buyer it may seem great and protected, but as a seller...good luck.

"Sellers must meet the requirements listed below in order to be eligible to apply to sell products in the Collectible Coins category. Meeting these requirements does not guarantee that Amazon will grant approval for selling in Collectible Coins:
    •PNG, ICTA, PCGS or NGC

3.Images must comply with our image guidelines and be at least 500px on the longest side."

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This will not even make a dent in ebay business. It may (if successful) provide a good outlet for certified/graded coins to a limited market, but ebay will continue as always. Cheers, RickO
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't be a bad thing -- hopefully some competition will keep eBay fees from being jacked up further.
  • hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    You arent discussing the most important factor. The fees! They are way higher than eBay.

15% for the portion of the total sales price up to $250; and

• 10% for any portion of the total sales price greater than $250 up to $1,000; and

• 6% for any portion of the total sales price greater than $1,000
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time to go back to Littleton..... APPROVALS !!! image
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no amazon here. never liked them anyway. just saying is all
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
    once the coin site becomes performing poorly ..this utopian idea of regs will fall by the wayside
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like Amazon will be a nice place for retail buyers to shop.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A misleading term Collectible coins when the percentage of Collector coins is far less...

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read on this forum that Amazon "created" coin selling 14 years ago. Can
    someone explain this to me.

Our hosts have had "Collectors Corner" for years. Mostly PCGS coins and
    highly reputable dealers. A good way to buy coins without all of the
    E-bay drama.

Amazon will have to really "produce" to eat anybodies lunch. It could be a
    years for this to happen.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Only NGC and PCGS coins to be sold on the site? interesting. Must also be a member of several reputable organizations to sell. Makes to much sense!! I hope they eat eBay's lunch. Looks like they are trying to keep out the riff raff. eBay could be in serious trouble........ >>

The Amazon restrictions on who can sell coins and what they can sell will keep Amazon prices high due to lack of competition from the flippers. Because of these higher prices on Amazon, ebay will not be eaten for lunch when it comes to coin sales. Better prices (yes, and higher risk) will still be found on ebay.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>(Yawn.....)

Dave >>

Just what I need, a site where I can pay more than retail.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭

<< <i>I read on this forum that Amazon "created" coin selling 14 years ago. Can
    someone explain this to me.

Our hosts have had "Collectors Corner" for years. Mostly PCGS coins and
    highly reputable dealers. A good way to buy coins without all of the
    E-bay drama.

Amazon will have to really "produce" to eat anybodies lunch. It could be a
    years for this to happen. >>

Or they could simply buy CU and be a major force in short order.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file