Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What are the odds of this HR Wire Edge Saint being a legit auction??

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ebay Link

Was Grandma's.

Ungraded, but in a holder in the picture.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    lostincoinslostincoins Posts: 4,278
    The coin, an empty sunglasses case and a tv wall mount. Hum I wounder and the do not bid clause
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Looks pretty beat up to me. Lots of dings and hairlines and the surfaces are completely peppered with marks. There are also several cuts/dings on the rims that make me believe that it was once mounted as a piece of jewelry. In a nutshell, not uncirculated by a mile IMO...
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    62/63. Uh huh...on a 100 scale!
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sent him a message and said I was in his area and would like to examine it. I mentioned that if he was concerned about security we could meet at the police station...

We'll see if he responds.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So his Grandma gave him this 3 months after she died?
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    lostincoinslostincoins Posts: 4,278
    I asked for pics that were larger to see the holder the coin is in as any collector would see it is in a holder no answer yet.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He would have a better chance of selling it if he mentioned who graded it. If it is ANACS, ICG or SEGS, chances are it's genuine. Given the grade, which looks a bit beat up and polished, "genuine" would be the best thing going for it.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    The two photos suggest the coin is in some kind of TPG holder.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't think it was legit at first....until I read that he inherited it from his dead grandmother 3 months after her passing. That's all I needed to hear. I am going to bid because it must be legit. I mean, anytime a grandma is in the mix, it must be real, right?

The coin is real, just messed with like so many other HR 1907 Saints. My guess is that he stole the pictures, then used a shill to place the first bid to give other bidders confidence. Then he will take the money and run. Or, it could be the result of a hijacked account from the recent Ebay breach. Btw, the coin in the picture is in a PCGS holder.

Bottom line: scam.

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seller has only 4 prior selling feedbacks; 3 for clothing and one for an X-box game. I like the Neutral feedback comment he received: item came in mail late and smelled like cigarettes so bad i actually vomitted

The likelihood of him actually having the coin is, well, not high
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grandma wouldn't rip me off...

right?
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ebay Link

Was Grandma's.

Ungraded, but in a holder in the picture.

image >>

Is that within EBAY rules to withdraw, much less state, that "if the auction does not go high enough it will be withdrawn from bidding?" Also odd that such a statement would be made when the coin has a reserve. As to the coin itself it appears whizzed and probably could only qualify for a genuine holder and clearly not of MS grade as suggested.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    scam. seller says he took it to a coin collector who said it is MS62-63. Pictured coin is in a PCGS holder with a grade printed on the label. seller is a liar.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sold an authentic Bob Feller autographed baseball for $29 ? image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL.. At least he has some entertaining feedback! This is classic:

Neutral item came in mail late and smelled like cigarettes so bad i actually vomitted b***r Sep-19-13 06:34
    American eagle xs hoodie blue with orange label (#181205474867) US $2.99

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I didn't think it was legit at first....until I read that he inherited it from his dead grandmother 3 months after her passing. That's all I needed to hear. I am going to bid because it must be legit. I mean, anytime a grandma is in the mix, it must be real, right?

The coin is real, just messed with like so many other HR 1907 Saints. My guess is that he stole the pictures, then used a shill to place the first bid to give other bidders confidence. Then he will take the money and run. Or, it could be the result of a hijacked account from the recent Ebay breach. Btw, the coin in the picture is in a PCGS holder.

Bottom line: scam. >>

This might have been damaged while in Grandma's pocket when she was run over by reindeer?

Yeah I liked how a shill was used to bid $3999.99 when he mentions the reserve is $4000.00 image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The odds of it being legit are zero.

I also asked for a picture of the coin and the full holder.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    violates ebay policy of raw coins over $2500

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>violates ebay policy of raw coins over $2500 >>

2-shey!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    poofed

• Options
    PacecarPacecar Posts: 41 ✭✭
    It's back up, now with a $4500 starting bid.

Link
    Pacecar
  • Options

<< <i>It's back up, now with a $4500 starting bid.

Link >>

no cert number or full pic of slab as required.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file