Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1886 IHC Iridecent Blue In Hand My Pics Let Me Know What You Think

These are taken through the holder, cropped and with very little processing as I wanted them as the camera sees them. The reverse pic has a bit of glare off the plastic and I will work on getting rid of that, I was just excited to have it in hand and wanted to share via my photos. So let me know what you think and take a good look at that reverse die clash as it is very strong.

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Obverse is nice. Reverse seems a bit flat.

What type of lens are you using?
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks a bit over processed.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    lostincoinslostincoins Posts: 4,278
    Canon 28-80 lens and only processing was to crop the pic it is most likely my settings and light source. I will post better pics a bit later when I have my copy stand set up as this was done hand held using the native flash defused as all my lighting is also disconnected at the moment.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin, however I have never cared for blue copper..... personal preference. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I appreciate that Rick as I know you do not like tarnished coins.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    heck of a reverse clash you got goin' on there. image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    tried to make the clash stand out more.

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Has this been exposed to MS70?
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has this been exposed to MS70? >>

see here
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭

<< <i>It looks a bit over processed >>

The coin or the photo or both?

CG
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It looks a bit over processed. >>

I agree.
    Larry

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your post photo editing is pushed a bit far as you can see what looks like pores in the white acrylic.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrible photos. Back off the sharpness.
    Lance.
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not use Todd's pics?
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I completely understand wanting to do your own pics. It's part of the fun.
    Your photos are naturally going to be compared to the awesome original blu62vette pics, so image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    It's a lovely coin and the photos are better than average. You'll fine tune them as you go.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too think your photos of this coin will improve once you experiment a little more. But I find them better than typical auction house pics and I would buy that coin "not in hand" based on your photos.

OINK
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    I would love to see that coin in hand.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked the original pics better.
  • Options
    Lance I did not touch the sharpness setting during processing. When I look at the insert of the NGC holder it is pitted and looks just like the pic when using my loupe. I have not had time today to take some more pics but I will tomorrow(Sunday) and see what happens. These were taken in a RAW format and converted to a JPEG upon saving them. I also went the lazy way on my Canon T3i and set it to auto to hurry things along. Now that being said unless you have the light source just right the coin does not look like this at all, you have to tilt it to get the blue color. Direct on in hand with ambient light it looks brown, lustrous an has purple tones and the reverse shows neat green colors all of an iridescent quality.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Canon 28-80 lens >>

Your reverse image also looks out of focus... Do you have a dedicated fixed length marco lens?

A 28-80mm zoom even with a macro setting might be good for a general portrait work but just does not allow you to really sharply focus on something as small as a cent.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice clash!
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John, shooting raw is good. Exporting to a jpg is good. I'm guessing by "auto" you mean autofocus. Sometimes that is just fine, usually manual is better.

The reverse pic of the OP is overly granular. Since you did no post processing my guess is it's the lighting. The first thing I'd do is move the lights a foot or two higher. You might experiment with lighting types to soften the pixilation, heavy contrast, and excessive shadow issues.
    Lance.
  • Options
    That is a beautiful coin. I dont recall seeing the grade posted anywhere....what did she grade?
    All coins kept in safety deposit box.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty coin. The clashing is pretty dramatic, too.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file