Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The 2013"Mount Rushmore" quarter...

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi guys, I just got my first M.R. quarter in change. Is it me or the bigger face(I think it's suppose to be Lincoln)pictured, doesn't it look like Kennedy more than Lincoln? I do like the coin in general though.What do you guy's think?-joeyimage

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    UGLY
    Just do it.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just another ugly coin..... could not really see what you described.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    sawyerjoshsawyerjosh Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    I work in retail in Maine and our change comes from Fifth Third Bank, and I ordered 4 boxes of quarters ($500) ea. for my store, and they are all Rushmore quarters mixed in w/ older quarters. Something like 75% Rushmore, and the others older. Curious they are being distributed now.
    As a seller: USARarities, acloco, coindudeonebay, Twinturbo, MICHAELDIXON, blu62vette, mothra454, LukeMarshall, USARarities
    As a buyer: QualityCurrencycom, tychojoe, AurumMiner, Collectorcoins, perfectstrike, ModCrewman, LeeBone, nickel, REALGATOR, MICHAELDIXON, pointfivezero, Walkerguy21D
    Trades: georgiacop50
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    The historical inagery, combined with it's unique "close up view" makes it one of my favorites.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I work in retail in Maine and our change comes from Fifth Third Bank, and I ordered 4 boxes of quarters ($500) ea. for my store, and they are all Rushmore quarters mixed in w/ older quarters. Something like 75% Rushmore, and the others older. Curious they are being distributed now. >>

Do you think it's possible someone ordered from the Mint and then cashed some in? Maybe the culls?
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    "I work in retail in Maine and our change comes from Fifth Third Bank, and I ordered 4 boxes of quarters ($500) ea. for my store, and they are all Rushmore quarters mixed in w/ older quarters."

I, too, live in Maine, and I received four of the Mt. Rushmore quarters in change last week. They were nice enough, and different enough, for me to take a second look, but I can't say that I thought that the likeness in the foreground was Kennedy. That portrait is truncated so that only the left eye, nose and upper lip is visible, so it is difficult to say.

It does seem odd, though, that 2013 quarters would be distributed now, and in Maine.

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    OHhh the Horror .......the horror.......
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I do not work in retail,didnt get any Rushmore quarters but I do live in Maine!!!!!
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When flipping a Mount Rushmore quarter, be sure to always call heads . . . image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is JFK on it?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's one of the few state quarters i like and have added to my collection. i have the silver proof version. the other i have is the hawaiian volcano silver proof.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the better ATB's -- very clean imagery. JFK - huh?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I really like it.

I am not seeing JFK though.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi guys, I just got my first M.R. quarter in change. Is it me or the bigger face(I think it's suppose to be Lincoln)pictured, doesn't it look like Kennedy more than Lincoln? I do like the coin in general though.What do you guy's think?-joeyimage >>

I believe that is Washington (far) and Jefferson (near)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hi guys, I just got my first M.R. quarter in change. Is it me or the bigger face(I think it's suppose to be Lincoln)pictured, doesn't it look like Kennedy more than Lincoln? I do like the coin in general though.What do you guy's think?-joeyimage >>

I believe that is Washington (far) and Jefferson (near) >>

Yep. There are two additional portraits between Lincoln and Washington, and Lincoln and Washington both
    face the same way. That is definitely Jefferson in the foreground. Not seeing any resemblance to JFK.
  • Options
    CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you look very close, I think you can see the Geico gecko in the eye of Jefferson.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

image >>

That image reminds me of " Gulliver's Travels"!image

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    <<The coin's image of workmen on the mountain was inspired by photos taken as the final details were added to Thomas Jefferson's face in the 1930s. >>

This was taken from a US mint description. So I guess Lincoln doesn't even show here.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too just got my first one in change yesterday. Weird design. Interesting, but strange.

PS- one can only imagine how baffling this design will be to people after the coins get worn in circulation.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Yeah, as the coin gets worn more and more, one wonders who the images will look like? Brand new and I thought Jefferson was Lincoln or Kennedy!image

• Options
    I like it-- has a unique look. A nice break from all the mountains, lakes and trees.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's sort of grown on me, too. I still think it's a little bit uglyish and strange, but for all that, it's kind of interesting and... different. And different can be good.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, to me, this quarter looks too much like the same style profile of Jefferson as on the nickel from 2005, which I was never a big fan of.................. I'll take a few shiny ones out of circulation or bank rolls, but will pass otherwise on any of them.....image
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

I take it that many of you care only for the "Face Value"!( get it?) face valueimage

• Options
    .... and is it just me, or does that little guy at the bottom right remind anyone else of Jimminy Cricket?!image
  • Options
    <<. and is it just me, or does that little guy at the bottom right remind anyone else of Jimminy Cricket?!>>

Now that you mention it - yes.
  • Options
    AACK!! Disney has its evil clutches on the U.S. Mint!!imageimage
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    When I first got one, I thought it was a flipover double strike of the Washington obverse.
  • Options
    Actually, the Jiminniy Cricket character is repairing Jefferson's eye from the "War nickel" double-eye. I believe it was the '43P nickel.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file