Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I revisted my state quarter Dansco set.. toning alert!

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
The 2001 silver proof coins toned while almost none of the rest did. I bought the coins and put them into the folder in 2001, so they've had 13 years to stew in there, but I have no idea why the 2001s bore the brunt of the toning.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could it be oil from a fingerprint? I like the Rhode Island toner!
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I bet the set was exsposed to something before you bought it.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I bet the set was exposed to something before you bought it. >>

Hmm, possibly. I got it straight from the mint but that doesn't guarantee something didn't get a little haywire somewhere. As for fingerprints, I always used cotton gloves to open the sets. (After thumbprinting a proof silver 1973 Ike, I learned my lesson.) image

I had a set of silver eagles in a Dansco album too, and all of the 86-2003s were bought bright-white in 2003. I kept adding until I sold them in 2009, and by that time almost all had purplish-reddish rims. Not all that interesting of a story, as it's fairly common, but I had the non-corrosive slipcover on the set as well and it still happened.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion and experience with toning, whether in albums or not. Simply put some silver tones
    and some do not. Not all silver tones. I don't mean to over simplify but this has been my experience.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tarnish on silver occurs where there is contaminants (usually sulfur) available..... could be from the atmosphere, the materials contacted or stored in, or from handling...... If silver were totally clean and stored in an inert atmosphere, it would not tarnish. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file