Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Saddle ridge scam scenerios

What if Kragin stumbles upon a few ultra rarities someone found in and old shoebox. What if Kragin also had a bunch of crusty old gold in a safe. What if he puts 2 and 2 together and invents a story. What if few "insiders" collaborate. What if the story is much more mundane then the one being told. Has anyone dated those cans? why bother with slabs and air tites if you can put a bunch of coins in a tin can, bury them for 100 years and then have them grade ms66? Maybe cracking all your coins out and then "discovering" them is more profitable?

Comments

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've read this and your other thread. Please step away from the bottle or pipe.

What if 'Kragin' didn't do what you are describing? Only the ones that were directly involved knew what went on. The rest of us can only fill in the blanks the best we can, or come up with some crackpot conspiracy theories. It's a free country.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it would be a great way to sell a bunch of cleaned coins at twice their value!
  • Options
    Exactly
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if people worry too much?
    What if a very reputable dealer was stupid enough to put their valuable reputation on the line for less than their reputation is ultimately worth in the industry?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Paranoia strikes deep......"
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone dated those cans? >>

Possibly TwoSides2aCoin as he's not very picky on who he dates imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Possibly TwoSides2aCoin as he's not very picky on who he dates imageimage >>

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are very overpriced. The spin doesn't justify it.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The hard part is finding a 100 or more choice unc 1889-s and 1890-s $20 Libs to salt into the hoard. Good luck with that.

The easy part would be trying to find a quantity of XF/AU circs.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What if Kragin stumbles upon a few ultra rarities someone found in and old shoebox. What if Kragin also had a bunch of crusty old gold in a safe. What if he puts 2 and 2 together and invents a story. What if few "insiders" collaborate. What if the story is much more mundane then the one being told. Has anyone dated those cans? why bother with slabs and air tites if you can put a bunch of coins in a tin can, bury them for 100 years and then have them grade ms66? Maybe cracking all your coins out and then "discovering" them is more profitable? >>

...what if Kragin was an alternate version of a U.S. coin dealer in this reality named Kagin...but in an alternate reality??? It's Kagin you troll and he and his family have been honest and respected rare coin dealers since the 1930's image

Erik
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe cracking all your coins out and then "discovering" them is more profitable? >>

The IRS would be happy to tax you on the full value with no cost basis.
    Ed
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭
    You had me until you get to the part where about a dozen are finest known and the million two coin, the 1866 No Motto is practically unique.

Wait! I know, I know! They are all Chinese counterfeits in counterfeit PCGS holders.

I just knew it!
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still could have been a real hoard of several hundred nice coins with tough dates... then another few hundred common junk coins could have been added to the mix after the discovery but before the publication/grading/marketing/sale image
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Still could have been a real hoard of several hundred nice coins with tough dates... then another few hundred common junk coins could have been added to the mix after the discovery but before the publication/grading/marketing/sale image >>

the way some of them looked brillo pad scrubbed gave me pause...and in my imagination, I cooked up just such a scheme image but we are talking about very reputable folks here,
    as has been pointed out...
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if ... pigs could fly?

Would you ride one?
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What if ... pigs could fly?

Would you ride one? >>

Don't do it! Pigs are really slippery!
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭

<< <i>What if Kragin stumbles upon a few ultra rarities someone found in and old shoebox. What if Kragin also had a bunch of crusty old gold in a safe. What if he puts 2 and 2 together and invents a story. What if few "insiders" collaborate. What if the story is much more mundane then the one being told. Has anyone dated those cans? why bother with slabs and air tites if you can put a bunch of coins in a tin can, bury them for 100 years and then have them grade ms66? Maybe cracking all your coins out and then "discovering" them is more profitable? >>

55 posts in 2 years and the last two threads in one day are all about "the sky is falling". You need to take a step back and stop doing whatever you are doing. If you're drinking stop. If you aren't drinking, maybe you should have one
  • Options
    TFTF Posts: 86
    10 minutes of my life I'll never get back image
    Positive BST deals with: Mikes Coins, CED3838, MBCoin. 100% positive eBay feedback {AMF64}
  • Options
    hammered54hammered54 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

55 posts in 2 years and the last two threads in one day are all about "the sky is falling". You need to take a step back and stop doing whatever you are doing. If you're drinking stop. If you aren't drinking, maybe you should have one >>

so post count plays into when or what you say about a subject.......wait, can I say that ?....image
    Successful Transactions.
    Barrytrot(2),Stupid,Savoyspecial,docq,ecoinquest, halfhunter,snman,Coll3ctor.
    wondercoin. Blue594. internetjunky.
    keepdachange. Scrapman1077.Ahrensdad, mrmom, mygrandeoso, blu62vette, Clackamas,giorgio11, adriana, cucamongacoin,
  • Options
    drinking and numismatics dont mix. glad I didnt order any coins.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

I went to this fish place yesterday , for an early dinner. The hostess was maybe in her late 60's. Definitely dateable. I told her she looked beautiful. She said, "I'm the crab".
    That made me happy and very excited.
    I told her I would look for her on the menu.

(PHOTOS edited out for the integrity of the thread.)

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

I went to this fish place yesterday , for an early dinner. The hostess was maybe in her late 60's. Definitely dateable. I told her she looked beautiful. She said, "I'm the crab".
    That made me happy and very excited.
    I told her I would look for her on the menu. >>

TwoSides2aCoin, Too funny... See I knew you liked old cans! imageimage

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    You could have played a round of golf in the time it took you to come up with that scenario.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the 1866 No Motto is practically unique.

It's an 1866-S and it's far from unique. They can ask what they want, but the price is 5x what the NGC coin of the same grade sold for recently
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can "what if" any scenario. i think the story is fishy. especially the whole part about walking ten paces toward the north star, or whatever. but, i have no proof of anything to the contrary. so, i can't blame anyone involved for scamming anyone.

as far as i am concerned, it comes down to this: the coins. the best condition coins in the hoard are the ones that are worth having. the common dates, damaged, cleaned coins in this hoard are never going to be worth a premium to me.

for example, take the time to look at coinfacts for the 49-D $5 coins. there is a vf25 coin that i would much rather have than the vf30 saddle ridge coin. maybe that's just me...but i think the vf25 blows the SRH coin out of the water. do i care that one was found in a rusty can somewhere? no. i care about the look and condition of the coin...not the marketing behind it.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one is forcing you to play.image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Possibly TwoSides2aCoin as he's not very picky on who he dates >>

I choked on my tea when I read that one...... as far as the rest of it, I guess some people just have to have conspiracies to keep life interesting. I am not interested in any of the coins for their provenance. I would never pay a premium for any provenance. I do, however, like gold. I really like gold that I find either panning or metal detecting (I have done both)....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>drinking and numismatics dont mix. glad I didnt order any coins. >>

Thanks for fessing up.
    I had thought this might be the case.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> the 1866 No Motto is practically unique.

It's an 1866-S and it's far from unique. They can ask what they want, but the price is 5x what the NGC coin of the same grade sold for recently >>

If they get 5x, Amazon may be the future of coins.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only scenario I wonder about is if they could be sold without Kagin's involvement. They'd be gong bananas trying to get an insider look at the hoard.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    What if Laura was right?

What if we're all just a bunch of chat room wienies ?

imageimageimage

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Just kidding.

Now go over to that Legend site and order up. Just to show them we luv them.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biggest piece of BS I have ever read on the forum. The 1886-s $10's are the finest graded by three grades from this hoard along with several other similar dates.

But more importantly, do you think Kagins would even think of doing something like this, thier reputation would be ruined.
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭

<< <i>Biggest piece of BS I have ever read on the forum. The 1886-s $10's are the finest graded by three grades from this hoard along with several other similar dates.

But more importantly, do you think Kagins would even think of doing something like this, thier reputation would be ruined. >>

how did everyone forget about the Australian gold nugget that was
    "found" near Nevada city right before the sacramento ana a few years ago ?

maybe the saddle ridge coins were found on the same property ?
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780

<< <i>

<< <i>Biggest piece of BS I have ever read on the forum. The 1886-s $10's are the finest graded by three grades from this hoard along with several other similar dates.

But more importantly, do you think Kagins would even think of doing something like this, thier reputation would be ruined. >>

maybe the saddle ridge coins were found on the same property ? >>

Not everyone - the nugget was discussed in here in this context by this room.

Eric
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

maybe the saddle ridge coins were found on the same property ? >>

Does anyone know how that turned out and where the nugget is now? It seemed like there was a lot of news and then everything went quiet.

Also, what, if anything, has happened to the reputation of the auctioneer since then?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file