Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ebay counterfeit reporting - note from Judith

mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just received an email from Judith explaining the recent changes in counterfeit coin report processing. I know some of you also received it since she didn't use a BCC on the email, but I' post the rest of it for those not on the list. To say the least, it is terribly disappointing.

Hello Regular Reporters,

After 7 years I will no longer be working coin and stamp reports. I want to make you aware of a change that has occurred to the coin reporting process. Your reports are being automatically sent to a different tool to be reviewed and actioned. You will no longer receive responses to your reports and since I will no longer be reviewing them, I doubt that any action will be taken. Only reports sent from the listing page will reach an ebay representative. I fought against these changes but without success.

It has been a great pleasure working with all of you over the years and I sincerely appreciate the time and energy you spent helping the ebay site be a better place to buy and sell coins, currency and stamps. I didn't want you to think I just disappeared. I loved what I did and felt we all were making a difference, no matter how great or small. I will miss working with you.

Again, thank you gentlemen.

Very Best Regards,
Judith

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lame.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    Worse than lame. It should qualify as criminal neglect of consumer protection.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those interested in expressing your disappointment with this change to Ebay, below are the email addresses of Ebay's Big Kahuna. I sent an email last week and received a lengthy reply from his office.

jdonahoe@ebay.com, john.donahoe@ebay.com

Be careful about how you word things. The last thing we want to do is get Judith in trouble. Remember, she still works there.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the "big kahunas" email address.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Amazon I believe, will ultimately be our coin selling friend.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome news for the counterfeiter. Guess it's apparent Ebay doesn't give a sh!t about the collector or those who get bent over. All about the bottom line.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Amazon I believe, will ultimately be our coin selling friend. >>

Got an email from Amazon. They'll be checking professional memberships. Bonafide dealers ONLY. It will tough going as they're only allowing a 0.75 defect rate for sellers.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,213 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Got an email from Amazon. They'll be checking professional memberships. Bonafide dealers ONLY. >>

This is a good thing for buyers.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Got an email from Amazon. They'll be checking professional memberships. Bonafide dealers ONLY. It will tough going as they're only allowing a 0.75 defect rate for sellers. >>

There are no membership requirements to be a coin dealer. Forget Amazon, the basic structure doesn't work for coins anyway.

• Options

<< <i> Forget Amazon, the basic structure doesn't work for coins anyway. >>

I've been selling coins on Amazon for over 2 years. Works just fine.
  • Options

<< <i>

There are no membership requirements to be a coin dealer. >>

Those "dealers" won't be selling on Amazon.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess this explains why I never got a response to my offers to help eBay with counterfeit coins.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> Forget Amazon, the basic structure doesn't work for coins anyway. >>

I've been selling coins on Amazon for over 2 years. Works just fine. >>

No it doesn't. You get buried under a pile of lower priced coins, which makes zero sense because coins are unique. They are not widgets. Why is why Amazon will never replace eBay.
  • Options
    This is the proof of the darkest day ebay has ever had. I am usually very happy with ebay but as of today that is not the case. As for amazon I detest trying to look up coins it is a pain in the butt to do so and you have to pick out categories before it will let you narrow down your search results, that bugs me to no end. mbogoman thank you for the information.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    No wonder this fella nade out so well.

I know that I reported it and I'm sure others did as well.

Oh well, let the slaughter begin..........................
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good news for PCGS-NGC and anyone who sells graded coins.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,213 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good news for PCGS-NGC and anyone who sells graded coins. >>

including the sellers of counterfeit PCGS and NGC slabs.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    lostincoinslostincoins Posts: 4,278
    link for reporting example:link
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>link for reporting example:link >>

What good will this do, if it has been reported that Judith (who ALWAYS informed me of whether action was taken on a reported item) said...."Only reports sent from the listing page will reach an ebay representative."??? I'm all for reporting these bogus coins that unknowledgeable buyers WILL wind up purchasing, now that there is NO use in reporting them, but if all reports will fall on deaf ears, except the 'report item' from the listing, what should make us think any other reporting avenue will fetch a reaction? And we all know that 'report item' from the listing page is about as useless as 'you-know-what's' on a bull.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Good news for PCGS-NGC and anyone who sells graded coins. >>

including the sellers of counterfeit PCGS and NGC slabs. >>

And we all know how good the fake slabs have been getting. They WILL eventually get the fonts right.
  • Options
    That is the report item from the listing page. I have been reporting items and leaving a link to the PCGS listing in coin facts for it as proof and to see if it helps any. I have only verified 2 listing removals so I will have to keep a better eye on what I report. This may also be bad but I bought a coin I know is a fake just so that when it shows delivered that I can call ebay and throw a fit about it not being pulled even though it was reported.
  • Options

<< <i>That is the report item from the listing page. I have been reporting items and leaving a link to the PCGS listing in coin facts for it as proof and to see if it helps any. I have only verified 2 listing removals so I will have to keep a better eye on what I report. This may also be bad but I bought a coin I know is a fake just so that when it shows delivered that I can call ebay and throw a fit about it not being pulled even though it was reported. >>

Not to be rude, lostincoins, but I'll say it again...if it (the reporting link in the listing) was so effective in the past, why were we using the other, now non-existent (well, now non-utilized link....and how much longer will that even be available???) link to report these...the one we were GETTING responses to, and more importantly, we were getting RESULTS with??? They'll go to some flunky and they will be allowed to run their course, and sell, as they always have been.
  • Options
    Don't know will have to see what happens but 3 listings I reported using that link today were pulled as I bid on them so I would get an email that they have been canceled and nothing just poof the listings are gone with no explanation.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file