Home Metal Detecting
Options

Protocol

tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
If I invite someone over on my property to do some metal detecting (with me) what is the protocol if they find something. Is it finders keepers, split, a percentage? Just wondering.

Jim

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731

Comments

• Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Anything that I've read says you should agree to that up front. Even jot it down on paper and have both of you sign and date it, especially if you think anything valuable and/or unusual could be found. If you know them well enough, perhaps a handshake agreement would suffice.

Happy hunting!

(edited for typos)
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    like most answers... it depends.

If you specifically lost anything, let them know up front. I've had people who didn't care what I found, others said, "let's split the value of anything valuable", and some oddballs wanted everything.

If the owner keeps everything, there's not much incentive to detect it. It depends on what you want out of it. I average $2 an hour detecting, so I like the, "if you find anything valuable, let's split it" approach. This way the detectorist can just keep the 1963 roosevelt, and split the value of that rolex with you.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    I want to clarify. If you lost that rolex you would tell him upfront and give him a reward if its found. But if you had no idea it was there you'd split it.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As stated above, it is important to get this agreement up front - before detecting. Things could be all congenial and friendly, but if something of perceived value shows up - it can change in a heartbeat..... have seen it happen. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    ok, thanks for the help.

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's whatever you agree upon up front, of course, but a 50-50 split is pretty typical.

A lot of landowners will typically waive their share if only common coins or low-value relics are found.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget Waiver of Liability, you can download the form.