Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

June specials

I just called about June specials. All I asked about was modern cards: $6.75 with 25 card minimum. Getting harder to justify sending certain cards in for grading.

Comments

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Not so good......
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, $6.75 seems awfully high for a special with that slow a turn around time.

• Options
    GuruGuru Posts: 3,127
    This is why I've been going through SGC and Beckett.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, $6.75 seems awfully high for a special with that slow a turn around time. >>

My Friday night just got busy, LOL
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DBCoin is going to be thrilled!

• Options

That $6.75 rate is probably a strategic move to clear some of the backlog of orders that have been pending too long.

• Options

<< <i>That $6.75 rate is probably a strategic move to clear some of the backlog of orders that have been pending too long. >>

I think you are right here.
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    I just packed up 56 cards and it's going out in an hour.
    Thought about waiting for June, and glad I saw this.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>DBCoin is going to be thrilled! >>

Not with how many are headed Guru's direction.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That rate will certainly have an impact on submission of common cards from the 1970s and 1980s, even the 1960s. If cards need to grade PSA 9 to make them worth submitting, most people, other than the most avid set collectors, are going to pass on submitting them. For 1970s and 1980s, that grade may even be a PSA 10 to make them worth sending in.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>

Not with how many are headed Guru's direction. >>

I was just kidding. He was arguing back and forth about they needed to raise their prices and I personally think there is a threshold where cards just don't get sent in.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I was just kidding. He was arguing back and forth about they needed to raise their prices and I personally think there is a threshold where cards just don't get sent in. >>

I understood, he didn't seem to get that raising rates would have a direct impact on market share among the TPGs or those that will choose not to submit at all.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I was just kidding. He was arguing back and forth about they needed to raise their prices and I personally think there is a threshold where cards just don't get sent in. >>

I understood, he didn't seem to get that raising rates would have a direct impact on market share among the TPGs or those that will choose not to submit at all. >>

Service Levels Order Size
    1-12 cards 13-30 cards 31-99 cards 100+* cards
    2 Day $30/card $26/card $23/card $21/card
    5 Day $25/card $22/card $19/card $16/card
    10 Day $15/card $14/card $12/card $11/card
    20 Day $12/card $11/card $10/card $9/card
    45 Day $11/card $10/card $9/card $8/card

I am not certain they will be flooded with orders with these prices. Not to mention most get cards graded to enhance value and PSA has proven time and time again to lead the pack in that category.

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    I have 125-150 I wanted to send in this month. Hopefully July's special will be back down to $6.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That rate will certainly have an impact on submission of common cards from the 1970s and 1980s, even the 1960s. If cards need to grade PSA 9 to make them worth submitting, most people, other than the most avid set collectors, are going to pass on submitting them. For 1970s and 1980s, that grade may even be a PSA 10 to make them worth sending in. >>

Agreed. Many mid 70s PSA 9s don't even go for that price. I had a hard time justifying it at $6. Add in shipping and insurance both ways and you're looking at $7.50 per card, even if submitting hundreds. Then when you get back a high percentage of 7s and 8s on vending fresh cards, that's even more incentive to stop submitting.
  • Options
    bbuckner22bbuckner22 Posts: 1,028
    John (gemint) nailed it....the grading fees continue to go up but the prices for PSA 9's from the mid to late 1970's have stayed the same or gone down over the last year or so. Hard to justify sending them in to get graded, especially when you know you'll get some 7's and 8's. This really must help 4SC, its more cost effective to buy a 9 for $6-$10 from them than it is to sub your own cards. Hmm...
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>John (gemint) nailed it....the grading fees continue to go up but the prices for PSA 9's from the mid to late 1970's have stayed the same or gone down over the last year or so. Hard to justify sending them in to get graded, especially when you know you'll get some 7's and 8's. This really must help 4SC, its more cost effective to buy a 9 for $6-$10 from them than it is to sub your own cards. Hmm... >>

It also gives them an unfair advantage in the market. I'm sure they continue to get very low rates for their high volume submissions so they can keep cranking out 70s commons while their competition can't afford to do so.
  • Options
    ashabbyashabby Posts: 471
    More a reason to use 4sharp corners. Why wait 3 months not sure of the psa grade and get in a few days from 4sc
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    I'd love to know what 4SC pays per card. I just bought 18 Gretzky PSA 10 cards (that raw are worth 25 cents each) from them for $4.29 each with free shipping. It cost them $15 to ship them to me. They were newly listed on their website so I don't think it was old stock they were just looking to get rid of at a loss. I'd also like to know how many cards they sub per month.
  • Options
    pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    June pre-'56 specials push slab heads to go with the $8 / 30 day rate. Extra buck but beats the 2 month wait.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>June pre-'56 specials push slab heads to go with the $8 / 30 day rate. Extra buck but beats the 2 month wait. >>

Not necessarily.
    When I pay for premium, it goes well past the "estimated" turnaround. My last 10-day popped in 16 business days and my last 20-day popped in 28. This pissed me off enough to call PSA.
    Then, a 50-day order comprised of low-dollar cards I'd been holding onto popped in 8 business days.

No one knows when any order, under any service level, will be graded. PSA doesn't even know.
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭

I am thrilled. Seems they are slowly raising prices. The month of May saw them grade 166,519 cards. I think that is a new record.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd love to know what 4SC pays per card. I just bought 18 Gretzky PSA 10 cards (that raw are worth 25 cents each) from them for $4.29 each with free shipping. It cost them $15 to ship them to me. They were newly listed on their website so I don't think it was old stock they were just looking to get rid of at a loss. I'd also like to know how many cards they sub per month. >>

documents filed with the SEC show the lowest card grading bulk fees are $4. I don't know know this 4SC company or what they pay, but it is not less than $4. $6 doesn't sound so bad now does it?
  • Options
    keep in mind I also said on the Collectors Corner thread that they should give out FREE grading vouchers to anyone who buys or sells a card there. I'd even go as far as they should give out a FREE voucher to anyone who lists more than 100 cards for sale there.
  • Options
    Do the SEC documents say how many cards they graded for no charge?
  • Options
    The month of May saw them grade 166,519 cards. I think that is a new record.

Will be very interesting to see what the volume is with the price increases, as many common cards from the 1970s won't be worth the grading fee even in PSA 9 grade.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>The month of May saw them grade 166,519 cards. I think that is a new record.

Will be very interesting to see what the volume is with the price increases, as many common cards from the 1970s won't be worth the grading fee even in PSA 9 grade. >>

Are you referring to baseball or all sports?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The month of May saw them grade 166,519 cards. I think that is a new record.

Will be very interesting to see what the volume is with the price increases, as many common cards from the 1970s won't be worth the grading fee even in PSA 9 grade. >>

Are you referring to baseball or all sports? >>

My reference to 1970s commons is related to baseball, which comprises the lion's share of PSA submissions, but I imagine the same issue applies even more so among other sports.

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    And still no ticket special........image

• Options

Based on backlog, you won't see a falloff in June. Any falloff would be in late July or August so you will have to wait until probably the August special to see if they lower the special price. I will be interested as well to see what transpires.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>documents filed with the SEC show the lowest card grading bulk fees are $4. >>

can you please point out where you see this. a few years ago I was offered 3.75 a card for a 500 card tall boy order and I was offer a tiered grading plan at 3.5 each and I would not have to pay for cards that did not meet the minimum for a bulk 80's order and I was no where near the submitter as 4 sharp. there is no way they are paying more than 3 bucks a card and they are only paying for what is graded , anything that doesn't meet the minimum grade, they are not paying for those cards
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>documents filed with the SEC show the lowest card grading bulk fees are $4. >>

can you please point out where you see this. a few years ago I was offered 3.75 a card for a 500 card tall boy order and I was offer a tiered grading plan at 3.5 each and I would not have to pay for cards that did not meet the minimum for a bulk 80's order and I was no where near the submitter as 4 sharp. there is no way they are paying more than 3 bucks a card and they are only paying for what is graded , anything that doesn't meet the minimum grade, they are not paying for those cards >>

from the last 10K annual report filed with the SEC in August of 2013:

Our revenues are comprised principally of our authentication and grading service fees. Those fees range from $4 to over $600 per item, based primarily on the type of collectible authenticated or graded and the turnaround times selected by our customers. We charge higher fees for faster turnaround times. Our fees are not based on the value of the collectible, except for special services sometimes requested by customers, for which we charge supplemental fees that are based on the value of the coin. However, such supplemental fees are not material in amount. In fiscal 2013, our authentication and grading fees, per item processed, for all of our collectibles authentication and grading businesses averaged $12.10, and our coin authentication and grading fees ranged from $5 to $600, and averaged $16.29, per coin.

In the case of trading cards, the authentication and grading fees ranged from approximately $4 to $50 and averaged $6.16, per trading card. As a general rule, collectibles dealers and, to a lesser extent, individual collectors, request faster turnaround times and, therefore, generally pay higher fees for more valuable, older or “vintage” collectibles than they do for modern collectibles.

10K Link
  • Options
    That clearly states "approximately $4 to $50". My bet is 4SC is paying much less than $4 and that any modern card that is not a ten they are not paying for.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That clearly states "approximately $4 to $50". My bet is 4SC is paying much less than $4 and that any modern card that is not a ten they are not paying for. >>

Agreed. No way do they pay $4/per.

It should be no secret. Post the bulk prices and let anyone enjoy. If they say $2.50/per at 50k cards per month then offer it to everyone. Not sure why you should have to negotiate for larger orders.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Yea I'd love to know what 4SC pays. For me though paying even up to 12-15$ for commons from 4SC is sounding better then even trying to send in cards. You never know what your gonna get as a grade. I remember at national a couple years ago in Baltimore it was 5$ show special a card and I even thought that was high. It's fun and exciting to send cards in but it def is getting to a point where it gets to expensive for certain cards. I am an avid collector of Ripken and buy a lot of cards for the master collection but there are so damn many and def can get real expensive.
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Why ruin a good thing? $6.75 per card for a special? Huge turnoff for me. Think I'll just work on a July submission and hope they get their senses back.
  • Options
    RaulsmasterRaulsmaster Posts: 663 ✭✭
    I sent in a hundred yesterday as I'm pretty sure you're not gonna see that special in July either considering the National is right after. Plus they're gonna be taking in quite a few at Long Beach with the $5.50 special they are running
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    I am doing the same thing. I will just got to 4sc in the mean time.
  • Options

I think it would be an advantageous strategy for SGC and BGS to take the opportunity during June and July to offer the lowest possible pricing for monthly specials as business structure could allow in effort to try to win over some former PSA customers. The balance of PSA's highest cost per card for a monthly special they've ever posted plus SGC/BGS showing their lowest would be quite a dramatic price differential, maybe enough to gain some ground in the market. Personally, I'll still be sending items in to PSA but will hold off on submissions for a while until pricing comes back down again. In the mean time, I will be monitoring completed sales for some select items graded by all 3 companies.

By comparison, here are the May specials from SGC (their June specials are not posted yet):

1900-Present:
    Any card valued at $250 or less
    Quantity: 1-15 cards - $9 per card
    Quantity: 16-30 cards - $8 per card
    Quantity: 31 or more cards - $7 per card
    10-day turn around time
    *Excludes Jordan and Gretzky rookie cards, cards that require custom inserts, tall boy or oversized cards.

1950-Present:
    Any card valued at $100 or less
    Quantity: 1-25 cards - $6 per card
    Quantity: 26 or more cards - $5 per card
    20-day turn around time
    *Excludes Jordan and Gretzky rookie cards, cards that require custom inserts, tall boy or oversized cards.

10 Day Special:
    Cards valued at $500 or less - $12 per card
    *Excludes cabinet or oversized cards.
  • Options
    now I know why many of you don't make money doing this

SGC and Beckett are considered RAW. PSA has 90%+ of the volume. Submitting to SGC or Beckett even at reduced prices is basically THROWING your money away. You might at well buy a good cigar with that money and get 30 minutes worth of enjoyment.
  • Options

<< <i>now I know why many of you don't make money doing this

SGC and Beckett are considered RAW. PSA has 90%+ of the volume. Submitting to SGC or Beckett even at reduced prices is basically THROWING your money away. You might at well buy a good cigar with that money and get 30 minutes worth of enjoyment. >>

This contention is false. SGC is actually the grader of choice for pre-war cards and the prices such cards realize are certainly in line with PSA prices. For modern cards, a BGS 10 will typically blow away a PSA 10, price wise. You need to do a little more research before making these inaccurate blanket statements.

• Options

<< <i>

SGC and Beckett are considered RAW. PSA has 90%+ of the volume. Submitting to SGC or Beckett even at reduced prices is basically THROWING your money away. You might at well buy a good cigar with that money and get 30 minutes worth of enjoyment. >>

This contention is false. SGC is actually the grader of choice for pre-war cards and the prices such cards realize are certainly in line with PSA prices. For modern cards, a BGS 10 will typically blow away a PSA 10, price wise. You need to do a little more research before making these inaccurate blanket statements. >>

How does the "grader of choice" have a 5% or less market share?

You guys should stop reacting so quickly and think about long term repercussions of your decisions. What holder do you want your stuff in 5-10 years from now? What will give you the best resale price? Who has the better warranty? Which company will still be in business then?
  • Options
    Market share for SGC pre-war cards is easily 50%.

PSA is undisputed king by a large margin for anything post-war to modern issues, but again, you are making blanket statements with no knowledge of the hobby.

• Options
    OckhamsRazorOckhamsRazor Posts: 207 ✭✭

<< <i>Market share for SGC pre-war cards is easily 50%.

PSA is undisputed king by a large margin for anything post-war to modern issues, but again, you are making blanket statements with no knowledge of the hobby. >>

Current Pre-War listings on ebay:

Not Professionally Graded (2,419)

Beckett (BVG) (547)

Global Authentics (GAI) (94)

Professional Sports (PSA) (15,015)

Sportscard (SGC) (4,952)
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all "right-thinking" people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”
  • Options

<< <i>

PSA is undisputed king by a large margin for anything post-war to modern issues, but again, you are making blanket statements with no knowledge of the hobby. >>

Beckett (BVG) (547) 3%

Professional Sports (PSA) (15,015) 73%

Sportscard (SGC) (4,952) 24% >>

%'s added inside the quote
  • Options

<< <i>

Beckett (BVG) (547)

Sportscard (SGC) (4,952) >>

I wouldn't put too much stock in listings for ebay categories and titles, as many sellers use "PSA" in title even when card is not PSA graded, particularly due to the SGC grading scale, but you can see by those figures that SGC is quite relevant for pre-war cards. If you are familiar with Net54, which is the pre-war forum of choice among collectors, you will quickly see that SGC cards are represented very well for this era of collecting.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

This contention is false. SGC is actually the grader of choice for pre-war cards and the prices such cards realize are certainly in line with PSA prices. For modern cards, a BGS 10 will typically blow away a PSA 10, price wise. You need to do a little more research before making these inaccurate blanket statements. >>

How does the "grader of choice" have a 5% or less market share?

You guys should stop reacting so quickly and think about long term repercussions of your decisions. What holder do you want your stuff in 5-10 years from now? What will give you the best resale price? Who has the better warranty? Which company will still be in business then? >>

Please keep posting on the forum. I enjoy reading your posts.

You brought up a very important issue and one that led me to choose PSA almost exclusively. There is tremendous risk to card values in a holder of a company that goes bankrupt.

Beckett has a deteriorating business both on the magazine side and the card grading side. If at some point they are no longer a going concern cards in their slabs will be affected.

PSA's financial strength is a huge positive for the long term value of cards they have graded.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Beckett (BVG) (547)

Sportscard (SGC) (4,952) >>

I wouldn't put too much stock in listings for ebay categories and titles, as many sellers use "PSA" in title even when card is not PSA graded, particularly due to the SGC grading scale, but you can see by those figures that SGC is quite relevant for pre-war cards. If you are familiar with Net54, which is the pre-war forum of choice among collectors, you will quickly see that SGC cards are represented very well for this era of collecting. >>

Are you a politician? Show some proof of what you state. You stated something, it was proven very wrong, you come back with basically nothing.
  • Options

I have been doing this for a few years. That is what I have figured out they do control the market. Good or bad. So that is why I only by psa now
  • Options
    1 will have to look at website. Thanks for info. My concern is what company will be in business down the road. I think being able to sell on psa will also corner of the market for them