Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

D.Carr's 2014 Panama Canal Centennial

WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
Robec just photographed this for me. Cool design and I actually like the artificial toning -- I wonder what technique he uses?

Comments

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    I love the lettering of the PANAMA CANAL legend and the date --- very
    clean and with an old-time style.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>yuck

fake and AT >>

Not "fake" - it is one of the original mintage.
    Not "AT" - that is the color-toned finish as originally issued.

The coloring is done using a sulphur process.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm crazy about mine too.
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love mine too, although I think Dan ran out of sulfur.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, no.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

It's interesting how different all the coins look even though they went through the same process -- I bought two.

• Options
    WL, the bottom one looks tooooooooooooooo cool. I think Dan made that one just for you.....image
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love mine too, although I think Dan ran out of sulfur >>

Based on this thread I just bought some. I told Dan to use the extra sulphur he scrimped on yours to super tone mine.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's interesting how different all the coins look even though they went through the same process -- I bought two.

image >>

I prefer the top one of the pair.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Another unartistic DCarr design
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When is the mint gonna hire this guy to redo all our coins? Lovely!
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is quite anemic by comparison.

Dan, were you on a break??

• Options
    JamesMurrayJamesMurray Posts: 4,036
    "It's not AT" , it's simply colored using a well known AT method ..lol...gotta love that , no way did DC say that with a straight face.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>When is the mint gonna hire this guy to redo all our coins? Lovely! >>

imageimage
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"It's not AT" , it's simply colored using a well known AT method ..lol...gotta love that , no way did DC say that with a straight face. >>

Yeah....I was going to let it pass.... image

But I THINK he's saying that since it was the intent of the maker, it's different than the normal definition of AT, which infers an "after market attempt to enhance".

On the other hand, I agree with you. If the toning of the metal was accelerated, and not as the result of normal environmental factors, it is "Artificial".

Call it "Mint intentional AT"? "Original AT"? I don't know....
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, Mighty Isis!
  • Options

<< <i>Mine is quite anemic by comparison.

image >>

Every one comes out different.
    The length of time in the solution, and the concentration of it, greatly affect the outcome.
    It is nearly impossible to get two or more to come out similar.
    Contrary to what you might think, the strong magenta ones have the least exposure.
    Yours was in a little bit too long.

Anyway, please send it back to me and I'll pick out a more vibrant one for you.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>"It's not AT" , it's simply colored using a well known AT method ..lol...gotta love that , no way did DC say that with a straight face. >>

Yeah....I was going to let it pass.... image

But I THINK he's saying that since it was the intent of the maker, it's different than the normal definition of AT, which infers an "after market attempt to enhance". >>

Correct.
  • Options

<< <i>Oh, Mighty Isis! >>

I'd sayimage

MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At is AT no matter how you spin it and coupled with the fact that dcarr makes fake coins

coin doctor and fake coin maker is what he is
  • Options

<< <i>At is AT no matter how you spin it and coupled with the fact that dcarr makes fake coins

coin doctor and fake coin maker is what he is >>

I suppose you think any post-strike finish is "doctoring", including antique matte finishes and the like.
  • Options

<< <i>At is AT no matter how you spin it and coupled with the fact that dcarr makes fake coins

I just wish you could practiced what you preach in your tag line.

"why worry about what you can't control,when you can worry about what you can control"

FYI every time you stalk a D Carr thread I buy more. Fact

What a grump

MJ
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arriving late to stir the pot!

Remember the $1,000,000 gold coin? It was tooled and polished post-manufacture. Just sayin'

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

"why worry about what you can't control,when you can worry about what you can control"

What a grump

MJ >>

Bless You MJ!!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Arriving late to stir the pot!

Remember the $1,000,000 gold coin? It was tooled and polished post-manufacture. Just sayin' >>

Obviously you do not carry your personal agenda around with you
    which many appreciate!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    What beautiful coins, the design is simplistic and expertly executed. The toning is amazing and as part of the manufacturing process is 100% NT same as when the mint made satin finishes by blasting them. It is unfortunate that people have to bash every one of your designs even though many are one off production pieces created by you. For these to be fake someone else in china would have to copy them, that should be easy enough for even the most limited intellect to understand. I at age 18 owned a 1966 Chevy Chevelle SS 2 door coupe with a 396ci engine and a m44 rockcrusher tranny. The car was a creamed corn baby poop color so I repainted the car pearl white, I then ripped out the interior and bolted in some racing seats with 5pt harnesses just for a start. Makes me think that the same people that harass D.Carr would have to do the same to me and say my car was fake lol.... Dan keep it up as I too hope that some day the mint will at least use you as a consultant to improve our coinage as most current designs are lack luster. I also appreciate that when you are asked a question about your production process you answer that question and your customer service is tops compared to other dealers. Thank you for sharing your art with us and making it in such a way that even someone as limited as I am can acquire one of your pieces.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

What a grump

MJ >>

(I laughed a little cuz it's true.)
  • Options
    i didnt realize that when toning is part of the manufacturing process its not considered AT. is that true? i guess i am not sure of the definition.

In any case i consider dipped coins altered and most older white coins have been dipped. Maybe that should be termed "artificial untoning".

Bottom line, i like the way these look. i am a fan.
  • Options

<< <i>Arriving late to stir the pot!

Remember the $1,000,000 gold coin? It was tooled and polished post-manufacture. Just sayin' >>

Anybody got a pic of Dr. Evil???
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mine is quite anemic by comparison.

image >>

Every one comes out different.
    The length of time in the solution, and the concentration of it, greatly affect the outcome.
    It is nearly impossible to get two or more to come out similar.
    Contrary to what you might think, the strong magenta ones have the least exposure.
    Yours was in a little bit too long.

Anyway, please send it back to me and I'll pick out a more vibrant one for you. >>

Does the solution itself change with use? I am mindful of the old saying that you cannot step into the same stream twice, because you changed the stream when you stepped into it the first time.

Commercial coin cleaners such as Jewelluster change the more it is used.
  • Options
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Another unartistic DCarr design >>

I have to agree with Stone on this one, it looks like some sort art deco knock-off kind of thingy. Take away the toning and you have a token from a local coin show.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    very nice design. infinitely better than almost anything the U.S. mint has put out in recent years.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options

<< <i>

I have to agree with Stone on this one, it looks like some sort art deco knock-off kind of thingy. Take away the toning and you have a token from a local coin show. >>

Sure, folks can feel that way until you examine what Daniel Carr's pieces look like.

Most have the same basic theme of which, I do not have a problem with.

Certainly better than some of the State Quarters.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

I have to agree with Stone on this one, it looks like some sort art deco knock-off kind of thingy. >>

That's cool. Too each is own. As a designer I've learned that even my best work has distractors. It comes with the territory. Some people hate all my stuff even though their wife or daughter may have a closet full of it. It's a good thing we are allowed to vote with our pocketbooks. Dan Carr's stuff happens to sell out. That's kind of novel in today's world.

The biggest praise a artist can get is someone buying their work or another artist knocking part of it off. As for distractors, you can't please everybody.

This particular piece does scream Art Deco which I've leaned to appreciate

Edited to add I don't like everything Dan makes. The stuff I don't like I don't buy and that's the end of it.

MJ
  • Options
    Hey Dan can you give us an idea of the total amount of time that it took you from concept to completed marketable product. This would give us a good idea of the actual effort put into this design. Edit to add: I ask this because I appreciate the attention to detail on this "token" especially on the world and the rivets.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the design. Not crazy about the toning aspect, however.

AT= Accelerated Toning

• Options

<< <i>I love the design. Not crazy about the toning aspect, however.

AT= Accelerated Toning

image >>

Lucky for you he makes them untoned in copper, brass and silver. Operators standing by......

MJ
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

Not saying I could do better but still lacks something IMO.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I love the design. Not crazy about the toning aspect, however.

AT= Accelerated Toning

image >>

Lucky for you he makes them untoned in copper, brass and silver. Operators standing by......

MJ >>

The operators have gone home, but the web site appears to be working late... image

I'm in for the silver satin. Thanks for the pointer!
  • Options

<< <i>What beautiful coins, the design is simplistic and expertly executed. The toning is amazing and as part of the manufacturing process is 100% NT same as when the mint made satin finishes by blasting them. It is unfortunate that people have to bash every one of your designs even though many are one off production pieces created by you. For these to be fake someone else in china would have to copy them, that should be easy enough for even the most limited intellect to understand. I at age 18 owned a 1966 Chevy Chevelle SS 2 door coupe with a 396ci engine and a m44 rockcrusher tranny. The car was a creamed corn baby poop color so I repainted the car pearl white, I then ripped out the interior and bolted in some racing seats with 5pt harnesses just for a start. Makes me think that the same people that harass D.Carr would have to do the same to me and say my car was fake lol.... Dan keep it up as I too hope that some day the mint will at least use you as a consultant to improve our coinage as most current designs are lack luster. I also appreciate that when you are asked a question about your production process you answer that question and your customer service is tops compared to other dealers. Thank you for sharing your art with us and making it in such a way that even someone as limited as I am can acquire one of your pieces. >>

Thanks,

This is a medal that sort of happened by accident. I was commissioned to make a Panama Canal Centennial medal, based on the design of the so-called dollar HK-398 obverse. I misunderstood what the customer wanted and took some liberties with the design to suit my preferences. After I had done most of the sculpting, I found out that the customer wanted the design to be basically identical to the HK-398 obverse. So to salvage the situation, I decided to turn my design into my own product offering, and make a new sculpture for the customer. The basic design and sketching took about 8 hours. The 3-D sculpting took another 20 hours for the obverse and 6 hours for the reverse. The reverse was quicker than normal because I have a special process to sculpt Earth topography efficiently. Die engraving was about 20 hours per side, although a lot of the time the engraving machine ran unattended. Then the die heat-treating (hardening) was about 12 hours. Bead-blasting and polishing of the dies was another couple hours. After all that, the striking goes pretty fast - about 50 to 100 pieces per hour. Edge marking (for the silver content) is pretty quick. Post stike finishing is about 5 to 10 minutes per medal.

My two favorites of this issue are the satin silver and the antiqued brass.
  • Options

<< <i>Does the solution itself change with use? I am mindful of the old saying that you cannot step into the same stream twice, because you changed the stream when you stepped into it the first time.

Commercial coin cleaners such as Jewelluster change the more it is used. >>

The longer the solution is exposed to air, the less potent it becomes.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny how DCarr threads turn regular members into trolls. It's like a full moon effect.
  • Options
    I like seeing his different designs, and what happens when a designer is free of the usual mint constraints. It's nice too that he engages and provides feedback in these threads.

On this particular one, I can't decide if the female figure has been intentionally somewhat stylized, or is just very clumsily modeled. The extended arms are a bit flat and thin, like airplane wings in profile. More troubling is the upturned knee....there is an awkward bulge/misplaced knee joint, and the strange drapery suggests there aren't proper muscles to that leg. The extended foot of the other leg is rather sharp and razor-like.

I think Dan could take his work up a notch by working on little things like modeling of anatomy. Or, little composition details like how the two globes do/don't seem to sit on the ship, their size, how much field is given to the riveted ship bow (which looks more like the stern) etc. Working through and tweaking these elements could take the overall effect to a much higher level that really sings.
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    Lots of critics in this thread.

I could not do better -- and sometimes neither does our mint.

Anyone ever notice the unrealistic amount of distance between the right shoulder and the neck on this classic U.S.Coin design.
    Also her left leg almost appears to protrude out of Miss Liberty's stomach.

• Options
    JamesMurrayJamesMurray Posts: 4,036

<< <i>

Funny how DCarr threads turn regular members into trolls. It's like a full moon effect. >>

Its even funnier how the fans of these baubles would have it that nobody else has an opinion. Id love to hear an answer to Keets question of some time ago which was ..outside of this forum just how popular are these ?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Does the solution itself change with use? I am mindful of the old saying that you cannot step into the same stream twice, because you changed the stream when you stepped into it the first time.

Commercial coin cleaners such as Jewelluster change the more it is used. >>

The longer the solution is exposed to air, the less potent it becomes. >>

Interesting. Thank you.
  • Options
    lostincoinslostincoins Posts: 4,278
    Outside of this forum these items are very popular as most of his offerings sell out. If you do an ebay search you will also see many of his previous offerings being offered at more than original pricing, sometime many times the original asking price. As tp DC giving very specified customer sales datta as to how many customers are board members and how many are not may be a bit to ask.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file