Home Metal Detecting

May 29, 2014: Finally something to post! 1847 Large cent

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
Been getting out a few times recently, but nothing really worthy of posting. Last weekend got permission for a beautiful farm house built circa 1800 but only came away with a buffalo nickel and 1908 IHC. Got what at first looked like a large cent, but it was an Old Orchard Beach good luck token with a hole in it. Got a musket ball at another site and a few other misc. goodies here and there. Seems like things are a lot slower in my new location than my old. Must be more detectorists in this area.

Got out today for a bit. Was hoping to hit a certain park but held off due to the large amount of people there. Tried park #2. First dug target was an 1895 V nickel. Not a bad start! Then nothing else worth keeping. Still worth another visit though.

Saw some construction happening on town property and figured it was worth a shot. In one area they must have taken off 9 inches or more of top soil. Got a shallow target and about a half inch down (after the 9 inches were already removed), out pops a large cent! She's holed, but it's my first of the year and very welcomed. Also got a 1950-D Roosevelt, 1883 IHC, and a few wheats (1910, 1919, 1919). Another half inch and that largie could have been gone forever.

HH all!

Dirty

Comments

• WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Nice find from the construction site! Only construction I've noticed in my area in recent times has been on private lots.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice large cent..... might be worth going back there before it gets covered up....and a silver dime... Good hunt.... Cheers, RickO