Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Opinions on these 4 1980 Wax BB Packs

Picked up a small collection of sets (from 74-85) Topps Baseball and with the '80 set were these 4 packs. The collector bought these cards 10-15 years ago. Not a pack expert but wanted to see if you thought they were legit. Gum on front seems not to be cracked, seals are pretty tight. Value? (Hope to resell if legit). I see Steve has them listed @ $30/ea. Also, anyway to know sequencing and whether Rickey could be inside? I can see an Astros and Twins pitcher on back (could probably figure out who they are), the other 2 packs can't make out player on back. Thanks, Pat

Comments

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They look pretty clean. Look at the fold lines on the corners. If there is no cracking of the wax and it doesn't look like the corner was refolded (crease not where it's supposed to be) and the roller lines look continuous across the flaps, then they're probably untampered with.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it normal to have the back seals folded two different ways? Top left on the backs pic has the white side over the text side vs. the other 3.
  • Options
    If you pull an OC Dick Drago, please let me know
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They look clean to me as well. All from same box too as that is a tougher wrapper variety for 1980. If you open one, and note the cards coming out from back, I can tell you for sure if pack is original.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Tim, with respect to the bottom right pack, what do you make of those two diagonal lines coming from the left side near the top and bottom of the pack?
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    I noticed those white lines too... but they appear to line up with the underlying top/bottom flaps that are folded first. So I think it could be just wear from those creases below it.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I noticed those white lines too... but they appear to line up with the underlying top/bottom flaps that are folded first. So I think it could be just wear from those creases below it. >>

This is my impression as well. These packs wwre likely taken from bottom of the box. The lines don't look suspicious like resealed creases would and corner fold look nice and tight, too, which is very difficult to replicate. The creases you see in resealed packs typically run the length of the pack down the side. Those wrappers are also tough to find as Topps used them at very end of 1980 before continuing with them in 1981 so these packs are almost certainly from same box.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. I learn something new every day.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it normal to have the back seals folded two different ways? Top left on the backs pic has the white side over the text side vs. the other 3. >>

I believe this is pretty normal, Topps was only interested in producing them as quick as possible.

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972