Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Charmy does it again !886 T1 IHC MS64 Beautifully Toned Electric Blue POST yours also!

Ok so I was just going over Charmys' site, the newps she has posted and fell in love with this IHC the colors are amazing to me so I wanted to share it with you all. Any comments will of course be accepted as long as they are good lol just kidding all comments welcome. Would this coin benefit from a cross over to PCGS? Thank you very much Charmy for this addition to my collection. I have not bought a keeper IHC in quite a while.

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My comment is you will like this coin.......
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    lostincoinslostincoins Posts: 4,278
    Thats why my icon is all smiles
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dial down the brightness on the obverse as I just went momentarily blind opening this thread! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks John, I agree with Todd that you will really like this coin. When I first saw it, my reaction was "Wow!" As colorful as it is in the photo, in hand, this coin is so vibrant and lustrous. I'm glad it's going to a good home!
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    I will re-image the coin when in hand these are not my pics so I am very excited to see what it looks like in hand.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW!! That's not 64BN.....it's 64BLUE!!!!

Beautiful coin!!
  • Options
    Dimeman it is not offen when a coin jumps at me like this did, to me it is gorgeous .
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its great that you like the coin, not to be the naysayer but I always shy away from blue IHC's due to so many having been AT'd with that look.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    I can understand about shying away from "blue" toned coins that may have been messed with, but this coin is not as much blue but a vibrant violet/purple, and super lustrous. I studied it hard before buying it and it doesn't look artificially toned to me, or I wouldn't have bought it. It's luster and eye appeal are fantastic in hand - and very hard to capture in a photo.
  • Options
    I do know that MS70 is at times an issue also but this is not a very old holder and if it turned this quick I think it would have had a compromised surface when it went in for grading.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John,

Thanks for sharing with us a truly special coin. The colors and the toning seem to accentuate the details of this coin. You do not often see this with a Red coin. I think that you will be very happy with it for a long time.

OINK
  • Options
    Here are a few photos I just took with my iPhone - sorry they are not very clear but they give you a little better perspective of the luster and purple toning on this beauty.

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I agree the blue ones always leave the possibility of AT. They do look cool and there seems to be a good market for them.
  • Options
    Here you dont want to forget about that super cool die clash on this one

I believe these pics are very true to the in hand look

• Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    That is incredible. Toned something like a Proof. image

Eric
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Nice avatar! Nice coin!image
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    AT might be a bit harsh as it is quite a MA look. I always consider them enhanced or conserved copper as the dipping solutions used sometimes have this effect. As glossy as that one looks I would bet the farm it has had a bath but the market is ok with that and not enough can be said about that date ESP being a type 1. The best date post 77 save for the popular but arguably not as scarce S mint coins.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never trust a blue toned copper coin to cross. Many chemicals can be used to create the blue toning.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Why cross anyhow? Unless for registry purposes. I do not do the registry but as I understand it this coin will not garner many points anyhow.

I was offered $600 on a couple of occasions and declined.

I only sold for less because a coin I really wanted and was expensive came up.

I doubt pcgs plastic is going to increase the value beyond what I was offered and what you gave. This one will hold value on its own merits especially given the popular date.

Also those who collect toned copper will not run from the color on this one.
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats. A very nice coin to own. There is a very strong market in copper with this color, always has and prob always will. I wouldn't bother trying to cross it. Just appreciate it for what it is. This coin doesn't need any defending.

Im reflecting on the Hobby and comparing my thoughts to other collecting realms. Antiques, fossil, arrowheads, gemstones, toys, cars, you name it, coin dudes gotta be the pickiest of them all. Not all bad, it it's the name of the game I suppose.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Drool!

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a blue toned 1906 Indian with a cool strike through. The coin is extremely lusterous as well and very few marks. I like the coin a lot, but I doubt it would grade unfortunately. The coin is much more blue in hand.

imageimage
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options

<< <i>I do know that MS70 is at times an issue also but this is not a very old holder and if it turned this quick I think it would have had a compromised surface when it went in for grading. >>

Holder age is irrelevant as MS70 doesn't turn copper over a course of time since the full color is achieved once chemical experimentation is completed.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Color should have NOTHING and I mean NOTHING to do with grading.

This is a beautiful coin......PERIOD!!!
  • Options
    coppertoning Thank you for the pics when the coin was yours and for pointing out the die clash that just makes me like it that much more as errors are my Fav. What I was getting at withe the holder is that if they thought the surfaces were compromised by chemicals AT it would not have graded as they look for this more now than they did 20 years ago. I have a bit of history on the coin and am good with it. I will of course as stated above image the coin when in hand for all to see in different lighting situations. I do appreciate all the comments on this coin as that is what this forum is about and I am glad it is working here, so please keep them coming.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like this coin too image
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!

<< <i>The best date post 77 save for the popular but arguably not as scarce S mint coins. >>

What crypto said.....I concur. Both varieties of '86 are tough in the upper circ and MS grades. I also like the 1878, but recall
    the '86 being tougher back when I was hunting them for customers.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Any and all information on anything to look for on this IHC besides the die clash would be appreciated. Crypto thank you for the kind words and info anything else?
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with crypto and walkerguy. My tests with MS70 and copper have made me suspicious of all blue toning, including the ones below in my set.

But the market likes them and they sure look pretty. Congrats, John.
    Lance.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Lance those are great IHCs wow. Thank you for the opinion also. Lets get some more IHCs posted!!!!
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lets get some more IHCs posted!!!! >>

The only one with blue I ever owned I believe I sold to Charmy at FUN several years ago - may have been a raw 1888, if I recall.

I did buy this as a spontaneous purchase from an older collector who was thinning his herd.....it had been in a paper envelope for years - whether it's AT or not, I don't know - but for $60 I thought the downside was low:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    would most likely get BB for questionable color as it looks AT may not be but the chance of it getting a BB is over 60%

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like looking at these coins but I highly suspect they have been exposed to chemicals – whether done to create color or not is anybody’s guess. I perceive PCGS as being more difficult with this brilliant color trend than NGC. If collectors like them and are willing to pay a premium for them, I say live and let live.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...but no surprise, Charmy has some of the BEST coins around. One day I will be able to acquire one of her IHC's, primarily a Copper Nickel variety that PCGS recognizes. The "1864 CN PCGS MS66 (S-5 Polished Dies on Ear, Secure Plus - TOP POP!) - is too much! I would like to acquire a lesser grade, but Rick Snow had one (XF-40) a few weeks ago, but I was too slow in finding it. GreatCollections has an AU-55 but they want way too much of an opening bid.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow...but no surprise, Charmy has some of the BEST coins around. One day I will be able to acquire one of her IHC's, primarily a Copper Nickel variety that PCGS recognizes. The "1864 CN PCGS MS66 (S-5 Polished Dies on Ear, Secure Plus - TOP POP!) - is too much! I would like to acquire a lesser grade, but Rick Snow had one (XF-40) a few weeks ago, but I was too slow in finding it. >>

There are a number of cents from Rick's site that I was beaten out on...too slow, too!
  • Options
    I would think that you could ask Rick to find what you are looking for.
  • Options
    ok I am cheating a little, but I think this coin can still apply to the thread

Not sure what your skills are, but if Bob was willing I would let him shoot your new indian.

If I did not sell it quick I was going to send it to him for proper pics to help the sale.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it looks cool
  • Options
    coppertoning all blue to purple coins are welcome and which Bob are you talking about for the pics?
  • Options
    Pm sent
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>coppertoning all blue to purple coins are welcome and which Bob are you talking about for the pics? >>

Bob Campbell. He shoots great images!
    Lance.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>coppertoning all blue to purple coins are welcome and which Bob are you talking about for the pics? >>

Bob Campbell. He shoots great images!
    Lance. >>

Someone else does too. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I shot the OP coin, here is another look:

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's really quite a stunning coin !!!
    Congratulations on this vibrant and striking example!image

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    Bob Campbell aka robec hum I wounder who else I could talk to Lance do you have any ideas? I am going to give it a shot first and see how I do. I do own a decent setup so I should put it to use. I have not been taking any pics of coins lately as I tore everything down and was considering selling my copystand (a nice Kaiser) because I am setting up a work area in my basement and will not need the stand I currently have even though it is super cool.... I thought it was time to get a proper work area set up instead of having it all sit by me in the living room. Not to pro looking and very messy I know but hey it is what it is....

• Options
    Well it's definitely one of the nicest Smurfian Cents I've seen! image
  • Options
    I heard that Smurfet was the original owner of this IHC.
  • Options
    That is one big shot of my coin, does the clashed die obverse and reverse add any value?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file