Home U.S. Coin Forum

1964 Kennedy Half Dollar Reverse Proof

Did the US Mint ever make a 1964 Reverse Proof 90% Silver Kennedy Half Dollar ???

Comments

• commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭
    No.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • goldgirlgoldgirl Posts: 159 ✭✭

<< <i>Did the US Mint ever make a 1964 Reverse Proof 90% Silver Kennedy Half Dollar ??? >>

What is this coin from not US Mint right???
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Post-Mint damage.

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it looks like the same kind of artificial frost that cameo doctor's use…I say it was a legit 1964 proof that was turned into what is listed…probably in a coin doctor's lair (AKA basement) image

it's worth $6.86 today,
    Erik
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Here's a grotesquely overpriced example. It's a private-industry modification
    of an authentic U.S. silver half dollar.

http://www.fcmint.com/p-435-reverse-finish-1964-90-silver-kennedy-half-dollar.aspx

OK thank you, I never saw a reverse proof 64 Kennedy, maybe the 50th anniversary of the release of the 1964 Kennedy half-dollar might have a "REAL" one...
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a grotesquely overpriced example. It's a private-industry modification

http://www.fcmint.com/p-435-reverse-finish-1964-90-silver-kennedy-half-dollar.aspx >>

What a joke! The "P" mintmark? On the obverse? Silver plated...blah, blah, blah...
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They didn't even polish the heck out of the numbers and letters

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a grotesquely overpriced example. It's a private-industry modification of an authentic U.S. silver half dollar.

If you think that's grotesquely overpriced, look at this:image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Here's a grotesquely overpriced example. It's a private-industry modification

http://www.fcmint.com/p-435-reverse-finish-1964-90-silver-kennedy-half-dollar.aspx >>

What a joke! The "P" mintmark? On the obverse? Silver plated...blah, blah, blah... >>

I simply do not understand the offering.

They say its an authentic Kennedy Half Dollar that they've layered in .999 fine silver yet the coin displays a "P" Mintmark??

That tells me that its really a fake coin which has been cast with a 1964 date using a newer coin as the model. Note how small the bust actually is compared to an authentic 1964 Kennedy Half?

See where the bust on the authentic Proof dips down almost to the 9 whereas the new version does not.

These folks obviously know something about Kennedy Half Dollars but evidently, they do not know enough.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

What a joke! The "P" mintmark? On the obverse? Silver plated...blah, blah, blah... >>

They say its an authentic Kennedy Half Dollar that they've layered in .999 fine silver yet the coin displays a "P" Mintmark??

That tells me that its really a fake coin which has been cast with a 1964 date using a newer coin as the model. Note how small the bust actually is compared to an authentic 1964 Kennedy Half?

See where the bust on the authentic Proof dips down almost to the 9 whereas the new version does not.

These folks obviously know something about Kennedy Half Dollars but evidently, they do not know enough. >>

I think it may be a 999 silver foil sticker attached to the coin.
    The "P" mint mark is part of the image printed on the foil, but it has no actual relief to it.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

These folks obviously know something about Kennedy Half Dollars but evidently, they do not know enough. >>

The "P" mint mark is part of the image printed on the foil, but it has no actual relief to it. >>

A what?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>

<< <i>
    The "P" mint mark is part of the image printed on the foil, but it has no actual relief to it. >>

A what? >>

Those hologram'd Silver Eagle coins are just a foil sticker (with a hologram printed on it) which is applied the Walking Liberty figure.
    I think this "reverse proof" Kennedy is similar, except that the sticker has a black & white image printed on it.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image What you can do with some tape and a sand blaster. image

Hoard the keys.
  • EthanEthan Posts: 315 ✭✭
    This pisses me off...
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

“I want you to remember that no * ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb * die for his country”
  • What a joke! The "P" mintmark? On the obverse? Silver plated...blah, blah, blah... >>

The "P" mintmark in this case is authentic. Other than the date, this looks like a proper late date Kennedy half.

The strong hair part that Mrs. Kennedy found objectionable and once got rid of is back. I think that happened about 1990. That was in the era of "P" mintmarks.
    So the strong hair part and "P" mintmark belong together.
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

The horror. The horror.
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever it is.... it is not even close to appearing authentic..... Cheers, RickO

<< <i>

<< <i>

I did not see the one on EBAY had a P Mint Mark, must be something different, anyhow someone likes it, probably don't know it's not a "REAL" US Mint reverse proof HALF

Q: Hello how did this coin get a rev proof finish was it done by you or did you send it out and have it done just have never seen one like this thanks Eric
    A: The coin was struck by the US Mint over 40 years ago in 1964.There are not many around,and it is stunning.Thanks for asking. srsr4115 I thought these were never made at the US mint???

<< <i>Q: Hello how did this coin get a rev proof finish was it done by you or did you send it out and have it done just have never seen one like this thanks Eric
    A: The coin was struck by the US Mint over 40 years ago in 1964.There are not many around,and it is stunning.Thanks for asking. srsr4115 I thought these were never made at the US mint??? >>

I see that they avoided answering the real question.

The one linked above is different that the one pictured earlier in this thread. This one (above) has a correct size "large-head" and no "P" mint mark. Also note that all the lettering is frosted, unlike the "small-head" version shown earlier. I think the Small-Head one is, in part a "photo-shop" job. The Large-Head one was probably made by polishing the whole coin, then applying a removable mask and sand-blasting the exposed fields. I've seen President dollars the same way.

Also, their math isn't very good. 1964 was 50 years ago.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Q: Hello how did this coin get a rev proof finish was it done by you or did you send it out and have it done just have never seen one like this thanks Eric
    A: The coin was struck by the US Mint over 40 years ago in 1964.There are not many around,and it is stunning.Thanks for asking. srsr4115 I thought these were never made at the US mint??? >>

See, that is called a lie.

Some think if an ebay seller says " __________ " and they can invent a reason in their head to agree, then everyone else just might be wrong.... What a fortune one could make off a pattern reverse proof 1964 Kennedy! The only one known.... if only the experts weren't so stupid to not agree it is possible that such a coin exists....

But, it's just a lie to sell some garbage on eBay to the unsuspecting.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>

See, that is called a lie.

Some think if an ebay seller says " __________ " and they can invent a reason in their head to agree, then everyone else just might be wrong.... What a fortune one could make off a pattern reverse proof 1964 Kennedy! The only one known.... if only the experts weren't so stupid to not agree it is possible that such a coin exists....

But, it's just a lie to sell some garbage on eBay to the unsuspecting. >>

That was my point they were lying to the person who asked the question, and was most likely the bidder, so when they get the coin they will think they have a genuine 1964 Reverse Proof Kennedy Half Dollar made at the US Mint in 1964... Why shame on that seller, good thing there are not many like that on eBay!!! image
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Post-Mint damage. >>

agreed, PMD.

junk
    Frank

BHNC #203

• JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a newer photo.

• DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is a newer photo.

image >>

Hmm.

Looks like a genuine 1964 silver 50c that they polished the heck out of, and then selectively silver plated the fields somehow.

I think the "P" mintmark in the other image was a mistake in an artist's rendering.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins

image >>

Is this the legit one that is to be released in 5 days at the ANA? It has a W mint mark.

Erik
    The one above is not a 1964...

I think there will be a RP in the Kennedy Silver Set, but I think the date will say 1964-2014 image
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

Is this the legit one that is to be released in 5 days at the ANA? It has a W mint mark.

Erik >>

This will not be released on the 5th. No release date has been announced, just "in the fall". And the date will just be 2014 as shown, not the dual date. Only the gold has a dual date.

<< <i>The one above is not a 1964...

I think there will be a RP in the Kennedy Silver Set, but I think the date will say 1964-2014 image >>

no…only the gold will have the duel date…the person who posted the picture above also has pictures of the brasher doubloon that will be released at the ANA…wonder if he/she works for the ANA or the US Mint???

Erik

<< <i>The one above is not a 1964...

I think there will be a RP in the Kennedy Silver Set, but I think the date will say 1964-2014 image >>

No. The only coin to get the dual date is the .999 fine Gold Coin.

All others will bear the single 2014 Date.

The name is LEE!
    OK thank you, I knew I saw the dual date somewhere, I WISH there were a REAL "from the US Mint" 1964 Kennedy RP half I'd be buying it if I could afford it image
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK thank you, I knew I saw the dual date somewhere, I WISH there were a REAL "from the US Mint" 1964 Kennedy RP half I'd be buying it if I could afford it image >>

Maybe DC can make a few? image

<< <i>

<< <i>OK thank you, I knew I saw the dual date somewhere, I WISH there were a REAL "from the US Mint" 1964 Kennedy RP half I'd be buying it if I could afford it image >>

Maybe DC can make a few? image >>

Sorry, who is DC image
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darnell Costanza

<< <i>

<< <i>

Maybe DC can make a few? image >>

Sorry, who is DC image >>

Me.
    I've made some fantasy-date coins in the past by over-striking genuine coins to give them a date which was never originally issued for that type.
    Like this one I did last year (a "1963" date applied to an original 1964 Kennedy half dollar):

The process can also be used to put a proof finish on a coin. When the US Mint failed to produce any 2009 proof Silver Eagles, in 2010 I took genuine non-proof 2009 Silver Eagles and over-stamped them with template dies to give them the appearance of proofs (I also added a "DC" mint mark):

So a reverse-proofed 1964 Kennedy half dollar over-strike would be technically possible, but I have no plans to do one.
    OK thank you for the info, maybe I can order some coins from you in the future, especially the 2009 proof since the mint never made one that year, I have all the other years but that one, well I guess that's the case for most people, nice coins.. image

<< <i>OK thank you for the info, maybe I can order some coins from you in the future, especially the 2009 proof since the mint never made one that year, I have all the other years but that one, well I guess that's the case for most people, nice coins.. image >>

That particular coin has been sold out for quite a few years goldgirl. After market prices are in the $300-$400 range.

The name is LEE!
    OK thank you I thought I could buy one from dcarr, but I guess he only make a certain amount when he makes coins, I have bookmarked his site so will see when he makes something new..
    Now I have been collecting coins for a few years now, but never heard about Mr. Carr.

Glad I joined here or might not have found out about the coins he makes image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file