Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Shortest print run set that you've completed? How many cards?

Just a couple general questions:

1. What is the lowest individually numbered set you've completed from packs or buying piecemeal?

2. What was the set numbered to?

3. What did you do with it when you were done?

Example:
(2), 2014 Topps Gold Series 1 sets of 330 cards

Numbered to 2014

Sold them both

Not asking for any particular reason, just wondering what has been put together.

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting question, off the top of my head:

1. 2000 Bowman's Best BB
    2. last 50 cards of the 200 card set #d to /2999
    3. still own it and trying to get a few more inserts to complete the master set

I'm sure I've got a lower #d set around here as well I'll have to dig up (Topps Unique maybe?).
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I had the Topps Archives Gold set /199 completed last year. I've broken it up on Ebay and COMC since.

Once the chase is over, I really don't get much enjoyment just staring at the cards.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I completed the 1999 Leaf Certified football Gridiron Gear 72 jersey set. The cards were numbered to 300. The thing about my set was that I did it is 100% multi-colored patches. The hardest set I worked on was the 1997 Totally Certified Platinum Gold football. There are 150 cards in the set serial numbered to 30. I got to within 18 cards of completing the set. I knew of 3 other guys in the country working on the set. I thought mine was the closest to being complete until I broke it up and started listing the cards on Ebay. The 5th guy contacted me and told me he only needed 6 cards to finish his set. I had 4 of the ones he needed. He made me an offer on the 4 cards that I couldn't refuse. I also broke up the Gridiron Gear set. As billwaltonsbeard said the hunt for the cards is the fun part.
    James
  • Options
    2000 Fleer Focus Baseball Masterpiece Mania set. 250 cards in the set. Masterpiece Mania have the green foil and are numbered to 300. Took close to 8 years
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    James, that Leaf Certified multicolored set sounds awesome!
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Back three years ago I bought a case of 2010 Bowman Chrome baseball and had a blast opening it up and making sets. There were tons of refractors in the case and occassionally I would hit a serial numbered refractor which got me thinking about doing the unheard of. So I began buying orange refractors from the set off of Ebay (# to 25). About half way through the project I realized that this was going to be extremely expensive and time consuming but too late to turn back around. Turns out that the set has a ton of incredible prospects and rookies who are now making a very nice name for themselves. Altuve, Strausberg, Heyward, Sano, Olt, Shelby Miller, Starlin Castro, Arenado, Wil Myers and many more studs. When I look at guys collecting the refractor set from 1993 Finest and production being somewhere around 250 per card. I might have picked a battle not worth fighting. The 1993 Topps Finest set has 199 cards. The 2010 Bowman Chrome has just a little over 400 cards. So I am trying to tackle a set twice as big but 1/10 of the production run. A little crazy but a ton of fun.

As of today, I am missing 3 cards to complete this set. I have never seen the three cards come up on Ebay so they are still in their packs or people just don't want to sell them. I have duplicates/triplicates in most cases. Once I complete it I will have PSA grade the set out and perhaps be the first person to make a numbered to 25 set known to exist.

The 2010 Bowman Chrome red refractors are numbered to 5. I have four of the five serial numbered cards of one player just to see if I can get all five cards produced. Once I get the set done I am planing to keep it.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Gameused- This is a great thread and I would love to hear what others are collecting too. I have been thinking about this for a long time but what are the odds that others are making the same set that I am and that is why I can't find the three cards that I need. Makes me wonder what percentage has already been opened too.

Great thread again.
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Back three years ago I bought a case of 2010 Bowman Chrome baseball and had a blast opening it up and making sets. There were tons of refractors in the case and occassionally I would hit a serial numbered refractor which got me thinking about doing the unheard of. So I began buying orange refractors from the set off of Ebay (# to 25). About half way through the project I realized that this was going to be extremely expensive and time consuming but too late to turn back around. Turns out that the set has a ton of incredible prospects and rookies who are now making a very nice name for themselves. Altuve, Strausberg, Heyward, Sano, Olt, Shelby Miller, Starlin Castro, Arenado, Wil Myers and many more studs. When I look at guys collecting the refractor set from 1993 Finest and production being somewhere around 250 per card. I might have picked a battle not worth fighting. The 1993 Topps Finest set has 199 cards. The 2010 Bowman Chrome has just a little over 400 cards. So I am trying to tackle a set twice as big but 1/10 of the production run. A little crazy but a ton of fun.

As of today, I am missing 3 cards to complete this set. I have never seen the three cards come up on Ebay so they are still in their packs or people just don't want to sell them. I have duplicates/triplicates in most cases. Once I complete it I will have PSA grade the set out and perhaps be the first person to make a numbered to 25 set known to exist.

The 2010 Bowman Chrome red refractors are numbered to 5. I have four of the five serial numbered cards of one player just to see if I can get all five cards produced. Once I get the set done I am planing to keep it. >>

This is insanely cool.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Shane, that's awesome and crazy.

I have the Topps Heritage numbered to #555 sets (chrome in 2001 and 2002, and refractor from 2003-on) done or close, from 2001-09. However, I didn't actually build any myself. Late to the game. I am trying to complete them, however. Not easy. Can't imagine 1/22nd the quantity being out there, and we are only talking 100-200 cards per year.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    Stadium1978Stadium1978 Posts: 173 ✭✭
    While not technically a set in the traditional sense, I collected all four of the 1 of 1 printing plates for Joel Zumaya's 2007 Topps card. He was my favorite active player at the time and I was lucky enough that they all showed up (from four different sellers) on ebay/beckett.com.

Later on I sold them as a set after he wasn't resigned with the Tigers.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭

2004 SP Game Used All-Star Signatures

AS-MJ MICHAEL JORDAN

If I can ever find this card I'll complete my set. #25. The Gold version exists but I have never seen this version and PSA has never graded one so I doubt that it even exists
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    RyanAdmirerRyanAdmirer Posts: 632 ✭✭
    Put together two 2012 Topps Chrome Football Prism sets #'d to 216 (220 cards in set).

Sold 1 and kept 1
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Here are my 3 completed. Numbered to 200, 25 and 25

Strasburg Team USA
    All time basketball draft
    Five Star Racing
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    PhilGPhilG Posts: 237 ✭✭
    I have done the 93 Finest refractor set. I currently own 3511 refractors or 7.3% of the production run. I like making short prints. So far I have made 13 short prints. The most I have of one player is 115 Randy Myers. I have an asterisk in Beckett for Randy. I never sell. I just keep adding to the hoard.
    Phil
  • Options
    Phil,
    That is unbelievable that you have 7.3 produced. I would love to finish this set very soon as it has been a beating watching Ebay everyday to see what new items hit the market.
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    I'm 5 cards away from finishing the 266 card 2001 Topps Chrome Traded Retrofractors set. They are limited to 500.

Also, 5 cards from finishing the 2004 Topps Cracker Jack Blue Mini set. SP's are limited to about 500 and non SP's are around 750 printed.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    In reading some of your responses all I have to say is that we are a bunch of sickos. I've also remembered a couple other sets I've done and moved on from:

2011 Bowman's Best Refractors, only did the veterans, 25 cards numbered to 99, actually did 2 sets there
    2009 Topps Basketball - Gold, 330 cards, numbered to 2009, may have had 2 sets here too, moved both
  • Options
    kwtozkwtoz Posts: 352 ✭✭
    2005 Finest Green Xfractors, 166 cards, PSA 9.645
    2006 Finest Green Xfractors, 155 cards, PSA 9.723

Both numbered to 50.
    Kevin Thomas
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Like EsquireSports, I too have the 2001 heritage chrome set (110 cards #/552) and 2002 heritage chrome (100 cards #/553). I also have the 2002-2014 heritage refractor sets (each set #/554 to #/565) - basic 1-100 sets completed. I have a handful (~20) needed for the 2008 300 card set, and the 2009/2010/2011 200 card sets.

I know someone who has 8 complete sets of the 2001 heritage chrome set.

I have built all of them by hand, and it was easier than i expected thanks to all the great heritage traders out there. Esquire, if you need some refs let me know, i have extras.

Edited to add that i keep them in binders because my kids enjoy looking through them. No plans to sell.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One set that I am still kind of working on is the 1999 Leaf Rookies & Stars Football Super Statistical Standouts . The die cut ones are numbered to a number based on one of the players stats and the regular version is numbered to 1250. The production numbers run from the Terrell Davis #ed to 5 to the Barry Sanders #ed to 86. It is only a 25 card set. I have 20 of them including # 5/5 Terrell Davis. I also have 2 different Barry Sanders mis-prints. Burbank Sports Cards has a few listed on Ebay now including the # 4/5 Terrell Davis. They have one listed that I need but I don't like their prices.
    James

Terrell Davis 4/5
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Burbank Sports Cards has a few listed on Ebay now including the # 4/5 Terrell Davis. They have one listed that I need but I don't like their prices.
    James >>

Just keep watching it. They usually drop their BINs if it doesn't sell within a couple cycles. I've had very positive experiences with them, but their initial listings are typically overpriced.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Topps 1990 Mylar Stickers

Topps Golden Spikes 91-94

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Gameused- This is a great thread and I would love to hear what others are collecting too. I have been thinking about this for a long time but what are the odds that others are making the same set that I am and that is why I can't find the three cards that I need. Makes me wonder what percentage has already been opened too.

Great thread again. >>

What are the 3 cards?