Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

SMH at some sellers

Hmmmm! I guess it could be a typo.

Ebay Link

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would you take the time to post and not hit the BIN? Ebay's got you covered image
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Uggg....why do I feel like someone is about to take it on the chin?
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

No feedback, no other items for sale concurrently, and user just opened the account yesterday. Sure seems legit, what warning sign could there possibly be? image

• Options

<< <i>No feedback, no other items for sale concurrently, and user just opened the account yesterday. Sure seems legit, what warning sign could there possibly be? image >>

I'm still surprised no one has hit that BIN button yet.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Maybe noone wants the headache of trying to get their $1,000 back.....
  • Options
    Bobby,

You posted a similar comment when I asked about the authenticity of a card.

Let me ask: when have you ever seen a buyer get ripped off on eBay, KNOW they got ripped off, and not be able to fully recover their money? With seller refunds/returns, eBay buyer protection, and credit card chargebacks, buyers seem near invincible.

I can see the HASSLE of getting money back being a deterrent, but, from my perspective, the buyer IS getting their money back, no question. The reason it is worth the hassle in questionable cases is that the card MIGHT be legit and a STEAL.

Now, here this is 100% no doubt a fake for all the reasons others have said. In other cases, maybe not...

Casey
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    I have a question - let's say you hit the BIN and remitted the $1K. Assuming the deal went south, and assuming that they seller already moved the money, are you covered if the funds cannot be recouped from the seller?
  • Options
    Yes.

1. New seller accounts have their funds "frozen" by eBay for a period of 21 days, at least. So, he can't just move the money.

2. If a seller moves money out of their PP account, PP will refund you, and then pursue collections vs. the seller.

3. eBay / your CC company may also choose to refund (depending on amount) and go after the seller on your behalf.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

Iv'e always made bigger transactions using my credit card through paypal. That way I'm always covered regardless of what paypal thinks.
  • Options

<< <i>Iv'e always made bigger transactions using my credit card through paypal. That way I'm always covered regardless of what paypal thinks. >>

Definitely do this.
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    I asked him to send me a closup picture of the corners because I told him I want to make sure they are pristine. Since I am pretty confident he doesn't have the card will he:

1. Say he can't take the picture because the card is at his grandma's house and he is selling it for her to pay off her bingo debt.
    2. Say that something is wrong with his camera and it won't let him take the picture.
    3. Try to explain to me about the professional grading system and that what they say is as good as gold
    4. nothing at all.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    Product Identifiers
    Card Manufacturer Star
    Year 1985 - 1986
    Card Set Name All-Rookie Team
    Card Number #2

Features
    Era Modern
    Role Featured Player
    Name Michael Jordan
    Team Chicago Bulls
    Original/Reprint Original

• Options

<< <i>I asked him to send me a closup picture of the corners because I told him I want to make sure they are pristine. Since I am pretty confident he doesn't have the card will he:

1. Say he can't take the picture because the card is at his grandma's house and he is selling it for her to pay off her bingo debt.
    2. Say that something is wrong with his camera and it won't let him take the picture.
    3. Try to explain to me about the professional grading system and that what they say is as good as gold
    4. nothing at all. >>

I asked for a close-up of the Flip a few hours ago ... no reply yet, obviously...
  • Options
    ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    I'm bored enough to hit the BIN just to see what he tries to send.
  • Options
    We have a winner! Was that you Evan?
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for answering my question. The buyer really is invincible. It has to be tough being a seller when you end up having to deal with an unreasonable buyer.
  • Options

<< <i>We have a winner! Was that you Evan? >>

Yes, it was me. I will screenshot my communications with the seller for your viewing pleasure. Standby.
  • Options
    Unreasonable buyers and a deck stacked against sellers is the price for accessing the largest and most liquid marketplace for collectibles in the world. People who complain usually ignore the massive financial benefits there are to a global forum with 100s of millions of buyers. Just the cost of doing business.
  • Options

<< <i>

Yes, it was me. I will screenshot my communications with the seller for your viewing pleasure. Standby. >>

This should be awesome.
  • Options

My gut feeling is that he's going to send a fake invoice that will be an attempt to phish my PayPal account information. If he sends a scan of the card as requested, I will go to eBay and click to pay through PayPal via American Express to add a layer of protection. Now we wait until he gets home from work or wherever he is.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Yes, it was me. I will screenshot my communications with the seller for your viewing pleasure. Standby. >>

Sweet hahaha!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His last response clearly illustrates he doesn't have the card. Will be interesting to see what transpires next, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Thanks! I had almost talked myself into hitting the BIN. I agree, this will be interesting, and if it happens to come through would be a huge score.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks! I had almost talked myself into hitting the BIN. I agree, this will be interesting, and if it happens to come through would be a huge score. >>

We all know it's not going to come through.

I found the source of the scan that he used.
  • Options
    Well, if he has any Google abilities he should be able to find this scan which is on a black background.
  • Options
    "Send invoice" makes it sounds like he's going to ask you to pay him through PP directly, to try to bypass the eBay funds hold for new sellers.
  • Options

<< <i>"Send invoice" makes it sounds like he's going to ask you to pay him through PP directly, to try to bypass the eBay funds hold for new sellers. >>

Ah ha. That would make sense. I'll circumvent and do it through eBay as planned.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    the worst part of all this is that someday soon Evan will be leaving us for training camp. image
  • Options

<< <i>the worst part of all this is that someday soon Evan will be leaving us for training camp. image >>

That's not until July 25th. It's all fun and games until then.
  • Options
  • Options
    Connecting dots... I never realized the 'Hand delivered with balloons' Bo was yours.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    eBay is excellent about getting your money back and if it's bogus it's easy to prove. If Evan had not, I would have. It's a no lose situation Good Luck on the Jordan Bud!
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    This will be fun to watch image

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Almost like Juandog redux

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Good thread. It'll be entertaining at the least. Also expose a cheat and show others what to look for/how to handle.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Evan ... have you thought about what your response will be to him after he sends you that pic that you found on Google?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    The easiest way to tell if an invoice is legit is to access eBay and check your messages. Any real eBay email will show up in your email in box AND in your eBay messages.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options

<< <i>I asked him to send me a closup picture of the corners because I told him I want to make sure they are pristine. Since I am pretty confident he doesn't have the card will he:

4. nothing at all. >>

Funny that he isn't giving everyone the same answer to this request. Here is the reply I received from him when asking for additional pictures:

"I do have it. I am at work a the moment. These cards are left to me by my dad who died a month ago. Just want the memories gone for personal reasons."

• Options

<< <i>

4. nothing at all. >>

Funny that he isn't giving everyone the same answer to this request. Here is the reply I received from him when asking for additional pictures:

"I do have it. I am at work a the moment. These cards are left to me by my dad who died a month ago. Just want the memories gone for personal reasons." >>

Man, I forgot about the dead father line. Now I truely believe him. Shame on all of us in his time of sorrow.
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    This is awesome. I feel like I'm on a stakeout!
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

4. nothing at all. >>

***Funny that he isn't giving everyone the same answer to this request.*** Here is the reply I received from him when asking for additional pictures:

"I do have it. I am at work a the moment. These cards are left to me by my dad who died a month ago. Just want the memories gone for personal reasons." >>

I don't think you realize that the stuff in bold above was written by 72skywalker, and not by the seller.
  • Options

Yeah, didn't read that carefully but noticed right after the post. Either way, I don't think there's an actual dead father involved with this item.

• Options

<< <i>image

My gut feeling is that he's going to send a fake invoice that will be an attempt to phish my PayPal account information. If he sends a scan of the card as requested, I will go to eBay and click to pay through PayPal via American Express to add a layer of protection. Now we wait until he gets home from work or wherever he is. >>

Did you ever get the picture and was his invoice fake?
  • Options
    I received the PayPal invoice which was a real invoice sent to my e-mail address. She sent me this so that because "otherwise funds would be held for 30 days." This particular seller is a female who used her real name, e-mail address, as well as provided me with her cell phone number. I traced her number to verify her identity. I thought we would have the chance to learn something here to be on the lookout for but I was let down.

My first request for scans of the card arrived like this:

I didn't open the .doc files in case they were infected in some way.
    But great news! She has two more BGS 10 86-87 Fleer Jordans!

I asked her to just take a picture of the card with her cell phone.

Awesome. A picture of a picture.
    I called her out for her stupidity and trying to sell something she didn't have. I also pointed out to her that I could still see the logo that was superimposed on the picture.

If I had paid for the card she would have probably printed the picture and sent it to me.

• Options
    Good stuff Evan - thanks for taking one for the team and updating us

Al
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    <Obviously ebay is not for us>

Lmao. Truer words were never spoken. Look for the listing on Craigslist in 3, 2, 1....

• Options
    here's a good one.....a potential 5K to 6K card. already asked for a back scan and got a pic of the reverse in a penny sleeve. trying to figure out where the scan in the auction came from. Evan? you out there today? lol

1958 Topps 418 World Series Batting Foes PSA MINT 9

have at it fellas if you wanna get this guy revved up before the auction closes.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>here's a good one.....a potential 5K to 6K card. already asked for a back scan and got a pic of the reverse in a penny sleeve. trying to figure out where the scan in the auction came from. Evan? you out there today? lol

1958 Topps 418 World Series Batting Foes PSA MINT 9

have at it fellas if you wanna get this guy revved up before the auction closes. >>

Per the description, the seller apparently doesn't like the Mick or Hammerin' Hank:

"1957 tools Mickey mantle and hank Aaron"