Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Authenticating Unopened Wax Packs - HELP

Hello,

I am asking this question knowing there might not be a real good answer.

How does one with unopened wax packs get them authenticated in order to sell on ebay (or on the boards).

I understand the PSA restriction on grading packs with loose gum. I also (think I) understand BBCE not being able to authenticate due to a contract with PSA.

I will never buy anything unopened anymore if it's not authenticated nor do I want to sell anything that's not authenticated (as none of us can guarantee what we bought on ebay years ago is actually legit)

Is there a magic answer? Please tell me I have missed something that has been discussed here. If ya'll don't know a solution then I am not sure there is one.

HELP!

Comments

• Options
    No ideas? No answers?
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As you said, there is no good answer. This might be a good time for someone that knows what to look for with the vintage unopened packs to start a small business authenticating the packs. Since PSA is so limited in the packs that they will grade an authentication service would probably do pretty good. What kind of packs do you have that you have questions about?
    James
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    If you purchase loose packs from BBCE, one of the best things you can do is save your invoice. While there is no guarantee to a buyer that you didn't switch out the packs, a good photo of the pack front and back, together with the invoice, will actually go a long way. And, if you get a few transactions under your belt, your reputation for selling quality product will grow.

As for buying anything that isn't authenticated, post photos here prior to purchasing and people will be glad to help out/offer their best guess as to authenticity. Sometimes if you adjust the color hues (making them look really crazy), you can more easily see the roller marks that are commonly found on packs going back to the mid-1970s (can be tricky to see them prior to this time).

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options

<< <i>As you said, there is no good answer. This might be a good time for someone that knows what to look for with the vintage unopened packs to start a small business authenticating the packs. Since PSA is so limited in the packs that they will grade an authentication service would probably do pretty good. What kind of packs do you have that you have questions about?
    James >>

James
    Thanks for the reply bud. My unopened is not unlike anyone else's....70s baseball, football and hockey. Some 76 fb packs bought off eBay 5-6 years ago. Some 79 hockey, the really good years. BUT who really knows if these things are good or not.

Had a bunch of 72 bob packs that a trusted board member said we're bad. But when I opened a few I found a Fisk rookie, Morgan, Carlton, rose, etc. they didn't look mint but could have been corner wear from being banged around. So in all honesty does anyone really know?

James, you know what I just had happen with the unopened boxes. I have the exact same dilemma with individual packs.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick,

Those 72 packs were unquestionably bad and resealed. Several of the packs were so tightly sealed with an iron that you"d need a knife to open them. The gum was all different sizes and the one pack I recall I did open for you contained cards that were so worn, they'd have graded VG-EX at best. Also, topps did not produce all series packs in 1972. It is not uncommon for resealers to include star cards with corner wear in an occasional pack so that if you to open the packs, you'd think that maybe the packs weren't bad after all. But I guarantee you none of those cards would grade higher than EX-MT at best and that none of the packs would pass authentication with Steve.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Yeah Tim, I am sure you're 110% correct. The Fisk looked really clean though. In that same pack I had a nice Morgan. Plus you saw the cards I pulled from that 1 other pack ..... Rose, brooks, etc. Certainly not pack fresh as you know.

Still got about 15 more packs and I just wonder. You know.

I need to send you picks of the Fisk and Morgan. If resealers are going to put some nice cards back in why put in a nice Fisk?

We ALL need to figure out how to find out if our packs are legit. At least I do

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a NM 7 Fisk helps the buyer believe the packs are legit, that is worth it to the resealer. The Fisk may very well be trimmed, too. Some reseals are tougher to spot but that group of 72 packs was not from that category as they were clearly homemade. I recall the pack I did open had a stick of gum from the late 80s inside and a mish mash of OC EX commons from various series, so at least you got a few raw star cards.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Well said Tim

Never thought of the trimming idea. THAT makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for the continued insight
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    huh. this is interesting about those '72 packs. i once purchased a '72T pack off eBay which fits Rick's description to a tee. seller included a nice looking, but trimmed Rollie Fingers in the pack, which was also perfectly number sequenced and had mismatched pieces of gum. oops.

seller claimed he'd been duped by another seller and offered to make it right by sending me a '72 Topps Poster Pack instead. after checking his feedback history and seeing that his other buyers were quite happy with the products they were receiving, i went ahead and accepted the poster pack. still have it.