Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Veteran selling his coin collection to get by because of VA screw up.

ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
It would be nice if he could keep it. What ever the collection is it means something to him. Maybe someone here would be able to help by making sure he gets a fair price for it
if there's a way to get in contact with him.

This is no way to treat a veteran. image

VA cuts D-Day veteran's benefits to $6 a month

An 89-year-old Navy veteran who came under heavy enemy fire aboard a landing craft on D-Day is accusing bureaucrats at the Department of Veterans Affairs of slashing his veterans benefits to $6 a month from $300.

Joseph Teson, of Watervliet, N.Y., told WNYT-TV he used to get $300 a month in benefits, about a third of which he would donate to veterans groups. He said the VA cut his benefits to recoup an overpayment of more than $3,000 that he never even noticed.

"I don't know how they did it, but they did it," Teson, 89, told the Albany station Saturday. "I didn't say nothing. I just let it go. Everybody else complained but me."

Teson was notified of the overpayment last year. The VA sent him a letter saying his "entitlement to compensation and pension benefits had changed," resulting in an overpayment to him of $3,090.

"Since you are currently receiving VA benefits, we plan to withhold those benefits until the amount you were overpaid is recouped," the VA said in a letter dated June 9, 2013, according to WNYT.

The letter had a toll-free number, which Teson’s daughter Tami called. No one at the VA could tell her how and why the overpayment happened. She said her father never realized he was getting more than he should have, WNYT reported.

Teson gave the station bank statements, which showed the single-digit deposits.

“They’re taking money from my father, and he deserves it,” said Teson’s son Michael. “He fought in the war for it. They're giving him $6 per month. He can't live on that."

Teson is still getting by on a pension, Social Security and handouts from his children. He is also selling his coin collection to make up for the shortfall.

"We are presently looking into the specifics of Mr. Teson’s case and will be reaching out to him to clarify the details of his changes in benefits," a VA spokeswoman told the station Saturday in an e-mail. "Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention."

----------------------------------------------------

Sure, they're looking into it. The way our government works he'll be long gone by the time they straighten it out. image

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's recipient's responsibility to make sure amount received is correct.Family needs to do the right thing by stepping up to the plate to help the veteran financially until the debt is settled.Selling coin collection will bring veteran some money.He's fortunate to have this resource.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    It's NOT ok to screw him into the poor house over $3K. Is the $6 a month some sort of sick joke? The VA is indisputably out of line by taking that much per month. They couldn't
    work out a payment plan for him? I'll bet my house the person making these decisions was never in the service or has any respect for veterans.

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    If you like your coin collection, you can keep your coin collection.....

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Terrible! Yet many people on welfare keep milking the system.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    ZugZug Posts: 215 ✭✭
    I also find this a horrible way to treat the veteran that helped our great country remain free.

Something that does not make sense to me is that it says in the article his daughter contacted the VA., and was told they did not know how or why the overpayment happened.

If they do not know how or why, how is it that they know he was payed too much, and by how much?

I think this needs to be looked at more closely, and a reasonable repayment option found if needed.

Jeff
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deleted, after additional information came out. hope everyone has a good day, and remembers a veteran.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

This sounds like a twist on that IRS story a few months ago. Peoples tax returns were being seized to recover debts of their parents from the 1970's. Not only were the debts not theirs but the debts were only estimates without hard numbers.

There is another VA scandal at the moment which is a lot worse. Veterans dying while waiting for treatment while the VA bureaucrats cover up the delays.

A short list of VA scandals over the years
  • Options
    pcunixpcunix Posts: 620
    I get really angered by shabby treatment of our veterans.

I'm not a vet - very bad eyesight and was exempt because of children in 1967 anyway. I'm generally against these stupid wars we've gotten ourselves into but whether we should have been fighting or not, the fact is that men and women made great sacrifices to serve their country and it is criminal that we put out ribbons and decals that say we support our troops but the minute they come home they are just a burden and a target for cuts to prevent taxes from going up.

Veterans deserve better. I'm retired now and my income is not what it used to be, so we've given up most charitable contributions but have never stopped giving to the DAV and hope that I never will.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Despicable and typical.

How about this?

You always hear that social security will have to be cut but you never hear that welfare will have to be cut.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    pcunixpcunix Posts: 620

<< <i>Despicable and typical.

How about this?

You always hear that social security will have to be cut but you never hear that welfare will have to be cut. >>

Oh, of course you do and many programs already have been cut.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what the whole story is. Color me skeptical, at least a little.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My dad is a Vietnam era veteran and I can well remember all the nonsense my mother had to deal with during the early 1970s with VA hospitals - I can just imagine how bad it is now.

Seriously - Eff the way the government treats veterans. The citizens of this great nation need to stand up for those that have served and say we are not going to tolerate this BS. I love how the VA can go after an overpayment of $3000 while as noted many veterans have died waiting for medical treatment. I believe the time has come to eliminate the VA and just give veterans regular health insurance that can be used at any medical facility.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regardless of if the government did overpay him, how they handled this is horrible.

You'd think the Government would want Veteran's treated extremely well, to entice people to enlist in the future. And what annoys me most about a story like this (89 year old veteran, $6 a month check), while this is going on, the Government is wasting money debating an official snack of New York etc.

Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One might consider that the only source of this story has a political agenda.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone knows how to contact him, we'd give him full hammer plus our full buyer's fee if he auctioned through our firm.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My dad is a Vietnam era veteran and I can well remember all the nonsense my mother had to deal with during the early 1970s with VA hospitals - I can just imagine how bad it is now.

Seriously - Eff the way the government treats veterans. The citizens of this great nation need to stand up for those that have served and say we are not going to tolerate this BS. I love how the VA can go after an overpayment of $3000 while as noted many veterans have died waiting for medical treatment. I believe the time has come to eliminate the VA and just give veterans regular health insurance that can be used at any medical facility. >>

If disabled veterans were just treated in normal hospitals maybe people would start to notice how many there actually are. That might bring unwelcome attention to the reasons for all these wars.
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭

<< <i>If you like your coin collection, you can keep your coin collection..... >>

imageimageimage
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If anyone knows how to contact him, we'd give him full hammer plus our full buyer's fee if he auctioned through our firm.

- Ian >>

Joseph R Teson Sr.
    4 Eastview Dr Apt 12
    Watervliet, NY 12189-1674
    518-274-5136
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One might consider that the only source of this story has a political agenda.

image >>

You may also want to consider that those not reporting this, or the myriad of scandals in D.C., also have a political agenda. image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being a Vet does not mean Your automatically eligible for benefits. Being a wounded or disabled Veteran does. Those that gave deserve to get back.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And if the system weren't overwhelmed by all the 20-somethings who are now on full disability for 'sleep disorders' leading to
    'lack of consortium' and whatnot, there'd be more money and time to deal effectively with the real disabled veterans.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Terrible! Yet many people on welfare keep milking the system. >>

Who are the many people???

Far more are facing horrible choices and hardships than the 1 in 10,000 who somehow gets benefits they should forgoe.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>

Far more are facing horrible choices and hardships than the 1 in 10,000 who somehow gets benefits they should forgoe. >>

As a Vet I do have concern for my peers and the integrity of the system but question the effeteness of debating politics on a coin forum. Also I think the core of the story is a man stayed quite while receiving overpayments and then has to sell possessions when it came time to pay it back. I know the sec I have looked at every check I have ever received if it was light or heavy. I don't think this issue is so much about the VA and soldiers as it is about integrity.
  • Options
    Of course the source was Fox news! Here's what Fox News failed to say about this story. Joseph Teson was receiving Benefits at the married with spouse rate. When he was no longer legally married it was his responsibility to notify the VA of his status change. He didn't and the VA (Tax Payers) for years were overpaying him.
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    Where does he live geographically?
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Where does he live geographically? >>

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    near Albany
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    But but but - Fair! Benghazi! I meant Balanced!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One might consider that the only source of this story has a political agenda.
    image >>

Sure does. And the more light than can be brought to the VA's shortcomings of our vets, the better. Sorry Mr. Obama and General Shinseki if this brings additional heat to your Memorial day weekends.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One might consider that the only source of this story has a political agenda. >>

All mainstream media has a political agenda. I don't mind them picking which stories they consider news as long as they publish the truth. It's up each of us to know their political leaning. My outrage is the VA's calculation of monthly payback. Six dollars a month to a person thrown into a hail of enemy fire is appalling.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>One might consider that the only source of this story has a political agenda. >>

All mainstream media has a political agenda. I don't mind them picking which stories they consider news as long as they publish the truth. It's up each of us to know their political leaning. My outrage is the VA's calculation of monthly payback. Six dollars a month to a person thrown into a hail of enemy fire is appalling. >>

In this case they could have been a little more forgiving. I remember a co-worker getting a tax refund that he wasn't entitled to. When the IRS realized their error they took his whole paycheck [or most of it] until it was repaid in full.
  • Options

<< <i>Of course the source was Fox news! Here's what Fox News failed to say about this story. Joseph Teson was receiving Benefits at the married with spouse rate. When he was no longer legally married it was his responsibility to notify the VA of his status change. He didn't and the VA (Tax Payers) for years were overpaying him. >>

So much for fair and balanced, eh?
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    If he was overpaid he should have to give it back but not at the rate of 294 dollars a month.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    That's a lot of contact info. IDK.

Eric
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Of course the source was Fox news! Here's what Fox News failed to say about this story. Joseph Teson was receiving Benefits at the married with spouse rate. When he was no longer legally married it was his responsibility to notify the VA of his status change. He didn't and the VA (Tax Payers) for years were overpaying him. >>

So much for fair and balanced, eh? >>

+1
    Righteousness without facts and/or selective reporting.
    Another effort to gin up anger (somewhat successfully as evidenced in this thread).
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a sad state of affairs when a country, takes better care of its welfare people than the veterans that served this country.

A proven fact is the VA let 40 + veterans die waiting for care, that was with held.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Despicable and typical.

How about this?

You always hear that social security will have to be cut but you never hear that welfare will have to be cut. >>

Oh, of course you do and many programs already have been cut. >>

No programs have been cut. Only the increase.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If he was overpaid he should have to give it back but not at the rate of 294 dollars a month. >>

What the IRS does when someone owes them money and can't pay it all at once and said person requests a payment plan, the IRS obtains financial information from the individual and works out a payment plan. I've seen quite a few of these arrangements. The individual says what he can afford to pay monthly, and based on the financial info submitted, the IRS usually accepts the monthly payment arrangement.

I don't see why the VA can't do the same.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

Do you have a link? I found the story on several websites but none that mention what you say. Only this:

<< <i>For now, Teson and his wife of 67 years, Rose, are getting by on pension and social security benefits, and help from their children. Teson is also selling his coin collection to make up the shortfall. - See more at: http://www.teaparty.org/va-cuts-d-day-veterans-benefits-6-month-42755/#sthash.MR3Yrsil.dpuf >>

I can't find anything about them getting divorced during those 67 years.

• Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>It is a sad state of affairs when a country, takes better care of its welfare people than the veterans that served this country.

A proven fact is the VA let 40 + veterans die waiting for care, that was with held. >>

Just saying but the country lets plenty of poor people die every year too. And now that you mention it; the terms veterans and welfare recipient are not mutually exclusive terms during and post service. In fact many military qualify and accept food stamps while on active duty. Not because they are under paid per-se but more the way their pay is calculated/intentionally where the majority of pay doesn't count as pay but as an allowance which helps with taxes and qualifying for stuff like food stamps. You get an avg solider (e-4) who on paper makes 25k a year but is bringing home closer to 50k civ comparable with a fam after housing, food, free medical and clothing rations but gets to qualify with the 25k base pay calculated with dependents.

Are troops like that one of your heroes or one if the freeloaders? My point in all of this is that troops are human and there are good ones and bad ones and while the country owes a debt of honor for sure, the cost of supporting the millions of vets is a tough pill to swallow for the people who have to pay it and the issues aren't black and white.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If he was overpaid he should have to give it back but not at the rate of 294 dollars a month. >>

What the IRS does when someone owes them money and can't pay it all at once and said person requests a payment plan, the IRS obtains financial information from the individual and works out a payment plan. I've seen quite a few of these arrangements. The individual says what he can afford to pay monthly, and based on the financial info submitted, the IRS usually accepts the monthly payment arrangement.

I don't see why the VA can't do the same. >>

I'm guessing that Mr. Teson was unaware that he owed the VA money until they took it from his monthly payment.
  • Options

<< <i>

Do you have a link? I found the story on several websites but none that mention what you say. Only this:

<< <i>For now, Teson and his wife of 67 years, Rose, are getting by on pension and social security benefits, and help from their children. Teson is also selling his coin collection to make up the shortfall. - See more at: http://www.teaparty.org/va-cuts-d-day-veterans-benefits-6-month-42755/#sthash.MR3Yrsil.dpuf >>

I can't find anything about them getting divorced during those 67 years. >>

Did she pass away maybe?
  • Options
    AND:

<< <i>He and Rose have seven children, 19 grandchildren, and 18 great-grandchildren. One grandson, Jay, served in the Navy. A great-grandson, Nicholas, is currently
    serving in the Navy. >>

This is the source of the original article, which for the FOX haters, happens to be an NBC affiliate: NBC / WNYT Story

Nothing about death or divorce that I can find. She appears to be alive & married to him........

codamyer, I'd like to see what you found that backs up your post.

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

All mainstream media has a political agenda. I don't mind them picking which stories they consider news as long as they publish the truth. It's up each of us to know their political leaning. My outrage is the VA's calculation of monthly payback. Six dollars a month to a person thrown into a hail of enemy fire is appalling. >>

In this case they could have been a little more forgiving. I remember a co-worker getting a tax refund that he wasn't entitled to. When the IRS realized their error they took his whole paycheck [or most of it] until it was repaid in full. >>

Not a surprise.

In my case, nearly 20 years ago, I was getting a divorce and it was unclear who claimed the kids. I used a copy of the previous year tax return as a base on the PC and some Turbo Timmy Tax software. So I took off the children by clearing the exemptions, but the program apparently still sent the SSN's to the IRS. Well the IRS added the exemptions back in and turned my 0 refund into a $3K refund and sent me a nice letter saying I had made a mistake. I didn't quite know what to do and neither did my divorce attorney, so I stuck the check in drawer, uncashed and forget about it. 9 months later the IRS does an audit of my return, and with an angry letter decides I owned alternative minimum tax because I have too many deductions and wants 1500 back plus I was assessed a 200 "penalty" for incorrectly calculating my return. I got the check out of the drawer and never looked back.....

So I got lucky. You cannot argue with idiots.

I don't think the IRS survives the coming financial reset. They are mindless tyranny and basically need to be destroyed.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If people are still serious about helping this guy, I can try to contact his family tomorrow.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Well after sitting through the video on the WNYT website (an NBC affiliate), I can see his elderly wife of 67 years is most definitely alive. Also after scouring around the internet
    there is nothing that references them as "no longer legally married".

It looks like we have a FOX news hater here that wanted to derail the thread.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It is a sad state of affairs when a country, takes better care of its welfare people than the veterans that served this country.

A proven fact is the VA let 40 + veterans die waiting for care, that was with held. >>

Just saying but the country lets plenty of poor people die every year too. And now that you mention it the terms veterans and welfare recipient are not mutually exclusive terms during and post service. In fact many military qualify and accept food stamps while on active duty. Not because they are under paid per-se but more the way their pay is calculated/intentionally where the majority of pay doesn't count as pay but as an allowance which helps with taxes and qualifying for stuff like food stamps. You get an avg solider (e-4) who on paper makes 25k a year but is bringing home closer to 50k civ comparable with a fam after housing, food, free medical and clothing rations but gets to qualify with the 25k base pay calculated with dependents.

Is troops like that one of your heroes or freeloaders? My point in all of this is troops are human and there are good ones and bad ones and while the country owes a debt of honor for sure but the cost of support to the millions of vet is a tough pill to swallow for the people who have to pay it and the issues aren't black and white. >>

Well put.
    You're talking about The Big Picture ... many here would rather ignore it. Small is almost always easier.
  • Options
    EthanEthan Posts: 315 ✭✭

<< <i>If you like your coin collection, you can keep your coin collection..... >>

That nailed it...
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

“I want you to remember that no * ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb * die for his country”
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Far more are facing horrible choices and hardships than the 1 in 10,000 who somehow gets benefits they should forgoe. >>

I guess you have never been to Newark, NJ.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file