Home Precious Metals
Options

USDA warns of sticker shock on U.S. beef as grilling season starts

ksammutksammut Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭
American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    The Fed Chair says that we are under the 2% annual target on consumer inflation.

As a good American, I must believe her. image
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess we shouldn't have killed off all those cows 2 years ago. Or maybe its Bernankes fault.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>Or maybe its Bernankes fault. >>

The only inflation that Bernanke is concerned about now is in his bank account which is quickly swelling from Ben's $250,000 a pop evenings with his Wall Street pals.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Venison burgers for me, my trusty .308 Winchester has served me well.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    TV prices keep falling. So many confuse.
  • Options

<< <i>

The only inflation that Bernanke is concerned about now is in his bank account which is quickly swelling from Ben's $250,000 a pop evenings with his Wall Street pals. >>

I'm also jealous.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

The only inflation that Bernanke is concerned about now is in his bank account which is quickly swelling from Ben's $250,000 a pop evenings with his Wall Street pals. >>

I'm also jealous. >>

I wonder how many here have a skill or other connection that someone would pay $250K for.
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>TV prices keep falling. So many confuse. >>

This is a good news/bad news thread.
    I need a new TV so I', glad to hear TV's are going down....

...but I LOVE steak so this saddens me.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just one of a hundred reasons to stop eating meat.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

<< <i>Just one of a hundred reasons to stop eating meat. >>

Still cheaper than the raw organic Almonds!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'm also jealous. >>

Not me, I prefer to earn my money.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That should not come as a surprise to anyone. Ranchers had to trim their herds a couple of years ago due to major drought conditions, at which point most analyst's predicted a rise in the price of beef "down the road."
    BTW, I had no idea, that Ben had so much control over the weather. image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if Bennie boy owns any of the cattle that are in the big feedlots in Texas, Oklahoma, etc.
  • Options
    bosco5041bosco5041 Posts: 1,303
    I retired last year and put out my first garden in years this year. That is going to be my second hobby behind coins. That should ease the pain.
  • Options

Eat More Chicken...!

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    Or P I G Hog...!

Keep Slacken...

Happy Memorial Day All...!
    My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just had some ribs myself. Unfortunately, the news says the price of pork is on its way up also. Also the price of coffee.

How am I going to survive??
    ----- kj
  • Options
    Eat more TVP(textured vegetable protein). Mmmm...tastes like chicken!
    Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Options
    speaking of chicken - it constantly amazes me that no matter where one goes in the western world, you can almost always find for sale a fully grown, gutted, feathered, shipped, slow-cooked, tasty-as-heck rotisserie chicken available for under ten bucks.

and generally speaking, food is more accessible, more diverse and cheaper in relation to income than any time in human history.
  • Options

<< <i>generally speaking, food is more accessible, more diverse and cheaper in relation to income than any time in human history. >>

Much of the cost of the cheap food arrives later. Chemical fertilizers and pesticides exact a toll on the human body. Add the more recent practices of food irradiation and genetic engineering and the end cost of our groceries may be astronomical.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That should not come as a surprise to anyone. Ranchers had to trim their herds a couple of years ago due to major drought conditions, at which point most analyst's predicted a rise in the price of beef "down the road."
    BTW, I had no idea, that Ben had so much control over the weather. image >>

exactly. OPA remembers as well as I do that this was discussed here months ago. Not "inflation", just the market adjusting itself.

Prices rise to channel the goods to those who value them most, so they don't spoil in storage, nor run out for those who want to pay up.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>exactly. OPA remembers as well as I do that this was discussed here months ago. Not "inflation", just the market adjusting itself. >>

So not an itty, bitty amount of that $4,000,000,000,000 in fresh Benny Bucks could have found their way into the commodities market.

Sort of like taking a shot of penicillin for an ear infection and expecting it to head from your butt to your ear uninterrupted.

Of course we are experiencing spillover from the reckless and unabated creation of currency.

Enjoy the $12 steak now as it will be $15 in a year.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Started raising my own livestock years ago for this very reason. Lamb, chicken, cattle - doesn't get any better than that. Grass fed, free range, hormone free! I have so many fresh eggs every day my family can't keep up eating them. I rarely cut the grass around my property because the livestock are rotationally grazing around my house with portable solar electric fencing and the chickens free range and clean up after them. My neighbor is a farmer who supplies me with all the hay I need for next to nothing as long as we help him during hay season. Back to basics!
  • Options
    maybe citizens ought to vote themselves an "affordable filet mignon act"

• Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Just paid $18 for 2 decent Ribeyes and $4.99 for a bundle of asparagus, which is one veggie I do not grow myself :-)
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>maybe citizens ought to vote themselves an "affordable filet mignon act" >>

...where you can keep your butcher...
  • Options

<< <i>Much of the cost of the cheap food arrives later. Chemical fertilizers and pesticides exact a toll on the human body. Add the more recent practices of food irradiation and genetic engineering and the end cost of our groceries may be astronomical. >>

I see your GMO fear-mongering and raise you the contemporary human lifespan. That said, if you want to start hating on Monsanto for their anti-farmer bullying, I'm right there with you.

If one is looking to explain future macro shocks of food prices, climate change is the elephant to Bernake's pea.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Its only going to get hotter. Tuesday is Soylent Green Day.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My grocery store has Rib Eyes on sale for 40% off reg. price. Gonna take advantage of that sale.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If one is looking to explain future macro shocks of food prices, climate change is the elephant to Bernake's pea. >>

Climates change, it's what they do. Your only out is to move near the equator.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If one is looking to explain future macro shocks of food prices, climate change is the elephant to Bernake's pea. >>

Climates change, it's what they do. Your only out is to move near the equator. >>

Why is it that most poverty and disease and war is centered around the equator?

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Climates change, it's what they do. Your only out is to move near the equator. >>

Why is it that most poverty and disease and war is centered around the equator? >>

I only guaranteed the stability of the weather. image

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

Why is it that most poverty and disease and war is centered around the equator? >>

I only guaranteed the stability of the weather. image >>

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Because it's hot & humid, and hot & humid is annoying.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Why is it that most poverty and disease and war is centered around the equator?"

'Cause that's where poor, sick people go to hang out.
  • Options
    104 degrees here, can do the grilling on the sidewalk.
  • Options

<< <i>104 degrees here, can do the grilling on the sidewalk. >>

that's hot.

• Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>104 degrees here, can do the grilling on the sidewalk. >>

that's hot. >>

It's not hot yet, only June 1st.......
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The further south you go, the more things want to eat you.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    It's always a wonder why folks decide to live where they live.

• Options
    must be the "package deal", it's the only explanation that makes any sense.

• Options

<< <i>It's always a wonder why folks decide to live where they live. >>

I kind of like the heat. Early morning in Tucson is heaven and things get pleasant after the sun sets at 7:30.

Not quite as nice up in Phoenix though where the evening lows can be 90.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They could just puff it up with even more sodium tripolyphosphate and water. Add some
    slautherhose sweepings to it and it will stretch it out so far people won't even realize there's
    been 20 or 30% food inflation in just the last couple of years. Someday they'll figure out how
    to package up the "moo" and sell that to is for $2.50 a pound as well.

I no longerhave any confidence in the FDA or USDA since they appear to have been acquired in
    a hostile takeover.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>They could just puff it up with even more sodium tripolyphosphate and water >>

Less fat per ounce, in Janet Yellen's eyes that would add value to the product and be deflationary.

ignorance is bliss.....at least for a while.