Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Heritage Weekly Pickup - Scarce 2 Gulden

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
This super scarce Habsburg commemorative surfaced on Heritage's weekly auction and I decided to jump on it. Translated from a German catalog it is described as "Silver commemorative coin from the age of Austrian-Hungarian empire ruled by Franz Josef I. Issued in 1885, these silver two-guldens are very rare and they are the dream-coins in the world of numismatics."

I consider this a "find" for my theme collection. The first 1868 Festival 2 Gulden is commonly found, yet not this one. Oddly, I once owned this medallic issue which was quite worn and ended up selling it as my collection evolved. I sort of regretted it as I learned more about this issue. This unexpected pickup makes up for that. If anyone can dig up the mintage, I would greatly appreciate it. My assumption is that it is quite low.

1885. Emperor Franz Joseph I (1848-1916) 2 Gulden. Vienna Mint.
2nd Austrian Federal Marksmanship Shooting Festival at Innsbruck.
Design: A. Scharff and A. Busson
Obv: Emperor Maximilian I crowned as the winner in Tyrolean hunting dress, crossbow on the right shoulder.
Rev: Coat of arms, double eagle.
Horsky-6309. Peltzer-1879
36mm. 22.28g
NGC MS-66

Comments

• trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Sweet! The only 2 Gulden I own is the common 1855 Bavaria 2 Gulden shown below (mine is not even as good as the one shown). Love the design and like coins with 55 in the year. Carl Friedrich Voigt who engraved the coin apprenticed under Benedetto Pistrucci.

trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I mean, really Zohar. Does Heritage just have a list of awesome stuff and they just give it to you? I don't even collect these coins and I am jealous. Even though I did get the world taler book like you suggested as a gift from my Mom. So I technically DO own copies of some talers.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding- I just do not recall seeing such a terrific example. Congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharp.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the sharp detail. That is likely one of the most modern pieces in your collection.
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes the later Franz Joseph era which spanned the longest 1848-1916.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I mean, really Zohar. Does Heritage just have a list of awesome stuff and they just give it to you? I don't even collect these coins and I am jealous. Even though I did get the world taler book like you suggested as a gift from my Mom. So I technically DO own copies of some talers. >>

No Nick, Z. is clever enough to look into Heritage's weekly auctions (I do too) where sometimes you find jewels for much smaller amounts than in their over hyped big auctions. Remnants of famous collections (as in the Ruth Hill banknote collection where I too was lucky to win a lot), other stuff, HA.com has a tremendous stock of their own coins or consignments that even if it were a daily auction they'd still manage to make a great auction of it, both in coins and currency. Patience brother, piece. image

Superb Z. Definitely "THE find". image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what a super pick up - love it too - fantastic strike - and ye really random for you Z image
    Thanks guys. If anyone can use their forensic skills to find the mintage figure that would be very helpful. I assume in hundreds yet I may be off.
  • CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Now I know who outbid me. image

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
    Josh - coming from you that is validation of the coin/medal's appeal!

• jgennjgenn Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Three of these came up for sale in the Heritage and one in the Stacks 2017 January NYINC internet auctions. I snagged the MS 64. Did anyone find out the mintage?

edited January 19, 2017 9:45PM

I saw it and I believe it used to be my medal before I bought the other. Lovely design and congrats on the pickup. I have not found any mintage figures, yet these do show up from time to time.

Mine