Home Precious Metals
Options

OT - Best Credit Card

Sorry for the OT but you guys are my best resource in the US...

What is, in your opinion, the best credit card for rewards/cashback/etc...?
We had one with miles to fly back to Italy but we feel it is not worth it anymore the $75/year.

Thanks in advance!
The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009

Comments

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have Chase Freedom and Bank of America cash rewards cards. With the B of A card if you let points accumulate to 300 you get an extra $75 upon redemption.

Back when I got my Chase card they offered $300 if you spent $500 within 3 months. Did that in one day. Got a $300 check too. They are probably still in the red on that one. Nowadays the reward is $100.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe, most of the major banks i/e Chase or BOFA have a non fee reward cards, rebating anywhere from 1 to 2% of purchases. I own one of each. I use the BOFA card for my gas purchases (2% rebate) and my Chase for everything else 1% - ...dining is 2%. Capital One has a card that gives you unlimited cb of 1 1/2% for all purchases( I do not own one). Most Credit Unions have cb cards, but historically, their lines of credit are much lower.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    all pretty much the same. I prefer the Chase MC because it's alway 1% with quarterly specials for 5% at select types of merchants. Gotta watch those specials, most of them have a cap for the quarter, sorta like ebay bucks.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the AMEX. Costco and Fidelity have cashback AMEX cards. No yearly fee for the one I have. Different levels of cashback for things (Fidelity is 2% on everything, Costco is tiered).
    Not every place takes AMEX so I have a Alaska Airlines BofA Visa. They keep reducing the benefits though, so unless you really use AlaskaAir, or one of their partners, it probably isn't the best. I use my AMEX for 99% of my purchases though.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like my Capital One card, 1.5% cash back on anything and everything and there is no limit to how much you can earn also it adds up like a savings account until you decide to take the cash or put it towards your bill.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best credit card is cash for me.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>The best credit card is cash for me. >>

I agree, my wife complains that I always bring too much cash...but nowadays you can't do without a CC.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The best credit card is cash for me. >>

I agree, my wife complains that I always bring too much cash...but nowadays you can't do without a CC. >>

Agree, you should always have a stash readily available for emergency, but why use that stash when you can delay your cost by using a cc?
  • Options
    freechancefreechance Posts: 380 ✭✭
    I mostly use a US bank cash rewards visa- 3.75% back on gas, cellular , office supply and 1.25% on everything else. no limits and no annual fee
    I use a discover for the quarterly 5% cash back but it is limited to $75 back per quarter so I dont use it often. no annual fee
    Chase visa 3% back on dining out, gas, and home improvement. 1% on everything else. no annual fee
    I pay them off when due so i pay no interest or any other fees and I typically get between $800-$1300 cash back per year.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cash is king
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>cash is king >>

You tried to check into a hotel with cash?
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    I dont know call me crazy but why the hell not use a credit card that earns you cash back and pay it off at the end of the month that way you dont pay interest? Your credit score goes North, if you lose the card your covered, if your card gets used frauduently your covered as well. Seems pretty logical to me, I make my money work for me getting interest while I gain money by using my card, pretty easy decision for me.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huge fan of my Paypal Platinum MasterCard, its a points card. Lots of special offers, discounts from certain vendors, 4X points of food/gas(for certain periods).

Last gas offer I had was: Spend $75 on gas earn $25 credit. Its a no brainer.

CC's are great when used responsibly.

Another bonus is its linked directly to my paypal account so paying the bill is easy as logging into paypal.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    American Express Blue Cash. There are two different versions, the Everyday and Preferred. (I'm actually in a legacy version that's no longer open to new members; but the new versions are decent too).

For the Everyday version, no annual fee and:
    3% cash back at US supermarkets, on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%)
    2% cash back at US gas stations and select US department stores
    1% cash back on other purchases

For the Preferred version, a $75 annual fee and:
    6% cash back at US supermarkets, up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%)
    3% cash back at US gas stations and 3% cash back at select US department stores
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like my Capital One Spark Business card's 1.5% cashback for all purchases.

AAA Bank of America gets me 3% back on all gasoline purchases, plus an average of $75 per year to apply to my auto club membership.

I'm dumping Discover after 25 years as they apply too many restrictions to their 1% cashback.

My other cards will be cancelled by July 1st so that I can attract more $250 to $400 introductory cashback deals in September/October.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Cash, cash is the best credit card, and always will be.
    If a business can't take a reservation without it having to be done with a cc, I don't stay there then. Me saying I will be there when I say I will be there use to be good enough, why isn't it for some now?
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    Cash only is also the only option for someone with questionable credit.image
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Fidelity has a MC that pays 2% cash on everything and deposits right to a 529 account.
  • Options
    If you're paying with cash, I don't give a dam about your credit.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Fidelity has a MC that pays 2% cash on everything and deposits right to a 529 account. >>

They also offer an AmEx card that does that.
    It really adds up over the years.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Credit is meant to be a back up if you don't have the cash, so most people who do cash only have managed their cash holdings very well, live very well, and don't need credit except for substantial unexpected incidents that need to be paid for quickly.

My my, how we have lost what the purpose of credit is to be used for and clearly is very telling why Americans are so deeply and eternally in debt.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    Thanks to everyone for all your pieces of advice! I will do some homework and then decide where to go.

Back to the cash-is-king topic, I agree and really love it but "your" country has a credit score system that forced me to use CC's since I moved here to build my history.
    I also leave in a high populated area and don't like going around with thousands dollars in my pockets... Credit cards are convenient in many situations.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Credit is meant to be a back up if you don't have the cash, so most people who do cash only have managed their cash holdings very well, live very well, and don't need credit except for substantial unexpected incidents that need to be paid for quickly.

My my, how we have lost what the purpose of credit is to be used for and clearly is very telling why Americans are so deeply and eternally in debt. >>

Well said my friend.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks to everyone for all your pieces of advice! I will do some homework and then decide where to go.

Back to the cash-is-king topic, I agree and really love it but "your" country has a credit score system that forced me to use CC's since I moved here to build my history.
    I also leave in a high populated area and don't like going around with thousands dollars in my pockets... Credit cards are convenient in many situations. >>

Dont listen to the guys who say "Cash is king" there are talking out of their rear end, carrying hundreds or thousands of dollars around for purchases is foolish, and going to the ATM every time you need more cash is a pain in the rear end when you need to reload, also you cant rent a car or hotel or buy anything online with cash. You build solid credit by responsibly using your card, also if you do have a credit card and dont use it then the credit card company will take your card and your credit score will take a hit. As long as your responsible and pay your tab off monthly you will be fine, money belongs in the bank except a few bucks to have on you for small things.

EDIT: My disclaimer is if those that say "Cash is king" mean the use of a debit card then thats fine I will agree with that.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks to everyone for all your pieces of advice! I will do some homework and then decide where to go.

I also leave in a high populated area and don't like going around with thousands dollars in my pockets... Credit cards are convenient in many situations. >>

Dont listen to the guys who say "Cash is king" there are talking out of their rear end, carrying hundreds or thousands of dollars around for purchases is foolish, and going to the ATM every time you need more cash is a pain in the rear end when you need to reload, also you cant rent a car or hotel or buy anything online with cash. You build solid credit by responsibly using your card, also if you do have a credit card and dont use it then the credit card company will take your card and your credit score will take a hit. As long as your responsible and pay your tab off monthly you will be fine, money belongs in the bank except a few bucks to have on you for small things.

EDIT: My disclaimer is if those that say "Cash is king" mean the use of a debit card then thats fine I will agree with that. >>

Excellent answer.
  • Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭
    What 'cash' means can depend on the circumstances. I do pay for a lot of things with a credit card, then always pay it off every month. Financially, that is much equivalent to actual cash, since I don't pay interest, but more convenient. I'd still call myself pretty much 'straight cash'. I still like to use cold hard cash (as in FRN notes) for lunch and other miscellaneous things though. [And then there is the perspective, it ain't cash unless it is physical gold metal image]

For the OP, I use (and recommend) something with no annual fee, and ideally some cash back reward. (If you don't have much credit history you may have less choice.) I don't worry about any other rewards. Don't let it lull you into spending more than you would if you used hard cash (FRN notes), pay it off in full every month, and you build credit history while getting money floated for free, and you might get some cash back too! It is hard to complain about that deal.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>American Express Blue Cash. There are two different versions, the Everyday and Preferred. (I'm actually in a legacy version that's no longer open to new members; but the new versions are decent too).

For the Everyday version, no annual fee and:
    3% cash back at US supermarkets, on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%)
    2% cash back at US gas stations and select US department stores

For the Preferred version, a $75 annual fee and:
    6% cash back at US supermarkets, up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%)
    3% cash back at US gas stations and 3% cash back at select US department stores
    1% cash back on other purchases >>

I was tempted to get this card, until I read the fine print. If I recall, warehouse type stores, and walmart, etc., are not considered supermarkets and thus you do not earn the points for them (perhaps the 1%). Also, the fine print said some categories do not apply... but they did not say what the categories are. So if I purchased something from Apmex, not sure they would pay the 1%. Since the fine print seemed vague to me, I have not gotten this card.
    ----- kj
  • Options

<< <i>

EDIT: My disclaimer is if those that say "Cash is king" mean the use of a debit card then thats fine I will agree with that. >>

I disagree with debit card as well. I am with the "Use a CC but pay it off each month!".

If your debit card is compromised, you may lose much/all of your money in your account and that can cause issues (bill paying, bounced checks, etc), before it is resolved with your bank.
    A credit card that is compromised, as long as reportedly quickly when loss is noticed, leaves you out nothing...and nothing out of your bank account so you can continue to pay bills/mortgage/etc.

For those using tiered/capped cards....I have to wonder "WHY????". Like I mentioned earlier, my Fidelity AMEX is no annual fee AND 2% on EVERYTHING. My supermarket/gas purchases pale in comparison to other purchases so I make out much better getting 2% on everything than I would 6% on gas/groceries and 1% on major purchases.
    Buying a car soon (just put a deposit down since car is ultra popular and we had to order build from factory) and not only put deposit on CC but will put a good portion of down payment on it as well. More cash back that way image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Not sure these days [esp. since I don't have a debit card] but when the clerk asks debit or credit you should always choose credit as credit charges are easier to dispute than bank charges.
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Capital One Quicksilver. 1.5% cash back on every purchase, credited to account each month.

Also features no currency exchange fees when charging in foreign countries.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use my 2% cash back card whenever possible. If I pay cash instead, I am subsidizing other customers who use "rewards" cards. Using a credit card for small purchases saves time and the aggravation of making sure I always have enough cash on hand, as well as having to deal with pocket change. Using a credit card for large purchases means that I don't have to carry around large amounts of cash, and can often buy a decent lunch with the rebate I receive.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>If I pay cash instead, I am subsidizing other customers who use "rewards" cards. >>

Just curious if you [or anyone else here] have asked for/demanded a discount [and gotten it] when making a large purchase in cash?
  • Options
    Absolutely I get cash discounts. Most recently with my auto mechanic. For some reason, some businessmen appreciate cash, and so I either receive a discount or better service when I pay with cash.

Your results may vary.
  • Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    With larger purchases coming up I've been looking into a better credit card. Mine right now is a basic Capital One, 19% interest, with a credit score >790 x 3. I stupidly threw away a 5% APR offer a few months ago. Really should have taken that.

Want to put my garage on a CC, especially an 18 months no interest card.
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • Options

<< <i>Absolutely I get cash discounts. Most recently with my auto mechanic. For some reason, some businessmen appreciate cash, and so I either receive a discount or better service when I pay with cash.

Your results may vary. >>

I was thinking along the order of buying a big screen TV from say Best Buy. You know they build CC charges into the price so I wonder if they would give you a discount for cash.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Absolutely I get cash discounts. Most recently with my auto mechanic. For some reason, some businessmen appreciate cash, and so I either receive a discount or better service when I pay with cash.

Your results may vary. >>

I was thinking along the order of buying a big screen TV from say Best Buy. You know they build CC charges into the price so I wonder if they would give you a discount for cash. >>

Big stores (chain stores), not so much.
    Smaller businesses, yes.

Doctors' offices, mechanics, legit contractors/painters, etc.....I've gotten full invoice, minus cash discount, when offering. Receipts and all, so not under the table.

• Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭
    The Chase Freedom is the best I've seen for flexibility of using points (can be applied to statement balance in incremental amounts).

Different Amex cards are OK, but then some merchants dont accept AMEX with the higher processing % fee. Amex is good for signup bonus.

It depends on your practices I'd say. Do you travel a lot? Purchase a lot of office supplies? Heavy hotel use?

The best full cashback card is probably 2-3% across the board - the rest are rotating categories quarterly.

For regular typical use, I've found Citi and Chase to be good.
  • Options
    Never asked at Best Buy, but we did down at the local TV/Appliance store and ended up with a price comparable to big stores, but with the added benefit of warranty/service guarantees and a relationship with a long-term local business.