Home Precious Metals
Options

Silver Stacking Help

I am looking to start collecting silver in large quantities, should I focus on 1 oz rounds 1oz bars, 10 oz bars 90% silver coinage. And where is the cheapest location that you know of to buy at?

Comments

• Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am looking to start collecting silver in large quantities, should I focus on 1 oz rounds 1oz bars, 10 oz bars 90% silver coinage. And where is the cheapest location that you know of to buy at? >>

Welcome to the world of metal, yes, on line.
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    I'm partial to 10oz bars. Also have some Silver Eagles, 90%. Apmex, good Co. but JM Bullion is cheaper, {free shipping} I have never purchased from JM Bullion. Take care. jws
  • Options
    wheathoarderwheathoarder Posts: 169 ✭✭
    Which gives you "more bang for your buck"
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    Lol, it changes constantly...
    Welcome
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    wheathoarderwheathoarder Posts: 169 ✭✭
    What in your opinion is the cheapest currently for the most silver
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What in your opinion is the cheapest currently for the most silver >>

The 10 ounce Sunshine Mint bars from JMBullion at $.75 over spot look good. There is a thread about them.
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    Cheapest for the most silver, 100oz bars. Safest, Silver eagles and 90%. Take care. jws
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind paying the extra pennies to buy from dbscoins.com. Their service more than makes up for it. Always consider ease of resale on anything you buy - which items are the most trusted and have the biggest buyer base? For this reason I prefer the American Eagles and gold buffalos. There is a reason they cost a little more than other gold and silver products.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭
    What is your definition of "large quantities?" Are you looking for huge gains? Preservation of capital? Your primary purpose has a lot to do with what and how you should do whatever it is you do. Getting an absolute best buy price is of decreased importance if you're planning to be in this for a long time.

APMEX and MCM are good sources of supply. For bar silver I like the 100 oz Canadian .9999 and the 10 oz German Geiger-Edelmetalle. For coins I would go rolls of USA ASE (20 per roll) or rolls (25 per roll) of the 2014 Canada Maple Leaf. The US product is more widely accepted but the new Maple Leaf, with enhanced security features, is a very nice coin.

Just my .02
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Every place mentioned so far is credit card related. That tells me no one has cash and is using their credit card to fund their precious metal cravings. That is not a good thing.
    Cash is king. Go around wherever you live with a pocket full of cash, don't be afraid to flash it to every local coin store dealer you come across, they will know you're serious then. Demand quantity discounts because you are paying with cash. This is, by far, the best way to get the most bang for your buck. All it's costing you is your gas money, which in some cases is cheaper than the shipping you will more than likely have to pay buying online depending if you live in a populated area that actually has coins stores/pawn shops, jewelry dealers, etc..
    If you live in the boonies, then consider online. Otherwise, shop locally with cash.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options

<< <i>Every place mentioned so far is credit card related. That tells me no one has cash and is using their credit card to fund their precious metal cravings. That is not a good thing.
    Cash is king. Go around wherever you live with a pocket full of cash, don't be afraid to flash it to every local coin store dealer you come across, they will know you're serious then. Demand quantity discounts because you are paying with cash. This is, by far, the best way to get the most bang for your buck. All it's costing you is your gas money, which in some cases is cheaper than the shipping you will more than likely have to pay buying online depending if you live in a populated area that actually has coins stores/pawn shops, jewelry dealers, etc..
    If you live in the boonies, then consider online. Otherwise, shop locally with cash. >>

That's a pretty big assumption. No one here mentioned a credit card purchase and just because all the major dealers accept credit cards does not mean no one has cash and that everyone is financing their purchases. These dealers do offer cash discounts that outweigh any CC rebates one might be tempted to collect. Because a business ALSO accepts credit cards does not mean no one has cash. It only means the business offers more than one payment method. FWIW all of my ebay purchases are put on credit cards - same price as cash except I collect CC rebates AND have another avenue for buyer protection. This does not mean however that I am financing my purchases. Credit cards are cash when paid in full each month.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Credit cards are cash when paid in full each month. >>

Better than cash, when you take into account the interest you earn on your float ( not much of an issue with today's interest rates) and the rebate offered by the cc.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most bullion dealers will take credit card orders to accommodate those customers that want the security that the credit card companies provide them and many just find it more convenient to use a credit card. In almost every case the bullion companies charge more for a credit card order since the credit card companies take a percentage of each transaction.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Most bullion dealers will take credit card orders to accommodate those customers that want the security that the credit card companies provide them and many just find it more convenient to use a credit card. In almost every case the bullion companies charge more for a credit card order since the credit card companies take a percentage of each transaction

And you will also pay more using a credit card than paying with cash locally in quantity. So even if you have the cash to pay the credit card charge with an online bullion dealer, you paid more than you had to just for the convenience of using the credit card. Not only that, you now expose your credit info. even more using it to make an online purchase. Different strokes.... just not for me when there's apx. 15-20 local coins stores and a big monthly coin show all within 45 miles of me.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Every place mentioned so far is credit card related. That tells me no one has cash and is using their credit card to fund their precious metal cravings. That is not a good thing.
    If you live in the boonies, then consider online. Otherwise, shop locally with cash. >>

That's a pretty big assumption. No one here mentioned a credit card purchase and just because all the major dealers accept credit cards does not mean no one has cash and that everyone is financing their purchases. These dealers do offer cash discounts that outweigh any CC rebates one might be tempted to collect. Because a business ALSO accepts credit cards does not mean no one has cash. It only means the business offers more than one payment method. FWIW all of my ebay purchases are put on credit cards - same price as cash except I collect CC rebates AND have another avenue for buyer protection. This does not mean however that I am financing my purchases. Credit cards are cash when paid in full each month. >>

^^^This.

I would not feel comfortable or safe keeping a large wad of cash on me and "flashing it" at local coin dealers. Also, my time is valuable, so I'd just as soon not waste it trying to find a local dealer who may or may not have what I'm looking for.
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Go around wherever you live with a pocket full of cash, don't be afraid to flash it to every local coin store dealer you come across, they will know you're serious then. >>

Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    LMAO at the paranoia and thinking that using a credit card on the internet is safer than walking around armed with some cash on you.

As far as time being valuable, I completely agree, but know that you are paying more for what you are purchasing online in the long run for that convenience combined with paying more using a credit card in most cases, not all but most. Like I said, different strokes...
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>LMAO at the paranoidness (word?) and thinking that using a credit card on the internet is safer than walking around armed with some cash on you.

As far as time being valuable, I completely agree, but know that you are paying more for what you are purchasing online in the long run for that convenience combined with paying more using a credit card in most cases, not all but most. Like I said, different strokes... >>

If someone compromises my CC, I'm possibly out some money and also time and effort getting it all resolved. If someone follows me knowing I am carrying a big wad of cash, I'm out money and possibly some body parts, too. Definitely different strokes...

Getting it back on topic...as KentuckyJ pointed out, the OP's overall goals will be a determining factor as well.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    big monthly coin show all within 45 miles of me.

Thats at least $10 in fuel plus wear and tear and 2 hours of time. Better to just use the credit card. Transaction done in 5 minutes leaving 115 minutes to chase the wife around the house.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Why not just wire the money to the on line dealer and get the best price and quicker delivery? You don't have to use a CC, but you can. Many banks charge $10-25 to wire money out, my credit union does it at no charge.

• Options

<< <i>Most bullion dealers will take credit card orders to accommodate those customers that want the security that the credit card companies provide them and many just find it more convenient to use a credit card. In almost every case the bullion companies charge more for a credit card order since the credit card companies take a percentage of each transaction

And you will also pay more using a credit card than paying with cash locally in quantity. So even if you have the cash to pay the credit card charge with an online bullion dealer, you paid more than you had to just for the convenience of using the credit card. Not only that, you now expose your credit info. even more using it to make an online purchase. Different strokes.... just not for me when there's apx. 15-20 local coins stores and a big monthly coin show all within 45 miles of me. >>

Another possibility is to note the cash price and if agreeable to the seller, send them a check for that amount. Once it clears, they simply issue the credit back to your CC account. Sending checks usually means it will take nearly 3 weeks to get your stuff. Not an issue if you're not in a big hurry. Buying for cash locally is a good way to keep things private provided they will sell to you at a competitive price.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Go with Silver American Eagles from a reputable dealer like Apmex, at least until you know what you are doing.

Counterfeit bars have been popping up. Have not heard of fake Silver Eagles, yet.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>LMAO at the paranoidness (word?) and thinking that using a credit card on the internet is safer than walking around armed with some cash on you.

As far as time being valuable, I completely agree, but know that you are paying more for what you are purchasing online in the long run for that convenience combined with paying more using a credit card in most cases, not all but most. Like I said, different strokes... >>

A couple/3 gallons of gas and an hour or 2 of my time are worth using a CC online for what I can't get at my LCS. I'd need to be talking about a 4-5grand min order for it not to be worth whipping out the CC to save the 3%, as would most here I assume.

I'm not one to stop/browse into the LCS a few times a week to walk out with whatever MIGHT be in stock that suits my needs. My guy doesn't carry bulk bullion, so nickel and diming a months worth of visits to drop maybe a grand on some stuff I might not have really wanted costs way more than making an online purchase of say 5gs using a card.

$20~ with the CC fees and shipping on my usual orders, don't even blink an eye on that. You're talking what, an extra $0.20/oz on generic silver if not in bulk - 100-500. Sweating that $100 on a 10 grand order is a sure fire way to drive yourself batty.

To the OP: what kind of 'bulk' are you referring to? You'll get deals on quantity everywhere online over 100oz basically.

POM: to add, I'm a 99.95% cash guy offline, and armed. image
  • Options

<< <i>

A couple/3 gallons of gas and an hour or 2 of my time are worth using a CC online for what I can't get at my LCS. I'd need to be talking about a 4-5grand min order for it not to be worth whipping out the CC to save the 3%, as would most here I assume.

I'm not one to stop/browse into the LCS a few times a week to walk out with whatever MIGHT be in stock that suits my needs. My guy doesn't carry bulk bullion, so nickel and diming a months worth of visits to drop maybe a grand on some stuff I might not have really wanted costs way more than making an online purchase of say 5gs using a card.

$20~ with the CC fees and shipping on my usual orders, don't even blink an eye on that. You're talking what, an extra $0.20/oz on generic silver if not in bulk - 100-500. Sweating that $100 on a 10 grand order is a sure fire way to drive yourself batty.

To the OP: what kind of 'bulk' are you referring to? You'll get deals on quantity everywhere online over 100oz basically.

POM: to add, I'm a 99.95% cash guy offline, and armed. image >>

JMBullion charges about $18 more to accept a CC for a roll of ASEs which adds nearly a dollar per coin to your cost. This means that silver has to go up by about $1 to get you to your break even point. Also, you pay $6 more for a roll if you can't make the price break point for 5 rolls or more. Some folks are happy making $20 on a roll, but you'd be sitting around waiting for it to go up even more so that you could make a buck a coin.
  • Options

<< <i>Go with Silver American Eagles from a reputable dealer like Apmex, at least until you know what you are doing.

Counterfeit bars have been popping up. Have not heard of fake Silver Eagles, yet. >>

Good suggestion too, esp. if you can swing a monster box of them.
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    You'll see soon that you may wish to add gold to that venture.
    COA
  • Options
    POM: to add, I'm a 99.95% cash guy offline, and armedimage

lol, I think you're the only one that got that little stipulation I put in there. Who walks around with a pocket full of cash and isn't armed these days? Apparently some here thought me based on some responses. image

Anyway, to the OP. It's good that you asked for some advice because obviously there's more than just one way of going about it. Most here seem to prefer the on-line route and pay with a credit card for reasons stated by them.
    I just wanted to give another side to it and what I have been more successful with. I tend to find the items I'm looking for more in going the local route than on sites like APMEX, etc. And if APMEX does have the unique silver I collect, they want too much, way more than what your lcs will. If it means spending some of my time and gas in the process, so be it. It's the same as the premium you're going to pay for the convenience of shopping on-line in your underwear at home, don't let anyone tell you differently. Pay for the convenience of on-line or pay for some gasoline, either way it can be viewed as " the premuim."
    Again, all just from my experience and best of luck to you in your hunting.
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭
    I have never paid for any precious metal or numismatic purchase using credit. If I don't have funds available then I don't buy. If I buy from APMEX I send a check. They acknowledge receipt and send a tracking number when they ship. It has never taken three weeks for whatever I've bought from them to arrive. I use Paypal for MCM or ebay. My Paypal is linked to a bank account, not a credit card. I don't often shop local but I have on occasion picked up a few items that way.
  • Options
    It sounds like everyone does what works best for them which is as it should be. I buy from wherever I get the best deal, which is usually JMBullion. I know going in that it will take at least 2 weeks from the time I mail a check until they receive it, process and clear it and then ship the goods. But I don't care as long as I get it. If I wanted it ASAP, I'd wire the funds. I've used a CC when someone like APMEX has a deal on eBay and accepts PayPal. It's silly not to use a CC with PP as you lose any reward points and leverage power if there is a dispute. No harm in using a CC if you can pay it off when due. Same as cash to me.

Typically, I put as much as I can on my cards in order to get the cash back/reward points. For buying silver, I want to keep my cost as low as possible.
  • Options

<< <i>POM: to add, I'm a 99.95% cash guy offline, and armedimage

lol, I think you're the only one that got that little stipulation I put in there. Who walks around with a pocket full of cash and isn't armed these days? Apparently some here thought me based on some responses. image

Anyway, to the OP. It's good that you asked for some advice because obviously there's more than just one way of going about it. Most here seem to prefer the on-line route and pay with a credit card for reasons stated by them.
    I just wanted to give another side to it and what I have been more successful with. I tend to find the items I'm looking for more in going the local route than on sites like APMEX, etc. And if APMEX does have the unique silver I collect, they want too much, way more than what your lcs will. If it means spending some of my time and gas in the process, so be it. It's the same as the premium you're going to pay for the convenience of shopping on-line in your underwear at home, don't let anyone tell you differently. Pay for the convenience of on-line or pay for some gasoline, either way it can be viewed as " the premuim."
    Again, all just from my experience and best of luck to you in your hunting. >>

I'm a silver commoner, that is mostly ASEs and sometimes bars. Unless my LCS had a favorable large walkin deal, chances are that I can buy my silver from the same place they do and at a similar price.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer 90% silver. Also check out www.goldmart.com. I don't buy 90% there but they have good prices on bullion.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.