Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWPS via sixbid

My life has become quite boring the past few weeks, for non numismatic reasons of course, which is why in a desperate attempt to win yet another coin or banknote, I've placed a bid via sixbid to Internationl Coin Auction, a firm based in Dublin and from which I've won lots before. Still, I couldn't participate directly, because for the life of me, I couldn't remember my username and password to THAT particular firm, so I went via sixbid instead. I've placed several bids, two of which were outbid at a different auction, and I had kind of forgotten about said bid, because my real interest lies in an auction that will take place by the end of June.

A friend of mine decided to place three bids in that same auction, but he did it via internet live. He won a very pretty Ethiopian Birr, looks choice unc or better from the photo, then had some fun by maxing out an Italian bidder for a second, practically identical Ethiopian Birr , that the Italian ended up winning for 850 euros, 70% higher than my friend's lot, but then again my friend is a poker player and he enjoys this kind of risky tricks. He also won a 1895-A French franc in BU and his third lot was an Egyptian 10 qirsh AH1293/15 (1889) certified PCGS MS64 and quite scarce so nice. So this one goes to me, next week I guess, to satisfy my insatiable appetite for Ottoman coins.

When I asked him how much lot 317 closed at,(my sixbid bid), he told me the exact same amount that I had placed at the sixbid bidsheet, and he told me that he remembered it because it was a lot sold as is, no returns. I won this lot at starting price + 5% (ie a cut bid from the start, which I never thought I'd win, its estimate was 60% higher) and the lot was a trio of raw BU and very nicely toned 1898 French sowers, a 50L, 1 franc and 2 francs. 1898 was the first year of issue for these, along with a matte proof issue , which I'm not very fond of. Here they are.

And finally, I've purchased an Ionian 1835 lepton that I already own, but was curious to see it in hand, especially since a friend of mine happened to go to London at the same dealer and he delivered it to me in hand. Unfortunately, in hand it wasn't as I expected it, I've given it a grade of 64BN which is no improvement of my own PQ 64BN, so it's on its way back.

It's on its way back, but not for a reimbursement, but along with £200, I'm now buying this one (and it's been freshly graded, the coin is TOO large to fit in the slab with the prongs)

Turkey,1800, Selim III, 2 Kurush, NGC MS64, an impossible condition for this coin in less than 0.500 silver, so I bought it as a condition rarity and a coin I loved at first sight.

This is definitely a keeper, yet another Ottoman silver coin, the oldest I own, but I have older Ottoman gold than this, those too certified in NGC 64 and 65.
Here's the image of the obverse of the slab, and this concludes this week's efforts to escape death from boredom.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

Comments

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    And while I was posting these, I've got confirmation that I indeed won lot 317 from auction 7, ie the trio of French Sowers. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    GreigGreig Posts: 89 ✭✭
    Dimitri,

Those three French coins are gorgeous! I have several of these with far more common dates (the WW1 coins - 1915-20) that have eye-popping luster, but the subtle toning on these three is magnificent!! I am very glad you won them.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats.... very attractive additions

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice stuff here, and a joy to read your adventures image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Greig said.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be bored more often! Awesome. Ottoman coins are really neat and very tough so nice.