Home Precious Metals

Sears/Kmart share or 2 ounces of Silver.

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
...I will take the silver.

Sad tale as I kind of like the nearby K-mart store. Problem is, what I like about it is also the problem.

A mile away from a kind of tired Wal Mart, this newer Super K is always empty or near empty. Wal Mart is packed.

Stopped into KM on Saturday morning and as I approached the checkout area, only one lane was open, with the friendly cashier greeting me and frankly happy to have a customer to check out.

Looking for some hardware security products, the section had about 25% empty pegs, and the used pegs had a single item on each. Clearly K-Mart is having trouble getting goods from vendors.

The Sears side is no better, hemorrhaging money in the face of a long term recession, stagnant consumer income and brutal online competition.

Hell, Walmart has suffered declining same store sales for 5 consecutive quarters. SHLD will most likely be toast by Q1 2015.

Comments

• I'll take the silver. Sears is a dinosaur and Kmart can't compete with Walmart. They been trying to turn those stores around for what a decade now? Time to shut them down. While we're at it JC Penney is another retailer who's days are numbered.
    Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • AcesCrackedAcesCracked Posts: 189 ✭✭
    I will also take the silver. The malls killed the local downtowns and now online shopping is killing the malls and mid size retailers. I just wish the Wal-Mart's would stop the X-mas tree sales as that used to be a wonderful fundraiser for local boy scouts.

Keep stacking

Tom
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone produce a list of stocks that have outperformed silver over the last 10 years?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They shut down our Kmart a few years ago and are in the process of shutting down our J.C. Penney. Can't stand Wal-Mart and try not to shop there unless I have to.
  • CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    I'll take the silver also.

Went into K-mart last week to get a small wading pool for a grow box. (Walmart doesn't carry them.) This store is right across the street from Walmart since they made the wrong choice on which one to close. Wasn't but 10 cars in the parking lot. Walmart was packed. My wife had a small shopping list but said K-mart did not have the item or was higher priced. Went across the street so she could get what she wanted.
    I am surprised this particular K-mart has lasted as long as it has.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    ". Can't stand Wal-Mart and try not to shop there unless I have to". hchcoin

I hate the place with a passion. Take care. jws
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Canary In The Greeter’s Aisle: No “Escape Velocity” At Wal-Mart

I'm officially blaming silver performance on the weather.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    One thing K-mart needs to fix (among other things) is the check out interrogation.

Do you have a members card.
    What is your phone number.
    Do you want to donate a dollar to gold for geezers.
    Please press no then.
    Would you like a paper receipt or an e receipt.

At Wal Mart.

That will be $48.77
    Thank you.
  • AcesCrackedAcesCracked Posts: 189 ✭✭
    The one of the many things Wal-Mart has to fix is the checkout in the 20 items or less line. Here is my issue....
    1. They put the slowest checkers in the world at the fast lanes. Most are seniors and they work there because they will show up for work (work ethic) unlike the teens of today.
    2. The self check out machines never seem to work. Its always something . I always swear to never use them again and cave in and the same issues......
    The plus side is being retired I can go in there at 1AM and take my time with empty aisles......

Tom

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy silver, K-Sears is going to be history soon.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

<< <i>Buy silver, K-Sears is going to be history soon. >>

Unless the FED declares them too big to fail. image

<< <i>

<< <i>Buy silver, K-Sears is going to be history soon. >>

Unless the FED declares them too big to fail. image >>

That would be interesting.

.....and possible.
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    My Walmart has a real nice selection of Auguson Farms dehydrated food in #10 cans that I store because Im a delusional paranoid freak . They also usually have lead and brass in my preferable size. Except .22 lr, that stuff rarer than a chain cent these days.
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08

• << <i>My Walmart has a real nice selection of Auguson Farms dehydrated food in #10 cans that I store because Im a delusional paranoid freak . They also usually have lead and brass in my preferable size. Except .22 lr, that stuff rarer than a chain cent these days. >>

Agreed, finding .22lr anywhere is pretty much impossible.
    Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Silver. I guess if I were running Sears/Kmart, I would just shut it down. Sell the real estate, sell the great brands (Craftsman, Kenmore) and close the lights. Sears has a HUGE, I mean HUGE problem with customer service OUTSIDE of the stores. Took my wife's Kenmore vac into a neighborhood Sears (not a corporate) store to send out for repair. After almost a month of screw-ups (repair not done, sent back out, called to come pick it up, repair center never sent it) the neighborhood store owner gave me a new vac.
    I tried to contact corporate to express my displeasure and got NOWHERE.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can anyone produce a list of stocks that have outperformed silver over the last 10 years? >>

I know of one...KLS.V.* May 19, 2004 (.14), May 19, 2014 (6.25)
    Silver ranged from 5.90 to 19.36 in that same period.

*Owned it since 2002.
  • OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will take the silver. Silver is not likely to go to zero. I am not so sure about Sears/Kmart stock.
  • tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    So what do most people naturally do when they see "the writing on the wall"?

Now is a day I do feel better about owning PMs even though down a bit.
    COA
    the current "cap" on silver is $20. Trade accordingly.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, how soon to we forget. JCP was in a similar negative mindset not that long ago. With imminent forecasts of collapse, etc. It has gone up by approx 30% since. I'll take the minority view and pick K/Sears.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    Do the corporate numbers justify the 30% or is FED fuel creating the demand?

<< <i>Oh, how soon to we forget. JCP was in a similar negative mindset not that long ago. With imminent forecasts of collapse, etc. It has gone up by approx 30% since. I'll take the minority view and pick K/Sears. >>

<< <i>Sell the real estate, sell the great brands (Craftsman, Kenmore) and close the lights. >>

With a relatively small market cap of $4B (less than Dick's sporting goods), Sears/Kmart holds many potential assets. Rather than bleed them out and folding, selling off the brands (including Diehard) and real estate may make a lot of sense. Problem is, closing 2000 plus stores is hugely expensive and may consume the remaining equity.

Though I would take the silver, I wouldn't short the company either.
    Sears will scale down, but they will sell themselves before they get to the point of closing all stores. How do you say "craftsman" in Chinese?

Goldman weekly retail sales down 1.3%

""'Heavy snow in the Rockies and flooding in the East held down chain-store sales in the May 17 week which fell a sharp 1.3 percent. The report notes that this was the wettest second week of May in 23 years.""

First the snow, now the rain.....in two weeks it will be the sizzling Summer temps.

Maybe the economy just sucks.
    Consumers still consume regardless of what it is like outside. If they can't get to the store this week, they will buy twice as much next week. Retailers and Washington number crunchers use the weather as a scapegoat for a poor economy.

<< <i>Consumers still consume regardless of what it is like outside. If they can't get to the store this week, they will buy twice as much next week. Retailers and Washington number crunchers use the weather as a scapegoat for a poor economy. >>

Very true, and we will always have weather.
    If the internet was around in 1991 people would have written about the failure of Eastern Airlines as a sign the economy sucked. The next 10 years were miserable....for those folks. LOL

<< <i>If the internet was around in 1991 people would have written about the failure of Eastern Airlines as a sign the economy sucked. The next 10 years were miserable....for those folks. LOL >>

At least the politicians of that era allowed the non competitive entities to fail. The brash and efficient Southwest Airlines flourished in that era, as the 1960's mentality carriers were forced to improve or vanish.

Today we have a retread US auto industry as well as a banking system that is rewarded for sloth inefficiency and reckless risk taking.
    Today we have a retread US auto industry as well as a banking system that is rewarded for sloth inefficiency and reckless risk taking.

They would have said the same thing in 1991, four years after an stock market crash and the beginning of a war. The more things change the more they stay the same.

<< <i>Today we have a retread US auto industry as well as a banking system that is rewarded for sloth inefficiency and reckless risk taking.

They would have said the same thing in 1991, four years after an stock market crash and the beginning of a war. The more things change the more they stay the same. >>

In early 1991 the national debt was $3.4T and the administration maintained a nexus to protecting the constitution.

<< <i>

<< <i>Today we have a retread US auto industry as well as a banking system that is rewarded for sloth inefficiency and reckless risk taking.

They would have said the same thing in 1991, four years after an stock market crash and the beginning of a war. The more things change the more they stay the same. >>

In early 1991 the national debt was $3.4T and the administration maintained a nexus to protecting the constitution. >>

And financial regulators did their job of keeping banks from becoming too big to fail.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How do you say "craftsman" in Chinese? >>

They've been saying that for years already unfortunately. A lot of their line is made in China now.

I'd take the 2oz silver.

<< <i>

<< <i>How do you say "craftsman" in Chinese? >>

They've been saying that for years already unfortunately. A lot of their line is made in China now.

I'd take the 2oz silver. >>

I recall attending a sales meeting for Oxwall Tool in 1981. With great fanfare the Vice president presented their first made in China tools. A couple of hammers and a line of hatchets/axes. Sort of primitive looking steel but solid and well made. Could not have imagined where we would be a third of a century later.
    In early 1991 the national debt was $3.4T

Which had tripled from 1982.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcYZlRWWxO0

<< <i>In early 1991 the national debt was $3.4T

Which had tripled from 1982.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcYZlRWWxO0 >>

Yes, the spending was reckless in the 1980's. Still though the debt was half of GDP. Now we are a bit over GDP which can only throttle down the economy.
    Now we are a bit over GDP which can only throttle down the economy.

That oughtta keep inflation in check. image

• ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh, how soon to we forget. JCP was in a similar negative mindset not that long ago. With imminent forecasts of collapse, etc. It has gone up by approx 30% since. I'll take the minority view and pick K/Sears. >>

The second half of this year is looking brutal for the economy. There's going to be many familiar retail names disappearing over the next 1-3 years along with considerable consolidation. I strongly suspect JCP and Sears / Kmart will be among them.

I don't want either the stock or the silver for the near term. I'd just as soon hold cash for now.
    One retailer that was on the skids back in the mid 1980s was Target Corporation. Somehow they had a new dynamic leadership team refloat that sinking ship and turn it into an upscale version of K-Mart. Wider aisles, well maintained and well lit stores.

In contrast a few years ago Sears turned the thermostat up in the summer to 80" and turned the lights down in their stores to save money. That worked out real well for them too - managed to scare off a few more customers.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

<< <i>One retailer that was on the skids back in the mid 1980s was Target Corporation. Somehow they had a new dynamic leadership team refloat that sinking ship and turn it into an upscale version of K-Mart. >>

Very true. As you folks recall, K-mart went bankrupt and the company was essentially turned over to the creditors. K-Mart had been poorly manage for years (I had done business with them in the 80's and early nineties). I truly thought that the new management team would have cleaned up the problems and prospered. Face it though, we can do fine with one or two less big box chains.

<< <i>

<< <i>One retailer that was on the skids back in the mid 1980s was Target Corporation. Somehow they had a new dynamic leadership team refloat that sinking ship and turn it into an upscale version of K-Mart. >>

Very true. As you folks recall, K-mart went bankrupt and the company was essentially turned over to the creditors. K-Mart had been poorly manage for years (I had done business with them in the 80's and early nineties). I truly thought that the new management team would have cleaned up the problems and prospered. Face it though, we can do fine with one or two less big box chains. >>

The more big box chains, the merrier. Competition is the consumer's best friend. We need about 500 more big banks. Unfortunately that would require about 100 more Federal Reserves to keep them bailed out.

<< <i>

Very true. As you folks recall, K-mart went bankrupt and the company was essentially turned over to the creditors. K-Mart had been poorly manage for years (I had done business with them in the 80's and early nineties). I truly thought that the new management team would have cleaned up the problems and prospered. Face it though, we can do fine with one or two less big box chains. >>

Back in the late 1990s I was a credit manager for a small manufacturing firm that sold store equipment to retail stores - the company hadn't done business with K-Mart for years. I changed that when K-Mart was turned over to the creditors - even changing our invoices to suit their wants( K-Mart is a bit of a dictator from an earlier era, pre-Wal-Mart) to help make the sale. For several years they were good customers, paid quickly if I kept on them - and then they fell off the wagon again and started stringing out past 90-120 days.

<< <i>
    The more big box chains, the merrier. Competition is the consumer's best friend. We need about 500 more big banks. Unfortunately that would require about 100 more Federal Reserves to keep them bailed out. >>

I don't bank, I credit union. In a credit union you are a member, not a customer. You ARE the shareholder, not Wall St.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Back in the late 1990s I was a credit manager for a small manufacturing firm that sold store equipment to retail stores - the company hadn't done business with K-Mart for years. I changed that when K-Mart was turned over to the creditors - even changing our invoices to suit their wants( K-Mart is a bit of a dictator from an earlier era, pre-Wal-Mart) to help make the sale. For several years they were good customers, paid quickly if I kept on them - and then they fell off the wagon again and started stringing out past 90-120 days. >>

My couple of years in the advertising industry taught me that an early indicator of a business's pending demise is a massive, expensive advertising blitz that will either work or never get paid for.

<< <i>

<< <i>
    The more big box chains, the merrier. Competition is the consumer's best friend. We need about 500 more big banks. Unfortunately that would require about 100 more Federal Reserves to keep them bailed out. >>

I don't bank, I credit union. In a credit union you are a member, not a customer. You ARE the shareholder, not Wall St. >>

I too am a CU shareholder. Unfortunately even credit unions are under the shackles and whims of the Federal Reserve and its sidekick the Treasury Dept. and as we know they are controlled by Wall St.

One funny story. Early nineties, K-mart was beginning the relationship with Martha Stewart and wanted to upgrade the kitchenware department.

I brought in a line of restaurant quality pepper mills. The buyer was impressed and took a few samples.

Chairman at the time, Joe Antonini walked into the merchandising presentation (as the buyer relayed it) and said that he was looking for a decent mill and grabbed one of the samples.

They never did buy the line.

Which ultimately was a good thing as the company I represented would have most likely suffered a heavy hit.