Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cassie McFarland and her $5000 Payday

FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
For their winning designs of the Sacagawea Dollar and Baseball HOF Coins , Glenna Goodacre and Cassie
McFarland were awarded a $5000 payment.

The US Mint paid Glenna Goodacre for her winning design with burnished Sacagaweas which she had specially
slabbed . The specially designated Coins were offered to the market at a nice premium of $200 each.

Do you think the Mint might pay Cassie McFarland with a check or might they pay her in some special way? Would
anyone get in line to buy a special Cassie McFarland Coin that was used as part of her compensation? I'm sure
there might be plenty of the Half Dollars left when all is said and done. Wouldn't it be nice if they paid Cassie with
10,000 of those ?

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who?

And you call yourself a silver dollar collector?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Well she could just pull a Ben Bernanke and attend Wall Street dinners at $250,000 a pop!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Who? And you call yourself a silver dollar collector? ------------------------- >>

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cassie McFarland and her $5000 Payday...I hear that includes the Aluminum level ACA health plan also.....Sa...Weeeeet! image
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Cassie McFarland and her $5000 Payday...I hear that includes the Aluminum level ACA health plan also.....Sa...Weeeeet! image >>

Thanks, I just spit beer all over my tablet image
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be great if they paid her in platinum HOF coins image
  • Options
    jmdm1194jmdm1194 Posts: 379
    As the winning designer for the Hall of Fame coin, she has gained an incredible amount of visibility. This type of compensation is priceless especially as an artist. Did anyone here know who she was before this contest? PCGS has also helped with the Cassi McFarland signature series labels. She will also get more exposure at the Long Beach show next month sharing a booth with John Mercanti signing autographs. The $5000 prize is a mere token of the Mints appreciation.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Cassie McFarland and her $5000 Payday...I hear that includes the Aluminum level ACA health plan also.....Sa...Weeeeet! image >>

• Options
    Where's Cassie ? Anyone seen or heard anything of Cassie lately? Has she picked up any product endorsements?
    Has she done any exhibitions in any Art Galleries lately? Has she gotten any exposure in any prominent national
    magazines?

Where's Cassie?

image Cassie, where are you? Please write.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For their winning designs of the Sacagawea Dollar and Baseball HOF Coins , Glenna Goodacre and Cassie

The US Mint paid Glenna Goodacre for her winning design with burnished Sacagaweas which she had specially
    slabbed . The specially designated Coins were offered to the market at a nice premium of $200 each. >>

A "sweetheart deal" to say the least! I don't understand the Mint's reasons for doing that. image

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That $5,000 payday pales in comparison I believe to her payday in working this year with Miles Standish (PCGS) in connection with PCGS' baseball coin program. And, not just her. Take a look at how many coins Pete Rose signed for Miles this year.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>For their winning designs of the Sacagawea Dollar and Baseball HOF Coins , Glenna Goodacre and Cassie

slabbed . The specially designated Coins were offered to the market at a nice premium of $200 each. >>

A "sweetheart deal" to say the least! I don't understand the Mint's reasons for doing that. image >>

You got that right. Backroom dealing makes the world go round.

It would only seem fair to pay Cassie McFarland with HOF Halves. To actually pay someone $5000
    for a winning design is a bit of a joke. Why did Glenna Goodacre get special treatment?

• Options

<< <i>That $5,000 payday pales in comparison I believe to her payday in working this year with Miles Standish (PCGS) in connection with PCGS' baseball coin program. And, not just her. Take a look at how many coins Pete Rose signed for Miles this year.

Wondercoin >>

I don't have a problem with that one at all. PCGS is a company and can pay whomever they want to pay for the services that person performs.

But for the Mint, a government agency, to give Ms. Goodacre a "windfall" in specially made coins is in my view unacceptable and unethical.

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That $5,000 payday pales in comparison I believe to her payday in working this year with Miles Standish (PCGS) in connection with PCGS' baseball coin program. And, not just her. Take a look at how many coins Pete Rose signed for Miles this year.

Wondercoin >>

I don't have a problem with that one at all. PCGS is a company and can pay whomever they want to pay for the services that person performs.

But for the Mint, a government agency, to give Ms. Goodacre a "windfall" in specially made coins is in my view unacceptable and unethical. >>

5,000 special examples was way out of line
    1 or 2 in token alright

felix schlag only got 2 in token...."proof" 1966 nickels
    that was even decades after his design win

now they're making this a cash cow thing
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

A "sweetheart deal" to say the least! I don't understand the Mint's reasons for doing that. image >>

You got that right. Backroom dealing makes the world go round.

It would only seem fair to pay Cassie McFarland with HOF Halves. To actually pay someone $5000
    for a winning design is a bit of a joke. Why did Glenna Goodacre get special treatment? >>

In a 9/29/2012 article published by CoinWorld ( Read it here ), it states "She elected to receive her payment in the form of 5,000 Sacagawea dollars."

Some were done on burnished planchets and some were not.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    As I recall, Goodacre got paid in coins. What goes unsaid is how difficult it is to pay someone, a vendor, any other way than a check through the accounting system. We are dealing with a major government agency here, not a boutique operation run on the back of a napkin.

Getting Goodacre paid in coins was a tremendous pain in the butt for the accounting staff, not to mention causing potential problems with auditors. FYI, the Chief Accountant (now retired) was one of my good friends at the Mint.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Goodacre negotiated the contract to be paid in coins. She knew that would maximize her pay for the job. And the Mint got off paying less than market for an outside artist. It was all upfront and negotiated with attorneys. Still was a pain to make the payment.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options

<< <i>Goodacre negotiated the contract to be paid in coins. She knew that would maximize her pay for the job. And the Mint got off paying less than market for an outside artist. It was all upfront and negotiated with attorneys. Still was a pain to make the payment. >>

Again, all of that is fine. Where it crosses the line IMO is when the Mint gave her burnished coins that NO ONE ELSE had a chance to receive, thereby creating a "rarity" exclusively owned by one person.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Goodacre negotiated the contract to be paid in coins. She knew that would maximize her pay for the job. And the Mint got off paying less than market for an outside artist. It was all upfront and negotiated with attorneys. Still was a pain to make the payment. >>

Again, all of that is fine. Where it crosses the line IMO is when the Mint gave her burnished coins that NO ONE ELSE had a chance to receive, thereby creating a "rarity" exclusively owned by one person. >>

The US Treasury Department had some seriously high hopes for the new Golden Dollar. As such, any type of marketing that would bring publicity to the coins was a plus. The linked article stated that the coins wer "hand delivered" by US Mint Director Philip Diehl which only adds to the marketing.
    At one point, even Walmart played a part in the "release" of the Golden Dollars so, from my perspective, no lines were crossed as the US Mint was simply burnishing up the coins so that Goodacre got good value for her services.

ICG would never grade these coins because of the burnishing yet, because they had been "owned" by Glenna Goodacre, they still sold for a nice premium.

I personally do not think that any lines were crossed at all and if Cassie McFarland had had the marketing and business sense that Glenna Goodacre possessed, perhaps she too could have made some serious money for her efforts.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

TTT

A little over 3 years down the line and NOW .............. where is Cassie?

I wonder if she submitted any design in the recent Apollo 11 Competition?

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭

She signed some NGC for Autographing Labels. as they announced recenlly albeit 3 years later.

How are the current values and demand now.

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2017 8:20PM

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/6092/cassie-mcfarland-signature-label/

Signed a deal with NGC but 3 years after coin release?

What are the coins going for these days and is their any demand for them.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I know I'm replying to a 3 year old post...

@RichieURich said:
    But for the Mint, a government agency, to give Ms. Goodacre a "windfall" in specially made coins is in my view unacceptable and unethical.

From the Mint's perspective, it was a bargain.

Instead of paying her $5000, they paid her $5000 in sacabucks that cost 23 cents on the dollar.

So instead of paying her $5000, they actually only paid her $1,150. (What it cost the mint to make the coins.)

If she made a windfall after the fact is probably no concern to the mint.

(And as we know from hindsight, the burnished sacs were eventually included in the Millennium set...)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would it be anyone's concern how Ms. Goodacre was paid? That is a business deal between a supplier and a contractor - period. Whether she got special coins, cash, or a partridge in a pear tree, it should be of concern only to the parties involved. She should also have asked for a 'one of a kind' gold coin.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The award paid to artists for coin designs is trifling. To compare with similar awards a century ago, McFarland should have received something like $50,000.

The tiny amounts offered for coin designs effectively exclude the best sculptors and artists - they cannot survive and create their best on such paltry sums.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

The tiny amounts offered for coin designs effectively exclude the best sculptors and artists - they cannot survive and create their best on such paltry sums.

I suspect this is why GG was give the special Sacs as payment. I don't know how much she actually got for the slabbed coins she sold, but assuming she cleared $100 a coin, that $5,000 award payment morphed into $500,000. She was a recognized artist at the time, but even for a respected artist that was a huge windfall.

• Options
    edited August 21, 2017 4:23PM

Zoins said - way back in 2014

"It would be great if they paid her in platinum HOF coins "

The Mint could do a 5th year Anniversary Edition in an Enhanced Unc version and give the entire production to Cassie. This would be a really special way to finally compensate someone who should have received more than a paltry $5,000.00 . They wouldn't need to strike more than a couple hundred Coins. Gold , Silver, Platinum... wouldn't matter too much.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem has been discussed with senior Mint and Treasury officials. But Congress controls $$. Intangible benefits to the coinage and America's reputation are rarely understood by Members.

• Options

@ricko said:
    Why would it be anyone's concern how Ms. Goodacre was paid? That is a business deal between a supplier and a contractor - period. Whether she got special coins, cash, or a partridge in a pear tree, it should be of concern only to the parties involved. She should also have asked for a 'one of a kind' gold coin.... Cheers, RickO

Gee, maybe she should have been given the 13 gold Sacagawea dollars. She could have sold them for possibly, $500,000 each. If that happened, how could this be fair to the other designers who don't get such a windfall?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichieURich...Your hypothetical situation while unlikely, could of course be possible. Depends on the negotiating skills of the artist. As far as other artists? That is their problem... life is not fair, it is what you make it..... since when is negotiating a contract supposed to be fair to the losers? That is ridiculous..... Under that supposition, someone who did not get a major league contract, should be paid the same as the individual selected? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

And how about them coins ? Anyone collect or are they just flipped from one famous person to another famous person ?

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    (And as we know from hindsight, the burnished sacs were eventually included in the Millennium set...)

Goodacre's coins were 2000-P, the Millennium set dollars were 2000-D.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

TTT

Whatever happened to Cassie? She was like a brief fresh breeze in a moldy old dusty world of neglected Junk stacked on Tables.

It would be cruel to even wish her back into this old forgotten environment. Her mark will be here forever.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not certain why this is even of interest. Two different people struck two different deals. Happens everyday in business.

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't combine autographs and coins.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file