Home Metal Detecting

Barnacle Bill!

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
This C. Megalodon (extinct giant White shark) tooth fossil is between 1.5 and 28 million years old and measures almost exactly 3" slantwise.

It was found just this week by my fossil hunting buddy Matt Dixon, in dredge spoil material taken from the bottom of Saint Simons Sound in Brunswick, Glynn County, Georgia, USA. Matt finds a lot of nice fossils, though I found some myself the other day. He gets out more often than I do.

I call this one "Barnacle Bill" because of the really neat looking barnacle encrustation on one side. Obviously it lay exposed on the sea floor for some time.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a really nice piece of history lordM. What other kinds of fossils have shown up?

It's not a fossil, but one item on my bucketlist is a native American arrowhead. You see people pull them out like Zincolns in certain areas, but here they seem pretty scarce.

The barnacles add a little intrigue too!

• << <i>That's a really nice piece of history lordM. What other kinds of fossils have shown up?

It's not a fossil, but one item on my bucketlist is a native American arrowhead. You see people pull them out like Zincolns in certain areas, but here they seem pretty scarce.

The barnacles add a little intrigue too! >>

pcgs you might be a little jealous but i found my first arrowhead when i was 3 or 4 in my backyard !! also great tooth image
    Successful Sales on this forum to:erickso1
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We find thousands of shark teeth.

Not all of them are big Megs, of course, but my daughter and I can go down to the boat ramp and not leave until each of us has a tooth or two. Usually takes less than 10-15 minutes. Those are little fossil teeth, mind you, but she and I have both found big megs on the same site.

The guy that found this one spends most of his time doing it, though.

Arrowheads? I have found three over the years. The first was a nice Paleo point which came up when I was digging a MD target in an old NC churchyard.

Actually I have found four, if you count that rough-cut piece at the right of the photo above to be one. Not sure. Looks like it, though.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool Megalodon tooth....I have the partial you sent me years ago.... Arrowheads - or 'points' as they are known - are fairly common in this area. It was a major native American territory. Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats cool to see.
  • bonkroodbonkrood Posts: 796 ✭✭✭
    The barnacle encrustation on it makes it extra cool.
    image Steam Power
  • Awesome!
    SPEED OF LIGHTNING....ROAR OF THUNDER.

SEMPER FI 2/11 1977-1981
    "LAS PULGAS" image
  • demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    That would really cool to dig those. I've bought a few for my son.
    Out here I've found some arrowheads and even some pottery. There are a lot of places to look, but never seem to have time anymore.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That would really cool to dig those. >>

Dig, schmig. We just go out and pick 'em up! No digging involved, for the most part, unless we spot one that's partially buried.