Home Precious Metals

What's better. Gold in Grams or partial ounces?

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
Its confusing comparing the two when considering price to buy or sell when you're at the counter.
5g, 10g, vs 1/4 ounce - 1/2 ounce. Its confusing adding it up. Mix in pre 33' gold and I'm freaked out.

In looking around a site like apmex, I have to look for the lowest price in each type to get a benchmark.
And I'm still not sure if pre 33 is more? I'm glad Apmex does have sealed/assay in some apmex gold.

for example, I go into the pawn shop and he shows me 10g pamp in assay, and 1/2 ounce apmex coin. Its tough on the
fly to know which they may be padding, or if they are using an equivalent bases on both.

Same went selling. Will the audience understand one form or the other better?
COA

Comments

• JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    Never really thought about it, and math's not my strong point. It is confusing. I just ask the dealer. {kidding}. Take care. jws
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    see if this helps

I prefer ounces and fractional ounces, it's what spot is priced with.

"Who needs risk management when you’ve got guaranteed bailouts? - Jesse Felder

• JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    "see if this helps" derryb.

Thanks derryb, right up my alley. Take care. jws
  • rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    grams iz a scams, unless of course u a dentist...
    keceph `anah
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the weight is in grams, I just divide by 31.1 to convert it to Troy ounces. Not a big deal.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    Being Italian, in general I am more familiar with grams. I feel that the fractional bars are better in grams than in ounces, tough I wouldn't like a 31.103 g bar...
    My friends in Italy use the spot of silver by the kilo, not the ounce.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009

<< <i>Being Italian, in general I am more familiar with grams. I feel that the fractional bars are better in grams than in ounces, tough I wouldn't like a 31.103 g bar...
    My friends in Italy use the spot of silver by the kilo, not the ounce. >>

I have several kilo bars---some are marked "1 Kilo", others are marked "32.15 Troy ounces" while others are marked with both. It can get confusing for those not familiar with metric units of weight.

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Generally, the smaller the size bar the more premium there is. If you're stacking is of the thinking to stay as close to what Spot is doing, buy 100 oz'ers. Anything down from that size just means the ratio of what you're paying vs. what Spot is will ( in most cases) be more.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep a conversion table with you when buying..... or download an app to your smartphone... that way, you have it when you need it. Cheers, RickO

<< <i>Keep a conversion table with you when buying..... or download an app to your smartphone... that way, you have it when you need it. Cheers, RickO >>

It's easier to use the calculator on your cell phone. Divide the weight in grams by 31.1 to get the weight in Troy ounces.

• tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Thanks.
    Good chart. Going to have to add in a Gram column into my spreadsheet....
    COA