Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I have a 36 & 37 Proof Set in for Restoration Service and I can't wait for results, Before Pics

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
Been in PCGS's Hands Since 4/14, told it takes 4-6 weeks or longer UGH the agony , I'm wearing out the check submission button image

How long did you Submission take and how do you handle the wait and wait and wait ...image

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Is there a stability guarantee on the results? I read the PCGS Restoration FAQ and other pages and can not tell.
    I seem to be reading that downgrades are impossible but Genuine is possible?
    "If the coin is already in a PCGS holder, it is guaranteed not to downgrade" &
    "When the restoration process is completed, the coin will then be forwarded to PCGS for grading. All grades are possible including Genuine." [Except for previously graded PCGS coins?]

Eric
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    Got any "before" pics????

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I had a one coin submission for conservation. ( Removal of some PVC on a Buffalo nickel. )
    I dropped the submission off at the Atlanta ANA show on 2/27 and I received it back on 5/11.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

Some before pics added, Trueviews ordered for after
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depending on the level of 'restoration', the 'surgery' could be extensive...... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Thank you. I always wanted to see a 1936 proof quarter reverse next to a 1937 one.
    The enhanced relief on the 1937 type B is obvious. Perhaps it is too obvious on the inside wing edges and field.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm watching this one!! Please do keep us informed. Thanks for sharing this....CHD
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm watching this one!! Please do keep us informed. Thanks for sharing this....CHD >>

Agreed! Looking forward to seeing the pics when you get the coins back from their spa treatment.

• Options
    Five weeks plus not done yet the agony image
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 awesome sets! You have to be brave with these sets, but they come out lovely if you know what you are doing! Is there a story behind how you ended up with them?
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can only dream of getting those sets! Very awesome!! I swear that the two cents look as though they have a little cameo on the reverses. Was that possible then??
  • Options

<< <i>I'm watching this one!! Please do keep us informed. Thanks for sharing this....CHD >>

This really is taking more time than a guy would expect! It is tough waiting, eh!! Your sets look VERY promising and it's my opinion you'll be more than happy with the results. image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the problem that PCGS is correcting with conservation? You know the coins. It's hard to tell from the pix.

I would have guessed PCGS would have returned them unconserved. But it's been several weeks so maybe they're dealing with some kind of contamination?

Great sets!
    Lance.
  • Options

<< <i>What is the problem that PCGS is correcting with conservation? You know the coins. It's hard to tell from the pix.

I would have guessed PCGS would have returned them unconserved. But it's been several weeks so maybe they're dealing with some kind of contamination?

Great sets!
    Lance. >>

I would think they will brighten the coins up by way of removing the haze. I'm pretty sure this the #1 specialty with conservation, what they do best so to speak. I could be wrong .
  • Options
    I was hoping to have these for the PCGS Members only show going on Now in Vegas, but ugh hurry up and wait
  • Options

<< <i>Anything yet? >>

I was wondering the same thing. image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    The silver should turn out great. The nickel will likely look good. I'm really curious about the copper.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing the "after" pics as well. Those are pretty hazy.
  • Options
    nine weeks and come and gone ugh the wait is killing me
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>nine weeks and come and gone ugh the wait is killing me >>

I had I coin that was there for 3 months...agonizing! It came out spectacular though!
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Colonel Jessup could fix that in the bathroom at Long Beach in five minutes! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>nine weeks and come and gone ugh the wait is killing me >>

I had I coin that was there for 3 months...agonizing! It came out spectacular though! >>

Two weeks away from 3 months, it's been 10 Weeks and I'm on the priority list, so they say ...imageimageimage
  • Options
    Keep us posted! Still watching and waiting myself.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh for crust's sake, what's taking so long image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Anything yet? >>

I was wondering the same thing. image >>

11 weeks and still ??
    I hope I scream with joy on the results
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling they will be worth the wait.
    figglehorn
  • Options
    results in Not so good but hey I took a chance

1936 1C Satin USA PR64RD
    1936 5C Satin USA PR64
    1936 10C USA PR65
    1936 25C USA PR65
    1936 50C USA PR63

1937 1C USA PR64RD
    1937 5C USA PR64
    1937 10C USA PR66
    1937 25C USA PR64
    1937 50C USA PR64

Trueviews not released yet
  • Options
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful and well worth the effort imho.

Congratulations.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Congrats , still a special group of coins
  • Options

<< <i>Been in PCGS's Hands Since 4/14, told it takes 4-6 weeks or longer UGH the agony , I'm wearing out the check submission button image

How long did you Submission take and how do you handle the wait and wait and wait ...image

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    image >>

VERY well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They look great!!!!
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not agree. They do not look much better. They are better pictures, but a quick rinse in E-Z-Est would have been better. At least the dimes, quarters, and halfs.
  • Options

The 36 set looked so very nice and original.

Eric
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do not look much better. They are better pictures, but a quick rinse in E-Z-Est would have been better. At least the dimes, quarters, and halfs
    The 36 set looked so very nice and original.

well, I am perplexed with the insistence of collectors to maintain the "Original is best" argument. if it is true that we should care for coins from a posterity perspective why would it not be a good idea to take coins such as these and allow for professional conservation when, to all appearances, that conservation has helped?? the work by PCGS has done a few things --- it has removed contaminants, stabilized the surfaces and improved the overall eye appeal of the coins. to my way of thinking PCGS has done this not in an attempt to raise the grades but to protect the coins. the grades at PR63-64 tell me that there are hairlines and possibly surface friction apparent.

about the "better picture" comment, this strikes me as just plain old sour grapes. certainly the picture quality is better but there are clearly surface contaminants/haze which that isn't visible in the TrueView pictures which was easy to see in the "before" pictures. I think the submitter will be very happy with the results in-hand.

a job well done, kudo's to PCGS.image
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    For me, with the "haze" removed (many original sets look a lot worse hazed over to dust textured greenish yellow etc esp on the 50C), the hairlines and spots are more apparent and have no...context. One the second half is appears some haze wasn't removable. I don't know, "incongruous" surfaces? My .02

Eric
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the True View photo of the 1936 quarter best.
  • Options
    I only have one question? On the 1937 cent were the liquid runs and drips behind Lincolns head and by his nose visible before restoration or only after? They look like a liquid that was blown with air then left to dry. I believe the coins look better conserved well in the conservative way that they were done than completely dipped out to blast white.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump

Now this is an example of well done conservation. Most of the haze was removed, but the coins were not stripped and it appears the finish was not impaired. Unfortunately, several of the coins appear to have hairlines from being handled over the years.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it was well worth the conservation:

I hope the 90 No S cent I submitted for a customer comes out with similar results!!
  • Options

<< <i>I think it was well worth the conservation:

I hope the 90 No S cent I submitted for a customer comes out with similar results!! >>

Ouch -- how did a coin that modern need conservation? Was the proof set stored in a moist basement or something?
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I hope the 90 No S cent I submitted for a customer comes out with similar results!! >>

Ouch -- how did a coin that modern need conservation? Was the proof set stored in a moist basement or something? >>

They needed to reattach the S. image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Ouch -- how did a coin that modern need conservation? Was the proof set stored in a moist basement or something? >>

They needed to reattach the S. image >>

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

They needed to reattach the S. image >>

Heh. I have a 1934-S Peace Dollar that had the S reattached -- PCGS did not like that kind of conservation. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file