Home Precious Metals
Options

Preferable brands of bars?

Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
Is Engelhard worth the extra 10 cents per ounce over NTR, OPM or Sunshine? 100oz bars we are talking about.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me they are worth a small premium but you have to be careful. These are secondary market bars and many are heavily marked up. The big bullion dealers like APMEX will not hand select a nice bar for you and they will not send you a pic of the bar you will be getting. They just grab the first bar off the shelf and it might be really ugly and beat up.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    The only ones on that list that produces COMEX good delivery bars are Engelhard and OPM. Take that for what it's worth. Comex good delivery list
    Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Options

<< <i>The only ones on that list that produces COMEX good delivery bars are Engelhard and OPM. Take that for what it's worth. Comex good delivery list >>

That is interesting. To me anyways.

Especially since I bought OPM a few hours BEFORE I read this. image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're into bars, consider bars that have an automatic build in premium such as PAMP. Also Comex good delivery.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>If you're into bars, consider bars that have an automatic build in premium such as PAMP. Also Comex good delivery. >>

I like bars 'cuz they stack neatly. image

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you're into bars, consider bars that have an automatic build in premium such as PAMP. Also Comex good delivery. >>

Pamp silver bars are for the swank buyer who buys for show, vis a vis the designer handbag, shirt, shoe buyer, if u get me drift...
    Waste of dough, Joe...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Pamp silver bars are for the swank buyer who buys for show, vis a vis the designer handbag, shirt, shoe buyer, if u get me drift...
    Waste of dough, Joe... >>

Good to know. Thanks :-)
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Good to know. Thanks :-) >>

PAMP carries a premium that may be difficult to get back at some future date when it comes time to sell. Buy name brand bars that sell closer to melt---OPM, NTR, Silvertowne, Scottsdale, APMEX, etc.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

PAMP carries a premium that may be difficult to get back at some future date when it comes time to sell. Buy name brand bars that sell closer to melt---OPM, NTR, Silvertowne, Scottsdale, APMEX, etc. >>

image IF a SHTF scenario ever arises, those pretty bars will be traded at the same rate as others.

And you never seem to get the same premium OUT of them as you put IN to them.

I have some fractional Engelhard Prospectors I want to convert into full size bars and the only offers I have gotten are for a straight ounce-for-ounce trade.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think 100 ounce bars are a good buy. When you try to sell them face to face you hear a lot of excuses about why the person doesn't want to pay spot price.

You will hear about how "illiquid" large bars are .

Sure you can send them into APMEX but if you pay to ship and insure them you might wind up with the same net after all is said and done. Only you have to take a check .

If I was going to buy bars I would buy 10 oz bars only. 10 oz bars are the perfect size to sell at any show ,coin shop , ebay , craigslist.

Bars smaller than that make no sense either , 1 oz bars for instance , why bother? You can buy rounds and put them in a tube and they take up less space.

Never restrict your choice of exit strategy. The government is only going to poke its nose into your business more and more . That will restrict your selling options enough as it is.
  • Options
    image with that guy up there.

I love SAE's, I just hate the $2.50 premium they seem to carry right now. Especially when you can get 10oz bars for well under a buck.
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    From what I gather, 100oz size is not as popular as the 10oz size, as a little less easy to sell later while trying to maintain a premium. But 10 cent an ounce does not seem high compared to most Engelhard premiums. Extra premium is subjective, and buying for rarity or collector value is another thing.
    COA
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    10 is as big as I go for bars. I have an NTR 10 and some JM 1ozers. New Englehards and JM are about the same, the extra dime or quarter is for the name and serial number on the new ones, but any of the others listed in this thread are fine.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think 100 ounce bars are a good buy. When you try to sell them face to face you hear a lot of excuses about why the person doesn't want to pay spot price.

You will hear about how "illiquid" large bars are . >>

I'm sure you know that's gobbledygook...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>10 is as big as I go for bars. I have an NTR 10 and some JM 1ozers. New Englehards and JM are about the same, the extra dime or quarter is for the name and serial number on the new ones, but any of the others listed in this thread are fine. >>

What are "New Englehards"? Did you mean Engelhards? They stopped making those in the 1980's so they can't be very new and they do carry a premium.

• Options

<< <i>I don't think 100 ounce bars are a good buy. When you try to sell them face to face you hear a lot of excuses about why the person doesn't want to pay spot price.

Let me know what 100 oz bars that you have. I'm interested in buying any that you might have.image

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>10 is as big as I go for bars. I have an NTR 10 and some JM 1ozers. New Englehards and JM are about the same, the extra dime or quarter is for the name and serial number on the new ones, but any of the others listed in this thread are fine. >>

What are "New Englehards"? Did you mean Engelhards? They stopped making those in the 1980's so they can't be very new and they do carry a premium. >>

He probably meant the 10 oz Johnson Matthey Silver Bar (New, Re-Released) being promoted by JMBullion.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

What are "New Englehards"? Did you mean Engelhards? They stopped making those in the 1980's so they can't be very new and they do carry a premium. >>

He probably meant the 10 oz Johnson Matthey Silver Bar (New, Re-Released) being promoted by JMBullion. >>

The new J-M 10 oz bars just came out and I would expect the premium for these bars will drop over time.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

He probably meant the 10 oz Johnson Matthey Silver Bar (New, Re-Released) being promoted by JMBullion. >>

The new J-M 10 oz bars just came out and I would expect the premium for these bars will drop over time. >>

This, yes, sorry. Extra coffee kinda morning.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I'm sure you know that's gobbledygook... >>

Sure its gobbledygook but if you are a motivated seller it can still hurt you.
    Try moving 100 ounce bars after one of those shocks where silver drops 5$ in a week. Big buyers know about catching falling knives . In a stable market its fine but in an ugly market its poison.

As a stacker if silver was 22 3 weeks ago and now its 20 are you going to buy 100 oz bars if you feel like it might be 18 in a month? Why do that? As a shop why do that? You mark the price down or you pass on them.

Large bars bring emotion into what should be purely logical. There are probably still people sitting on 1000 oz bars from the days of the Hunt Brothers. People that saw prices crash and stay low for decades then watched the price go up and didn't sell and rode it back down. Greed stupidity whatever you want to call it. It's emotion and it shouldn't be part of anyones stacking plan.

Bars are just ugly lumps of metal , the whole concept of a bar for me is that the ugliness of them removes the possibility I can ever get attached to them.

The rarest hand poured low serial numbered recovered from a sunken ship blah blah bar in the world is about as exciting to me as the tootsie rolls I dump out of the cat box every morning.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

PAMP carries a premium that may be difficult to get back at some future date when it comes time to sell. Buy name brand bars that sell closer to melt---OPM, NTR, Silvertowne, Scottsdale, APMEX, etc. >>

PAMP's been around for over 35 years and is the world’s leading bullion brand, with dominant positions in the world’s major precious metals markets. It's possible that their premium over spot may fall at one point in the future, but that has not been the case for 35+ years.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Got my order. All the bars are OPM. I actually like the satin finish on the 100oz best. It would be cool if they offered it on the 10oz and 1oz too.
    Kudos to Provident Metals for a great transaction