Home Sports Talk
Options

Way to go Jerry you IDIOT!!!!!

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
Pass on Johnny Football and stay with Romo the CHOKER!!!!

I was sooooooo excited when they got thru 15 picks and...............................image

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter who your QB is if you can't pass protect.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's threads like this that make me yearn for Axfan. Sooo much potential.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It doesn't matter who your QB is if you can't pass protect. >>

Or if you can't tackle.

Manziel was never considered by the Cowboys with the 16th pick.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im not so sure Manziel will be the QB you think he might be, its not like he is a prototypical QB, sure he could be good but his size might be an issue.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather have seen Jerry and crew address the d-line or secondary but this pick is pretty solid
  • Options
    >>>Manziel was never considered by the Cowboys with the 16th pick.<<<

Well.....he should have been. We are going nowhere but down with Tony "THE CHOKER" Romo!image
  • Options

<< <i>I'd rather have seen Jerry and crew address the d-line or secondary but this pick is pretty solid >>

They would have been better served trading down but I don't think anybody wanted to reach for Manziel or Bridgewater. I see the Browns just traded up. Maybe here's Johnny

MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    I have no love for the Cowboys -- never have -- but I'll try to be objective here. What about their defense? I can see not taking Manziel in the first round, but an O-lineman? How about shoring up that terrible defense? The days of the Dallas "Doomsday" defense seem like ancient history. I really think they need to get back to having a good defense again or it's another 8-8 campaign.
  • Options
    The defense definitely needs to be addressed, no question about that. This pick is solid but the next couple ought to focus on the glaring defensive deficiencies Dallas has.

Only a clueless fan would think Dallas was going to draft Manziel in Round 1.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Jerry let 2 of his best defensive players go and kept an overpaid loser QB...so the ship sailed on having a better D next year.

The QB is the most important player...so why not get a good young one and build around that.

If you really think Romo will ever change and be a winner.....you are the one that is clueless!

He is a proven choker and I don't see him changing now!
  • Options
    Dimeman, your bizarre fixation and emotional rantings about Romo are really rather amusing, actually. You make talk show radio callers sound astute and enlightened.

But don't worry, someday, I'm certain, with or without Romo, Dallas will make it back to the Frozen Bowl. image

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    Pass on Johnny Football and stay with Romo the CHOKER!!!

I am fine with the Cowboys not taking Manziel. Manziel will get injured badly his first year starting because he'll think he's still running away from 1 NFL caliber player and 10 college players. What I am not ok with is how do you take an offensive lineman when you have a terrible defense? Is Jones secretly an Eagles fan?
  • Options

<< <i>next couple ought to focus on the glaring defensive deficiencies Dallas has >>

Next two picks should be safety followed by d-lineman. Lots of candy still left in the store.
  • Options
    grote15 ...... I don't know what your fixation on my spelling and not remembering the correct nick-name to a game played almost 50 years ago, but hey....if it makes you feel good go right ahead.image

As far as Romo goes there are more out there that see him for what he his besides me. But it really doesn't matter. I don't see Dallas going anywhere as long as Jerry owns the team....unless he changes his mindset. When he chased Johnson out as coach and started trying to do everything himself......he started the beginning of the end. He will never get a top coach to come in there as things are. And Garrett is a nothing coach.

So it looks pretty dismal for the Cowboys......sorta like the last 15-20 years of Jerry Ball! image
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    I thought I heard on the telecast yesterday that in the 7 losses the Cowboys had last year in which Romo started the game, he had 17 touchdowns and 3 interceptions.

If that stat is correct, that's no choker.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Johnny FB will wash out quicker than a pair of Levi's
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When ever I see a thread on the Cowboys and Romo I can imagine many Cowboy fans who are "anti Romo" bristling at his name.

I can also imagine these fans, when they observe first hand, in real time, a mistake made by Romo at a crucial moment in a very important game getting enraged and screaming "Romo!!!!!!!!!!!" at the top of his or her lungs (very similar to Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise screaming "Khan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" while enraged at his archnemisis (Luing Signh Khan, played by Ricrado Montalban) in Star Trek II, The Wrath Of Khan).

Then I laugh at the humor of it all.

It would have been interesting to see the Cowboys take Johnny Football at 16 last night. But they did not and instead drafted an offensive lineman. With the lousy state of the Cowboy defense, one would have thought that the team would have drafted a defensive player. Maybe in rounds 2-7.
  • Options

<< <i>I thought I heard on the telecast yesterday that in the 7 losses the Cowboys had last year in which Romo started the game, he had 17 touchdowns and 3 interceptions.

If that stat is correct, that's no choker. >>

Stop bringing up facts and logic. Those have no place here. image

• Options
    Boy O Boy....It's not about stats.....it's about winning games.

It doesn't do any good to throw for 300 yards and 3 TD's and then blow the game at the end like he does so often.

• Options
    The Cowboys have an above average QB and skilled offensive weapons. Their offensive line is a sieve. Their defense is truly offensive.

Summary, their QB is the LEAST of their problems.

The end.

MJ
  • Options

<< <i>The Cowboys have an above average QB and skilled offensive weapons. Their offensive line is a sieve. Their defense is truly offensive.

Summary, their QB is the LEAST of their problems.

The end.

MJ >>

Such sound reasoning has no place in Dimeman's fixation with Romo, the man he loves to hate.

• Options
    >>>Such sound reasoning has no place in Dimeman's fixation with Romo, the man he loves to hate. <<<

Hey, it's nothing personal. I would feel the same way about any Cowboy QB with Tony's losing ways!

I'm not the only fan that feels this way. Go out to NFL.com where the fans replied about the whole Romo thing. I didn't do a count, but it was way way more that feel like me than those who like Rome.

I will say the BIGGEST problem besides Romo is Jerry Jones! I don't see things getting better in Dallas until Jerry is gone UNLESS he becomes a true owner and lets the people under him do their jobs. But with his reputation how will Dallas ever get a top head coach??

I love the Cowboys and I am not a fair weather fan or I would have dumped them a long time ago! I still have hopes of more SB wins, but at 66....I don't know! Jerry is older than me.....so maybe there is hope.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought I heard on the telecast yesterday that in the 7 losses the Cowboys had last year in which Romo started the game, he had 17 touchdowns and 3 interceptions.

If that stat is correct, that's no choker. >>

If those 3 interceptions were touchdowns maybe the choker wouldn't have lost all seven of those games.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    >>>If those 3 interceptions were touchdowns maybe the choker wouldn't have lost all seven of those games.<<<

Very good class......I know for a fact that 1 lead to a winning FG...the Denver game.
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Stick with Romo, Dimeman. He will get you there one day.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think that Johnny Football's height at a mere 6 feet will make him an ineffective qb. I suspect he'll get his bell rung a few times while scrambling to throw the ball.

Biggest problem IMO with Dallas is the owner.

Romo, well, letting Carrie Underwood slip through his fingers was his biggest fumble of all.
  • Options
    >>>I would think that Johnny Football's height at a mere 6 feet will make him an ineffective qb. I suspect he'll get his bell rung a few times while scrambling to throw the ball.<<<

Remember a guy named Doug Flutie??? He was 5'9" 180lbs. Read up on him.image
  • Options
    I just read a statement by Jerry Jones on why he didn't pick Johnny Football. I laughed so hard I cried....can just now type.

He said he probably wouldn't fit in behind an "accomplished" qb! Oh My......WHAT EXACTLY HAS ROMO ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Jerry needs to back off his meds....seriously!!

It's a good thing I didn't have food or drink in my mouth......my computer would be ruined! Whew I hurt from laughing.

He also said and this is very sad for all Cowboy fans....Romo is our qb for the next 6, 7 or so years! ARGH!!!

That means it will be at least 2021 before we have a chance of being good!image
  • Options

<< <i>>>>I would think that Johnny Football's height at a mere 6 feet will make him an ineffective qb. I suspect he'll get his bell rung a few times while scrambling to throw the ball.<<<

Remember a guy named Doug Flutie??? He was 5'9" 180lbs. Read up on him.image >>

Since you consider winning to be the true barometer of a QB's value, while you're reading up on Flutie, check and see how many playoff victories he had...HINT: it's even lower than Romo's number. image

• Options
    You better read the WHOLE story on Flutie.image
  • Options

<< <i>You better read the WHOLE story on Flutie.image >>

I'm referring to his performance as an NFL QB, the highest level of play, which was mediocre at best and overhyped due to one Hail Mary pass to Phelan in college and a Buffalo fan base that was desperate for anything to root for. If you think Doug Flutie was even half as good as Tony Romo, you are truly delusional.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You better read the WHOLE story on Flutie.image >>

I'm referring to his performance as an NFL QB, the highest level of play, which was mediocre at best and overhyped due to one Hail Mary pass to Phelan in college and a Buffalo fan base that was desperate for anything to root for. If you think Doug Flutie was even half as good as Tony Romo, you are truly delusional. >>

Ah the hail flutie game. That pass to Phelan killed me.
  • Options
    I would take Flutie in his prime over Romo in a heartbeat! And I'm not basing that on the hail mary pass!
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, Flutie throws ONE very lucky pass and you think he's better than Romo? Really?

If he was so good, why did he spend so much time in the CFL? 5' 9" doomed him to not excel anywhere in football. Playing his last year...2005...with the Patriots was a gift from Kraft IMO. Perhaps it's you that needs to read his story.

Being from Boston, I like Flutie as a person, but as a pro football qb, not so much. I will say that for some odd reason, he seems to snag more than his fair share of foul balls at Fenway...so says Remy and Orsillo.
  • Options

<< <i>So, Flutie throws ONE very lucky pass and you think he's better than Romo? Really?

If he was so good, why did he spend so much time in the CFL? 5' 9" doomed him to not excel anywhere in football. Playing his last year...2005...with the Patriots was a gift from Kraft IMO. Perhaps it's you that needs to read his story.

Being from Boston, I like Flutie as a person, but as a pro football qb, not so much. I will say that for some odd reason, he seems to snag more than his fair share of foul balls at Fenway...so says Remy and Orsillo. >>

+1

A great media story, sure, created in part to appeal to casual fans like Dimeman, but a quality NFL (read, NOT CFL) QB? Sorry.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always felt like a badass after a bowl of these...

• Options
    corncobbcorncobb Posts: 516
    I try to stay out of most of Dimeman's ridiculous "Romo Hate" Threads, but I had to comment here on this latest insanity.

Im a huge Cowboy fan myself and yes there have been some tough loses with Romo in the past years. BUT....

You need to check into a Mental institution dimeman! Let me get this correct, did you say the Cowboys should have went for the overhyped undersized
    Manziel? With the thought of replacing Romo with him? What planet are you on? Tony Romo is top five in the NFL, Johnny Football likely won't even survive
    season one, let alone endure long enough to EVER develope into anything resembling a Top 5 NFL QB.

Doug Flutie? Are you Freaking for real!!!!? You follow up the most idiotic idea ever of replacing your Top 5 NFL QB with Johnny Manziel, to trading him for

DOUG FLUTIE!!? And your calling Jerry an idiot?

Romo has indeed made some bad decissions, But Im one Cowboy Fan that still believes Romo with the right players and team around him has as good a chance at
    making a chamionship as ANY QB currently in the NFL.

So let me get this straight again...... Your going to replace Tony Romo with Johnny Manziel or ......... Doug Flutie!? Wait... let me say that again because it just seems so

bizzare even saying it........... Doug Flutie??????

• Options
    I can understand DIMEMAN's frustration with the Cowboys on the whole. I am also a diehard Cowboys fan and long for a return of the 70's and 90's powerhouses. It is also true that the QB gets an inordinate share of the glory/blame for a team's success. However, football success relies on the coordinated efforts of all teammates, more so than baseball, basketball or hockey. In basketball, a player (Jordan, Magic, Dr. J, Durant, James, Kobe etc) can get a rebound at one end, dribble down court and score and then turn around make a steal a score again without another teammate touching the ball. Same can be said of hockey with the great ones getting the puck, moving down the ice and scoring unassisted. In baseball, it simply takes a batter in the box connecting to drive in a run. I know these are simplified scenarios, but very few QB's have handed off to themselves, blocked for themselves or caught their own passes for scores. What would Jerry Rice's stats look like if he did not play with Montana or Young? How many rushing yards would Emmitt have had if he ran behind any other offensive line in football? How many super Bowl rings would Bradshaw have if he didnt share a locker room with the Steel Curtain? A quarterback can only control so many aspects of the final score. Last time I watched, most quarterbacks were 15 yards off the field of play while the other team had the ball.

Romo cannot make tackles or deflect passes or sack the opposing quarterback. He needs to have his defense hold up their part of the deal.

So while you may long for a Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Manning or even Manziel, you have to digest the hard fact that the majority of the blame for the Cowboy's dismal run with Romo as the QB, has been a completely inept defense. Anything short of that is a knock on your football IQ.
  • Options

<< <i>I would take Flutie in his prime over Romo in a heartbeat! And I'm not basing that on the hail mary pass! >>

Flutie had a prime?

MJ
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    Good draft by the Cowboys, the only pick I questioned was the LB in the 4th round. For former RB he doesn't seem to possess a ton of speed and isn't the type of athlete you would expect from someone who arrived at Iowa to play that position.

The defense needed addressed but it would of been a reach to select a player from that side of the ball when Martian was available. The Cowboys got a player that many had rated as a top 10 player at #16. The trade up for Lawrence was a good move because the Cowboys got the RE they wanted and a player who primarily received 1st round grades. IMO the Cowboys got value with a large majority of their picks and a number of players who will contribute immediately. If there were any questions on Romo's health then the Cowboys probably would of gone with a QB but he must be progressing well.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    In some Cowboys fans' eyes, Romo will be a loser until he wins the Super Bowl, no matter what else he does. They forced Don Meredith into an early retirement, they bashed Craig Morton, and they hounded Danny White. Tony Romo is just the latest. And when he retires, whoever is the lucky guy that takes over... if he doesn't win the Super Bowl, look out! Is Romo in the calibre of Brady, Manning, Brees, and Rodgers? No. But, is he good enough to win the Super Bowl on the right team? I absolutely think so. If the 49ers or Patriots were to lose their qb in training camp and Jerry offered Romo to them at the right price, would they jump at it? You better believe they would.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    >>>Flutie had a prime? <<<

He most certainly did. He set all kinds of records and won the Canadian SB 3 times. And before you say that doesn't count and the CFL is nothing you had better rethink that idea.

Besides if Romo was to play in the CFL he would choke and blow games there too!

He is just a loser! There are a FEW people out here who try to defend him by saying "look at his stats" or "if he had a defense" well "if pigs had wings they could fly"!!!!

The mistakes he makes and the y way he blows games has nothing to do with the defense.

You Romo lovers can have his sorry arse.......he will never take the Cowboys to a Super Bowl......NEVER......PERIOD!!!!!! The odds you could on that at Vegas would make you a billionaire!
  • Options
    And before you say that doesn't count and the CFL is nothing you had better rethink that idea.

Come on DIMEMAN, exactly how should we rethink the CFL? Who played there? Castoffs and never played at all in the NFLer's. Look at the great Herschel Walker from the USFL that did actually produce several Hall of Famers and other stars as well. These were his numbers in the USFL averaged over a 3 year period 1850 yds/season, 5 yds/carry and 18 tds/season. These are his NFL numbers over 9 full years 900 yds/season, 4.2 yds/carry and just under 7 tds/season

Flutie had 1 solid year in the NFL in 1994 and even then he threw more interceptions than touchdowns.

The highest starting salaries of CFL players are in the 4 - $500,000/yr. A year!!!!!!! Which is roughly 40% of what Flacco makes in a single game. So you tell me which NFL caliber talent is going to play in the CFL ----- answer - nobody by their own accord.

If you truly think the CFL "counts" when comparing those players to NFL players, then you are the one who needs to rethink that idea.

You have really sent me spinning now. I'm not sure which argument of yours makes less sense Romo being the biggest problem on the Cowboys or the CFL being comparable to the NFL.
  • Options
    The CFL is full of guys not good enough to make it in the NFL.

Sure there are some exceptions every once in awhile ( Warren Moon and Jeff Garcia come to mind) but on a whole most are not up to the talent level displayed by NFL players. Flutie was good in the CFL against inferior talent but in the NFL, not so much.
  • Options
    LB - Sorry to send you spinning.image I'm not saying the CFL is as good as the NFL. I say you can't discount Fluties skill because it was in the CFL.

We will just have to agree to disagree on Romo. To me and lots of others he has proven to be a choker. Most of his defenders are Cowboy haters and are glad he is a Cowboy. Just like I wish he was an Eagle or Redskin.

I use to always start the season with hope (since the dismal years started after Aikman), but this year I see no hope.

I remember back when making the playoffs was automatic. Those days have long been gone, and dismal years will follow as long as Romo is qb. makes me puke to think about it!
  • Options

<< <i> I'm not saying the CFL is as good as the NFL. I say you can't discount Fluties skill because it was in the CFL. >>

I think you just counterdicted yourself and cemented the answer all in one line. LOL

The reason he was playing in the CFL was because that WAS his skill level.

As a Cowboy Fan (Non hater) I believe Romo can have succsess and win. Short of the top 5 QB's in the NFL, there's nobody I would trade him for.

Are you seriously still trying to make a case for Doug Flutie? SERIOUSLY DOUG FLUTIE?
  • Options
    >>>Are you seriously still trying to make a case for Doug Flutie? SERIOUSLY DOUG FLUTIE?<<<

My main case for Flutie was in response to the Johnny Football bashing because of his hight.

Flutie was shorter than Johnny and could play.
  • Options
    Corncobb, stick around for a while and you will ultimately get used to Dimeman's confounding analysis and hyperbolic rantings, lol.. image

• Options

<< <i>>>>Are you seriously still trying to make a case for Doug Flutie? SERIOUSLY DOUG FLUTIE?<<<

My main case for Flutie was in response to the Johnny Football bashing because of his hight.

Flutie was shorter than Johnny and could play. >>

Exactly. He couldn't play in the NFL primarily because of his height. I'm so confused

MJ
  • Options
    While I certain can understand Dimeman's Frustration as a Cowboy fan and maybe thats what's causing his irrational thinking
    in laying it all on the QB. I will say one thing, I agree with Dimeman(oh god!) That Romo's Play at the end, did directly cause that Loss to the Broncos.

Even so I still believe he can mature and over come those mental lapses and be a chamionship caliber QB. The Cowboys are like the Yankees, very hated by
    non Fans of the team(Mainly because their teams have lost to them so many times in NFL history)

Obviously the Defensive woes are a big issue, The other arguement that Romo wouldn't even have been in that situation in the Bronco game had their
    Defense not given up over 50 points. I can see that argument too. your QB throws 5-6 TDS and 500 yrds and you still lose?

Then you got these self-centered egos like Dez Bryant throwing temper tantrums on the field like a 10 year old that Romo has to deal with as well.

Just sayin