Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

$3 pieces

YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am intrigued by $3 gold pieces, but hear they are not that popular among collectors or, at least, out of favor.
Who among you collect them?
Please give me your thoughts on the series.
Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whats not to like? The obverse was used to make the Indian Cent, with a wardrobe change. The reverse was used for the Flying Eagle cent.

I think most collectors try and get only one example though. It is a very tough set to attempt by date.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always buy them slabbed. There are a lot of high quality counterfeits.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    When I first got back into the hobby, I won a nice one cheaply, but someone tried to personalize it with a sharp object. Because of its uniqueness, I'm keeping it until I tire of it.
    Paul
  • Options

<< <i>Whats not to like? The obverse was used to make the Indian Cent, with a wardrobe change. The reverse was used for the Flying Eagle cent.

I think most collectors try and get only one example though. It is a very tough set to attempt by date. >>

Rick,
    Thanks for the cool history lesson. I did not know that but it makes perfect sense.
    I am looking at a better date one that would be super for my collection, but I am having trouble pulling the trigger because it is more money than I have ever spent on a single coin before.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    goldbuggoldbug Posts: 33 ✭✭
    I'm currently putting a set in AU together (20 plus years). This is my absolute favorite coin series. Get the Doug Winter/ QDB book. Best reference out there. You will have no problems finding examples of each date if you're not very fussy, but if you desire original, mark free, with a nice strike like myself then it's another ballgame entirely. Most collectors just don't realize how difficult it is to find the top survivors in any grade level. Good luck

Bill
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Center piece of the 12 piece gold type set. image
    imageimage

My PCGS AU58.
  • Options
    Nice looking coin!
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like them. they are a good size, and the design is struck much better than the similar looking type 3 $1 design. but, i only have one. thanks cro!

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Decades ago I bought an 1870 in VF (slabbed).

I like to think of it as an 1870-S with missing mint mark. image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Rick....run pictures of the models!
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like them, must have if you're a type collector. Here's an old San Francisco piece I bought a few years back, if coins could talk.

.image
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I love the $3 Gold. However I settled for an 1849 & 1889 $1 Gold - same obverse but cheaper - and smaller. image
  • Options
    mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    Mine

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • Options
    GeorgeKelloggGeorgeKellogg Posts: 1,251 ✭✭
    I rather like "odd ball" denominations such as the $3 gold piece. I would like to own an 1854-D $3 for my Dahlonega set, but so far I haven't found one that was the right fit.

I only own one $3 piece at present, this 1871 piece that was once owned by Virgil Brand -- a resident of Chicago. With a mintage of 1,300 -- struck the year of the Great Chicago Fire -- and owned by an iconic collector of the 20th Century, I was drawn to this $3 type coin. The images are courtesy of PCGS CoinFacts.

"Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recently thought about starting a thread on this series as we picked up a 1854 PCGS AU53 piece from the CSNS show. We saw the coin valued at $1850 in a Coin World magazine we picked up free at the show. We paid only $1250. Another dealer had a AU58 priced at $1475. The mag had a MS60 at $2400. Haven't quite put my finger on it why there's such a discrepancy between the magazine and dealer's sell prices.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently sold my one and only "threeagle".

Easily the worst one in this thread, but despite its scary appearance, it was a nice piece on my hat for a while.

And it only cost me 160 bucks, a few years back. You can't say that about the purdier ones here. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭
    I own two, both SF pieces. I really like the design and the size, but they seem expensive given the pops and the wear/strike is hard to read- the coins look far more worn than the grades would imply.

Here's one of mine. I'm surprised it's considered an XF45, frankly. PS- the date logotype on every 1857-S $3 I've seen is this shallow. I don't know how many die pairs there were.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's not to like is the prices. Three Dollar Gold Pieces have been expensive for a long time. Back in "the good old days" counterfeits were another BIG concern. I used to know a dealer, who has since passed on, who thought they were "ugly." image

At any rate here's my three coin collection, which will probably never get larger.

1854 "Small '3 DOLLARS' type"

imageimage

1854-D - The only Dahlonega mint Three Dollar Gold, which makes it a cool coin.

imageimage

And an 1887, which actually a better date, although few people notice. This is my "Large '3 DOLLARS' type"

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

1854-D - The only Dahlonega mint Three Dollar Gold, which makes it a cool coin.

imageimage >>

Bill, that is a great coin, and a pricey one at that. All Dahlonega Threes were minted on a single day in late July 1854. Total mintage for the day was 1120. Arguably the Dahlonega Three is the King of Southern Gold.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    That 1887 is dreamy.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone ever explained (based on solid documentation) why the 3$ denomination came about? I've heard that it was so someone could buy a sheet of 3 cent stamps without change but that seems like an after the fact explanation. It's just strange, as the quarter eagles were in widespread use.

I bought this sort of grungy one years back as a type coin:

• Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Yorkshireman: <<I am intrigued by $3 gold pieces, but hear they are not that popular among collectors or, at least, out of favor.>>

The % of gold coin collectors who favor Threes may be greater in the future. These could be good values now.

Yorkshireman: <<Please give me your thoughts on the series.>>

I wrote six articles on truly rare gold coins that cost less than $5000 each. There are a substantial number of rare Threes that are available for less than $5000 each. For a gold coin collector who is focused on rarity and does not have a vast fortune to spend, a set of Threes may be an excellent choice.

Rare Gold Coins under $5000 each, Part 6: Three Dollar Gold Coins

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I recently sold my one and only "threeagle".

Easily the worst one in this thread, but despite its scary appearance, it was a nice piece on my hat for a while.

And it only cost me 160 bucks, a few years back. You can't say that about the purdier ones here. image

image >>

Whoever put a hole in that coin should be taken out back and flogged.
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    My humble 1869 (low mintage, PL fields)...

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the process of acquiring one.

It's an 1854 and in one of those 'self-slabber' NNC, graded as an ms62.

I haven't seen it yet and will only guess that it's about an au50 and hopefully problem free.

I'll be very diligent in my examination of it and will only buy it if the price is cheap as a problem free accurately graded one.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy them if in the correct holder. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's some pretty nice coins in this thread. Here's my single example which sort of found me. I see it as an AU63.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what's wrong, Lakesammman, couldn't get one in a Regency? image
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be a good idea for the Mint to discontinue $5 gold commems and begin striking $3 ones instead. If the dimensions and metal content of the classic $3 gold were retained, the metal value at today's prices would be reduced from about $300 to $180, making them more affordable for the average collector. The diameter of the coin would shrink only slightly, from 21.6 mm to 20.5 mm, which would still leave plenty of room for attractive designs.

Write your congressman! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I recently sold my one and only "threeagle".

image >>

Whoever put a hole in that coin should be taken out back and flogged. >>

Nah- I don't fault the person who holed it 150 years ago. But I'm rather miffed at the person who saw fit to obliterate the counterstamp on the obverse, which could have been quite interesting. All in all, a much-abused coin. I sold it earlier this year, but it enjoyed front and center status on my hat for some time.

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder whats the story. Anyone care to post their "story".

I think it was given to a Confederate soldiers sweetheart to keep during the war. She put the hole in it and wore it though most of the war. It had his name and CSA on the coin. It was stolen by a Union soldier in Sherman's army in Atlanta on October 16, 1864. (150 years ago today). Not wanting a CSA soldier's name inscribed on the coin, it was chiseled off.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought I would post my $3 gold. I bought this coin from Bob Harwell back in 2000. One of the few full strike 54-D's

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And here is my single $3 gold, a proof.

Tom

• Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone ever explained (based on solid documentation) why the 3$ denomination came about? I've heard that it was so someone could buy a sheet of 3 cent stamps without change but that seems like an after the fact explanation. It's just strange, as the quarter eagles were in widespread use. >>

Kaz: from the man himself, RWB.

<< <i>Yes. Look in the Autumn 2013 (issue #4) of the Journal of Numismatic Research for the article "Purpose of the $3 Gold Coin" page 26. (Sorry, nothing to do with stamps.) You can borrow a copy from the ANA Library or buy from Wizard Coin Supply - both printed and electronic versions are available. >>

• Options

<< <i>And here is my single $3 gold, a proof.

image >>

Thanks, TPRC, for keeping my thread alive with such a beautiful coin!
    I love the look of proof gold,
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the $3 princess coins! Personally, I would only buy them in graded that are CACd. They are very attractive coins with a great amount of sex appeal to them. Proof $3 are especially attractive as well. One day I would love to put a set together of princesses but work on too many things now a days!

Easton Collection
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Has anyone ever explained (based on solid documentation) why the 3$ denomination came about? I've heard that it was so someone could buy a sheet of 3 cent stamps without change but that seems like an after the fact explanation. It's just strange, as the quarter eagles were in widespread use. >>

Kaz: from the man himself, RWB.

<< <i>Yes. Look in the Autumn 2013 (issue #4) of the Journal of Numismatic Research for the article "Purpose of the $3 Gold Coin" page 26. (Sorry, nothing to do with stamps.) You can borrow a copy from the ANA Library or buy from Wizard Coin Supply - both printed and electronic versions are available. >>

>>

Thanks!
  • Options
    OK, so I bought the e version of the issue of the Journal of Numismatic Research containing an article on the origins of the $3 gold piece.
    Based on theories of commerce at the time, it was felt that adding a $3 denomination to the existing gold coinage would greatly increase the number of transactions that could be completed with a minimum of change. This would probably have worked if the QE was eliminated and a $2 coin issued in its place, but people were used to denominations of gold that were divisible into 5 or 10 or 100 and the $3 gold piece remained an odd duck that never caught on.
    Another reason for issuing a $3 coin was that a myriad of small state banks were issuing notes in 1,2,and 3 dollar denominations, sometimes with questionable backing. It was thought that a 3 dollar coin, in specie, would drive out the dubious paper bills.
    Interestingly, there is no record of stamp purchases as a rationale for the creation of this coin. The Post Office was looking for large purchases of stamps by businesses and for amounts over $50 they offered a 10% discount. No place for a $3 coin there.
    It seems that a couple of congressmen and some transaction theorists at the Smithsonian were the drivers behind the bill to introduce the $3 gold piece. The financial sector wasn't consulted and there was no debate to speak of when the bill passed.
    Jewelers, however, were quite happy in the long run to mount these pieces as jewelry for the ladies, which is where large numbers of them wound up.

Thanks to Roger Burdette for permission to summarize/paraphrase his article, any mistakes or misinterpretations of his writing are mine!
  • Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update, Kaz.

I bought one several years back and agree that it is a really cool coin. I think that a complete set is out of the question for me for the time being, however.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file