Home Metal Detecting
Options

May 7, 2014: Here's the American Silver!! Barber dime and 3¢ piece!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
Got back to the Canadian silver site. Had about an hour and a half so figured it was worth a quick hunt. First signal was a solid dime signal. Out popped a silver coin. Could it be another Canadian? Nope, this site finally spit out American silver - 1900 Barber dime! Things were slow for a while and managed an 1891 IHC, a small flat button, and a "Chelmsford" lead seal. Towards the end of the hunt a loud foil-ish signal came up. Figuring it was just another piece of a junk wanted to clear it out for later. But rather than a piece of shredded soda can, a small silver disc came out. WHAT? Could rule out a half dime, and probably Canadian too. The only thing it could be is a... 3 cent silver? YES! I did find one in the early 90s, but it was stolen. This is a wonderful treat to replace the one that was taken. Never thought another one would come up. 1852! Quite an outlier at this place as most coins were late 1800s, early 1900s. HH all!

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭✭
    That Barber dime has some great detail. My ambition for this year is to find my first Barber dime.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's amazing that more 3 centers weren't lost as small as they are. Great hunt. Do these sites just follow you around.image
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is an awesome site.... I have no doubt there is more silver there.... wonder what the history is..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Now those are some nice pickups! image
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been very lucky to have had the opportunity to hunt some great sites over the years and I have found an amazing array of items but I've never found a three cent silver.

Congratulations!
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work.
    Lots of meat left on the Barber.image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    Bayard, that is a good goal to shoot for. Be sure to keep us posted on your ventures.

This three center is going into the safe deposit box so no one can take it. Getting robbed certainly makes you think differently about displaying items. You see some people with big displays in their living rooms but that's just screaming "take me".

The barber is a bit blurry but it does have a full liberty. Can anyone guess a grade from those grainy photos?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to grade from even great photographs...but looks around VF20-25...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont care for the 3 centers but that one ya got there is interesting. nice finds image
  • Options

<< <i>i dont care for the 3 centers but that one ya got there is interesting. nice finds image >>

Thanks! It kind of looks like a die crack from the I in united to the star. Can anyine else see that?

Ricko, I will have to take another look but that sounds like a reasonable estimate
  • Options
    Hmmm the whole planchet may actually be cracked...guess the plow was a little rough with it
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the great silvers! image

A 3-cent silver is a very rare find indeed!
    Looks like you're having a great start to the year image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    Great finds and meat left on both the Barber and the trime! Congrats! image
  • Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    Great finds! I found a 3 cent nickel a few months ago and it happened just like you mentioned. I got a 12vdi and thought I was digging a piece of can slaw. I figured I'd get it out of the ground so I wouldn't find it again later. I was having trouble locating it in the hole and finally found the tiny little coin.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great score! I'd rather find a 3cs than a Morgan dollar.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.