Home U.S. Coin Forum

Interesting possible So-Called Dollar by Herter

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
A "Herter's Dubill Dollar," in silver. I published an article about these in COINage a year or two back.

linky

TD
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those of you who are not familiar with the name Herter's was a mail order catalog retailer based in Waseca, Minnesota.

Out of business for more than 3 decades they were once a major player in the sporting firearms and reloading market.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a striking obverse portrait even in such worn condition. In your opinion, how's the asking price?
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to get their catalog when I was in my teens. bought some fishing stuff from them.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting possible So-Called Dollar by Herter

wouldn't it be a store card or advertising token??
  • ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat token...thanks for posting it. I used to love getting the Herter's catalog...they had lots of great fishing equipment that I could have bought had I had the $!

K
    ANA LM
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool.... never knew they had store tokens.... Cheers, RickO
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would guess that they were redeemable in the store for a dollar, as were certain so-called dollars.
    It is silver.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    isn't it sort of a requirement for inclusion that a medal commemorate a noteworthy public event of some kind??
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is truly awful.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭
    My Dad was a Herter's fan when I was a kid, and enjoyed reading Herter's "Guides" in the 1970's. Thanks for the heads-up on the.... whatever it is (!)

<< <i>isn't it sort of a requirement for inclusion that a medal commemorate a noteworthy public event of some kind?? >>

Well, about 10% of the original book had no business being in there, so what's one more???

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is a striking obverse portrait even in such worn condition. In your opinion, how's the asking price? >>

It just sold for $54.99 + $3.90 shipping

Pretty cool history on Herter's and it's great they issued this piece.

By the way, the portrait on the piece is Herter's mother. It is copied from a photograph of her that appears in one of Herter's books.

<< <i>By the way, the portrait on the piece is Herter's mother. It is copied from a photograph of her that appears in one of Herter's books. >>

Good note Tom. I just learned his parents were Edward Otto and Margaret McLinn Herter (maiden name Sommerstad) from your 2011 GenForum post and the subsequent reply. Good information for George's Wikipedia page.
    Somebody should write a book about this guy.
    Well, about 10% of the original book had no business being in there, so what's one more???

I can't speak to a percentage but I agree with the line of thought that perhaps some shouldn't be included, they tend to violate the guidelines laid out by Mssrs. Hibler-Kappen. as for the "what's one more" portion of your statement I would point you to at least one thread I started which was a rant against all the Unlisted So-Called Dollar listings at eBay. more listings is not a good thing, perhaps a more strict adherence to the original guidelines would be a better place to start.
    If anybody would like a copy of the manuscript for the article that I published on Herter, drop an email to my Captain Henway email address and I will copy it to you.

TD
    There is a new, sealed Herter's Dubill Dollar coin on the bay now for $77.77.

Nice to see these in original packaging. Could be interesting to get this and have ATS certify it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file