Home Metal Detecting
Options

May 3, 2014: 6 IHCs, V nickel, and hearbreaker of a ring

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭✭
Got back out the same place as the other recent hunts. Started out with a V nickel, then got some IHCs spread out throughout the day. Unfortunately they're mostly toast as you can see. I think one is 1892, another may be 187?, but at least they all could be identified. Finally got a new coin at this site too, a zincoln. Toward the end of the hunt I could see the shimmer of gold out of the plug. Could it be a gold ring??? After picking it up, it was clear it was only plated. The inside is still relatively full of the plating. Looks to be 100 or so years old. Wonder if the ring was sold as plated, or if it was sold in a shady manner. HH all! As a reminder, put your sunblock on!

for a second, that dog thing looked gold too! Looks like it was a topper to something because there's a hole at the bottom. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice finds.... I like that 'dog thing'....no idea what it was 'topping'...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    nice finds!
    Plated rings are annoying! image

the dgg thing might be part of a dog whistle? If you put old dog whistle into google images a few similar looking ones show up when you scroll down a bit

-Z
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    The "dog thing" may be the head of a stick pin.