Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help needed

Not sure what this is but on several of my Commerative Dollar I am developing a light colored ring on the outer side of the coins. My coins have never been out of the original government capsules they are in..Also stored in a safe or deposit box at the bank. They do not look like milk spots I have seen on other coins, but couls this be early tarnishing ??? All are in the 1980 and 1990 years. I am new to this but loving it so far....Thanks Out Door Dan
Out Door Dan

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pictures?

What color(s)?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    I am at work now,,then I have to try and figure out how to add a pic,,Thanks
    Out Door Dan
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope I'm way off base, but it sounds like the early stages of tarnishing. This can be from a number of sources, including the packaging material, temperature, and humidity of the environment. The coin below
    was in an old PCI holder and some say it was the ink on the label that made this toning occur. Most Silver Eagles in PCI holders eventually end up with some level of toning on them. The silver eagles are 99% pure
    silver, and thus more susceptible to their environment. I'm guessing that your commems are also 99% silver.
  • Options
    We can walk you through adding pictures.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Thank you very much men,,,I will try and get some pics tomorow if I can..The Comm are 90% silver that I know of.
    Out Door Dan
  • Options
    I know you probably aren't home yet...

but this is my first time trying out tinypic.com
    (as recommended by one of our coin photographers as being good)

So I'm going to test the tinypic.com site.

Here is a counterfeit coin in a counterfeit holder

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know you probably aren't home yet...

but this is my first time trying out tinypic.com
    (as recommended by one of our coin photographers as being good)

So I'm going to test the tinypic.com site.

Here is a counterfeit coin in a counterfeit holder >>

How is this relevant?
    Lance.
  • Options
    I had to educate myself with my first use of that site.

I'm ready to train..... image

It looked easier to use than photobucket and it is easier.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like early stage tarnish....need pictures to be sure...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    camera phone pictures should be fine

you can gently open the capsules with a box cutter and keep the coin on half of the capsule for handling. i.e. to keep from touching the coin, only take off the top of the capsule. if you need to turn it over, place to capsule lid on top without closing it, carefully flip it over and lift off the bottom of the capsule. handle only the capsule. The capsules are not vacuum sealed anyway.

below are instructions for using tinypic.com

• Options
    Step 1:

Click the browse button to find the picture on your computer

step 2:

Look around on your computer to find the picture, select the picture (top red arrow) and click open (bottom red arrow)

step 3:

Top red arrow - optional key words that describe the picture

Bottom red arrow - click to transfer the picture from your computer to the tinypic.com site

Step 4a and 4b are performed the first time you use tinypic.com for each browser on your computer (i.e. if you use a different browser, you'll have to do it again). If you upload a lot at once, I think it asks you again after every 5th upload.

step 4a:

It wants you to click "Play" to watch a video - part of the way through it will show you the code to enter to prove you are human and not a computer program.

step 4b:

The code is under the video. Enter it in the box and click on "Upload Now"

step 5:

See the words "IMG code for Forums & Message boards" --- that stuff under it starting with [IMG]http://blahblahblah is the necessary stuff for the forum. Just highlight it all and copy it.

Step 6: Paste that stuff from Step 5 into a post here -- you're done. Post the message and the picture should appear here.

again, if you keep using the same browser, it should recognize you and not make you watch the video in steps 4a and 4b if you do one every so often, and after every 5th if you upload a lot(I think). So, further picture uploads will be less trouble.

• Options
    Thanks MsM.
    I'll give this a shot later tonight.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file