Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Recent Pick-Up: '75 Raw Brett RC (Opinions Wanted)

Picked up a 2nd set today (more on this later) and wanted your opinions on this card and its grade as I might submit it with the 15 "free" submissions I have coming. As you can see, it has three print defects/fisheyes near "Royals" and a tiny black mark back. I checked my other '75s and noticed a couple others with a dark mark back. Don't think its a pen mark but I could be wrong, seems like an illogical place to put one not to mention it is not a "pinpoint" mark typical of a pen but instead a bit more oval. LMK what you think this card might grade and whether or not a similar mark like this is common with 75s. Thanks! -Pat

Comments

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    That is a beautiful card. I fear a PD though.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    Centering is a gem but I think you are in for an MK qualifier on an 8 - never seen 9 MK but I guess it's possible.
    From a value standpoint a qualifier on a 9 won't far exceed value raw so if it were me I'd keep it raw.
    Beautiful card though. Let's see more of the set.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Unsure about the mark on back, but I think it's got a great shot at a 9 but would likely come with a "(PD)" notation because of the marks around "ROYALS" up top on front.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    Okay, keep the comments on the Brett. In the meantime, another quality card from this set....Very slight tilt.

• Options
    Note: The bottom left "scratch" on sleeve, not card (re: Morgan)
  • Options
    Are you selling any raw? If so, I'm interested.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Brett = 9. Fantastic centering.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brett 8.5

morgan at least a 9
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those 2 are beauties. Just an fyi, if you don't grade cards often psa is pretty tough on 75's. Now that I got that disclaimer out of the way, IMO both of those cards have legit shots at 9.
    I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    i've sent my fair share of 9s in and gotten 7s and 8s back. i am one of those low volume 75 collectors i guess. IMO, i would send the brett just given the potential upside of an 8 or a 9 but don't be surprised if you get a qualifier. the morgan, a card that sells 40-60 bucks in a 9, has the slight tilt and one or two scratches in the lower left. the morgan is a high pop 9. however i think you may end up with a wasted free sub on that card. both cards are beautiful though and as raw cards on elite! good luck either way. i just love threads with raw 75s!
  • Options
    Thanks for everyone's replies so far, means a lot. Another solid card, Lynn RC:

• Options
    Killebrew:

• Options
    Rollie:

• Options
    Yount, very sharp but o/c. Any shot at an "8"?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yount, very sharp but o/c. Any shot at an "8"? >>

Given the iconic status and likely heavy scrutinization, I'd say a 7 is much more likely, but a 10-15% chance at an 8.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Brett = 8
    Morgan = 9
    Lynn = 8
    Killebrew = 8
    Rollie = 7

The Yount is off centered and has some corner issues. I'd say that's a 7 as well

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I think the brett gets an 8
    It won't get PD, cuz fisheyes don't get pd - they just drag down the surface grade so it should get an 8.
    The spot on the back won't affect it too much
  • Options
    Any chance of a "9" here?

• Options
    Esquire,
    I agree with you. The fisheyes on the roayals..I've seen gorgeous 9s or 10s knocked down to a 7 even a 6. So if u can live with it, you're getting a great card cheap. I love it.

Op,
    Nice cards. What is the story u alluded to? The whole set like these? U may have gotten a great deal.
    Keep posting.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    super nice Brett.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭
    Cards look nice. It is always tough with the blown-up scans to know if the corner wear is as noticeable with the card in hand.
    I would sub the Brett, Morgan, and Yount. Depending on how those grade I would then consider subbing the Lynn and Fingers.
    Good luck.

Robb
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I say 8.5 on the Brett, but it might take a few tries.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    regardless of "grade" that Brett RC is a thing of beauty. Certainly a case of buy the card, not the holder
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle